Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Best PS 26U settings in control panel

Last post 09-21-2022, 16:56 by Rafał. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-17-2022, 17:57 824204

Best PS 26U settings in control panel

Welcome back. This time I decided to ask you what are the optimal settings in the PS 26U control panel, mainly when it comes to export and preview.

I will give my:

optimization threshold - 100

render while playing - enabled

hardware acceleration - CUDA (automatic detection)

I play 4k clips on the timeline, but lower the playback resolution to 1/4, or change the timeline resolution to FullHD and set the preview to 1/2.

And the last thing - in addition, in the settings of my RTX 3050 graphics card I recently enabled high performance for BG Renderer and Pinnacle Studio.exe.

I am asking for any hints as to whether the settings are correct.

Let me just add that after changing the settings from normal to high GPU performance, I noticed that rendering sped up significantly in the timeline

(if I don't add any effects, the colorization actually doesn't even see the render in the timeline - is that a good symptom?).

Thanks for any comments

Raphael

•  09-18-2022, 3:35 824211 in reply to 824204

Re: Best PS 26U settings in control panel

Rafał:

(if I don't add any effects, the colorization actually doesn't even see the render in the timeline - is that a good symptom?).

Thanks for any comments

Raphael

Could you explain that a little more? I think you mean that the coloured bars above the timeline don't appear on plain footage but that's not my experience here. Whenever PO is at 100%, they always appear until render is completed.

Rendering while Playing back may make your playback stutter more. If it doesn't (and 26 seems to be better at this that earlier versions), or you don't mind it doing so then leave it on. I use Off. Also I tend to work with Optimization at a lower level than 100% as I can play rendered plain footage smoothly without rendering.

There are too many other variables for me to give you any definitive advice. Best to experiment and find the sweet spot for your own hardware and footage. For example, I have a desktop that has dual screens and I use the second screen for full screen preview. The best setting for that are different from my laptop, even though it has a UHD screen.

•  09-18-2022, 3:59 824212 in reply to 824211

Yes, when high performance is enabled on the RTX 3050, an orange timeline bar does not appear above the uploaded video clip. 
    You also have high performance set on Windows for render and pinnacle studio.exe, don't you need to activate it?
    Previously, I didn't have high-performance GPU enabled and the orange bar turned on right after uploading the video to the timeline. 
    I also noticed that the GPU is now running more than the CPU. 
    What is the average rendering activity of your CPU and GPU in the task manager? 
    I mean the average percentage for basic video editing (colorization).
  •  09-20-2022, 3:04 824274 in reply to 824212

Rafał:
    I mean the average percentage for basic video editing (colorization).
    What do you mean exactly by this phrase? Do you mean how much activity it takes to render footage that has been graded? I tend to shoot stuff that is properly exposed and colour balanced and don't mess about with it just for the sake of it. Do you shoot in Log?
  •  09-20-2022, 10:48 824277 in reply to 824212

Not everyones eye vision is the same so I tend to leave colour interpretation well alone unless it is just a problem with brightness or contrast.

However, although I can distinquish red, amber and green traffic lights, I cannot see the difference in colour on the timeline bar between where the timeline has been rendered and not rendered. To correct this I have to tweak the hue setting in the Intel graphics control panel. This is done only for the Pinnacle screen and not for the main video preview on another monitor.

I mention this in passing although it may not be associated with any of your problems. 

•  09-20-2022, 14:27 824286 in reply to 824212

Unless someone has the exact same footage and same adjustments, there is no way to know what is "average". One number higher or lower affects millions of pixels resulting in differences in hardware usage.

If you want to know where Pinnacle ranks in rendering, read PCMag Review and scroll down to performance. That will give you an idea of how Pinnacle compares to other editors.  It's not the fastest, but it is no slouch. 

And there is more to editing than just rendering. I spend far more time editing a project than exporting. I can spend for 1 minute of video several hours of editing, depending on what I have to do.

People rave about Resolve... look at it's speed in that render test. And look at it compared to Premiere and Vegas. Yes, those editors do more, but you get the idea. 

•  09-20-2022, 17:56 824290 in reply to 824274

jjn, I do not shoot films in a logarithmic profile, but a standard one.

I have a Sony A6400 camera and I shoot movies in 4K (XAVC S), 25P, 8Bit, 4: 2: 0, H.264 codec. Also, as you can see, this is not top-shelf equipment.

Even though I have a powerful PC, I have a problem with the image stuttering on the PS26U's timeline and I don't know why, what I need to change in the settings so that the image plays smoothly and not laggy.

•  09-21-2022, 14:07 824302 in reply to 824290

Have you changed Optimization? Are you referring to just playing back the clips, or playing back clips with things you have done to them.
  •  09-21-2022, 16:56 824306 in reply to 824302

Yes, I changed the playback optimization threshold as you advised me

- I set it to 0 and set automatic rendering during playback.

The effect was that I didn't see any background rendering, I could work normally on the timeline,

the image ran smoothly, but until it started to stutter after a while on later clips sometimes

it didn't even play the audio track or the pointer / playhead she didn't want to move, when I turned Enter.

So I turned off the PS26U and set the optimization threshold to 50, then 70.

The situation was similar - except that the render bar was already visible.

I currently have these settings and work on them.

The image also crops up sometimes, but I can work.

I guess there must be some mismatch somewhere,

I don't know if in this PS26 app or some hardware in my PC.

I will update Windows from 10 to 11 soon, maybe it will help, I don't know.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy