Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Pinnacle Studio 26 Ultimate - video stuttering issue and RTX 3050 GPU compatibility

Last post 09-23-2022, 5:10 by Tony P. 22 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-14-2022, 9:03 824177

Pinnacle Studio 26 Ultimate - video stuttering issue and RTX 3050 GPU compatibility

Hello. I have this problem with the latest version of Pinnacle Studio 26 Ultimate. After changing the integrated graphics card Intel UHD 630 to the dedicated MSI RTX 3050 8 GB VRAM, the rendering did not improve, nor did the export of movies accelerate. I thought I would experience a big difference in PS 26U software performance using CUDA hardware acceleration enabled (my new GPU has 2,560 CUDA cores) but I was disappointed. I am thinking about returning the RTX 3050 graphics card, because the change of the GPU gave me practically nothing - maybe only the fact that I can export movies in the H.265 codec. Do you think it's worth going back to the integrated Intel 630? After changing the graphics card to the RTX 3050, I also noticed that the video image is clipping more than it was before, the audio works, but the image itself freezes and lags in display, I do not know what is causing this. Do you have any ideas on how to solve this problem? I regret to say that the latest PS 26U update praised by the manufacturer does not work on my powerful PC hardware as I expect it from modern video editing software. I will just add that I have an Intel i9-9900K 3.6GHz processor, 32GB RAM 3600MHz Crucial Ballistix, two fast M.2 Samsung EVO Plus SSDs, MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard, and yet the PS 26U is slow for me. Help me, what should I do.

Regards,

Raphael

•  09-14-2022, 11:43 824178 in reply to 824177

Re: Pinnacle Studio 26 Ultimate - video stuttering issue and RTX 3050 GPU compatibility

Just in case this one slipped by you, did you verify that the HW Acceleration type is now set to Cuda in the PS26U Control Panel?

In general PS always (for many versions over many years) seems to render slowly.

I'm preparing my own post on the subject.

Good luck! 

•  09-14-2022, 15:40 824182 in reply to 824178

Re: Pinnacle Studio 26 Ultimate - video stuttering issue and RTX 3050 GPU compatibility

Yes, the hardware acceleration on the PS 26U is automatically set to CUDA - I understand that this is what it should be set to with NVidia graphics cards?
  •  09-14-2022, 16:23 824184 in reply to 824178

Sbaiera wrote:

Just in case this one slipped by you, did you verify that the HW Acceleration type is now set to Cuda in the PS26U Control Panel?

Pinnacle is usually accurate in selecting which hardware acceleration to use. But when there is both Intel and Nvidia, I too would think which one is selected.

In general PS always (for many versions over many years) seems to render slowly.

Render slowly as compared to what? PCMag, which tests Videostudio Pro, PowerDirector, Pinnacle, Vegas, Resolve and Magix has a different view, rating Pinnacle one of the fastest in rendering. Yes, not as fast as some, but more than fast enough. Scroll down if you don't want to read the full review HERE. It's one area where it is quite good compared to the competition, and has always been extremely competitive over the years.

Looking forward to reading it!

•  09-14-2022, 16:26 824185 in reply to 824182

Rafał:
    Yes, the hardware acceleration on the PS 26U is automatically set to CUDA - I understand that this is what it should be set to with NVidia graphics cards?

Yes, that is correct. As for speed in exporting, QuickSync is pretty quick itself. Since you have both, you can run the test yourself. All you would have to do is unplug the power cables to the graphics card to see how fast the Intel iGPU is. 

As for expected speed increase... and this is based on what reasoning?

•  09-15-2022, 1:30 824187 in reply to 824185

Tony P, as long as I just unplug the power cable from the GPU and plug it into the integrated Intel, I will test the speed of rendering and exporting the movie. I think it will be very similar. Previously, I worked on the 23 PS version and rendered using the integrated Intel 630 GPU, I watched the indicators in the task manager, only the processor was 100% loaded, now, with a dedicated GPU, the situation has changed - the RTX 3050 graphics card takes over some of the tasks - the most it is visible when exporting the movie. Tony P, do you advise me to leave the dedicated RTX 3050 card and use it in PS26 and CUDA hardware acceleration, or go back to Intel UHD 630?
  •  09-15-2022, 1:50 824188 in reply to 824187

Tony P, I asked you about the MSI RTX 3050 8GB VRAM Gaming X card, because I still have the option of returning it to the store and buying something else, maybe better for rendering / exporting in the PS 26U, but I don't know if it makes sense to buy something else, since this software and so it mainly uses the processor (in my case Intel i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 8 threads and 16 cores) and RAM (I have 32GB DDR4 3600MHz). It seems to me that this software - as someone previously pointed out on this forum - does not use full hardware acceleration when it comes to modern GPUs. Also, buying an expensive and powerful / gaming graphics card only for PS 26U is pointless, because you will not use its advantages anyway. If I'm wrong, correct me.
  •  09-15-2022, 17:58 824190 in reply to 824188

I have several different editors on my computer. From consumer to professional. And not one of them uses everything that I have listed below except for RAM, which depends on the type of video I am editing.

I am not quite sure what people are looking for or do they understand how the hardware is being used.

A simple test is get some 4K MP4 footage. Don't do anything to it and export. Watch Task Manager to see what is used. Next, start adding effects. What you and others seem to not fully understand is that not everything is fully optimized for GPU/CPU usage. But I would wager, a faster CPU and GPU will result in faster exporting.

I had an AMD RX480 8GB card before the one listed below. I did a test before swapping out the card. The RX480 would be utilized a lot. Sometimes 100%. I switched to the RX6700 XT, and things went by up to 3 times faster, yet, the card wasn't even close to being maxed out. And none of the pro editors max it out either. 

•  09-16-2022, 3:07 824191 in reply to 824190

Tony P, there is no doubt that you have a better processor and graphics card than me, but my hardware is also very good and sufficient for 4K video editing - I have read many reviews on the internet confirming this fact. I agree with you that raw source video files that are not colored are exported to MP4 much faster than those with even basic editing. I saw it in the task manager, slamming the export of files thrown into the timeline from the camera and not subjected to any processing. Tony P, thank you for your insights on PS26U and I think we can close this topic already
  •  09-19-2022, 7:51 824244 in reply to 824190

Tony P, I have one more question for you: How many percent are your CPU, GPU and RAM used during video rendering and exporting? Could you check it in the task manager? I would like to compare your results with my own. 
    And one more thing, in the PS 26U control panel, in the "export and preview" tab, what optimization threshold you have set and whether you have rendering on during playback. 
    Recently, I turned on GPU hardware acceleration in my graphics card settings and chose high performance for Pinancle Studio.exe and BG Renderer. 
    After that move, I noticed that after putting most of the video files in 4K on the timeline, you don't even see them rendering, the process takes place so quickly. 
    Do you have hardware acceleration on your GPU in windows too?
  •  09-19-2022, 8:18 824245 in reply to 824244

@ Rafal

Once again : would you use another method to write your messages ? The horizontal slider is very annoying.

•  09-19-2022, 8:55 824246 in reply to 824244

Rafal, unless we are using the same files and project, what I may experience with my hardware usage would be different than yours. 

I usually have Optimization set to "0", and Render While Play set to Automatic.

With Optimization "0" I can play back 100Mb/s 4K 25P 8bit with no problem at all. Playback is smooth, whether I have  Playback Resolution (bottom left of Preview) set to Full or 1/2.

I can play back the timeline (nothing done to it) with Optimization set to "85" and playback is still smooth.

CPU usage will be around 20-25% and GPU will be around 18%. 

Don't think that this is underutilizing my hardware. It isn't. This is all that is needed for my computer to give me smooth playback.

Now... when you start adding effects, titles, color grading/correcting, etc., everything depends on whether they are hardware accelerated to begin with. If they are not, then you won't see your hardware being pressed. But a faster CPU/GPU will get the job done quicker.

•  09-19-2022, 9:41 824247 in reply to 824246

thanks sincerely, I will try your settings on my equipment, I will see if the video still stutters as i have now, will it play smoothly, especially in slow motion
  •  09-19-2022, 10:32 824251 in reply to 824247

You also have to remember, my hardware is a little more powerful than yours. So for footage I use, it's not an issue playing anything back. But again, once you start to add transitions, etc., the "speed" of how smooth playback is depends on how the transitions are "programmed" to use hardware.

If you create a project package that can be downloaded, I can give you my results of testing it. It doesn't have to be big, just a few short clips and what you do with them.

You can create a package by going to Save As>Save as type>Studio Project Package (*.axx). It will include everything you did on the timeline along with what assets you used to create it.

Then upload the package to the cloud/Google Drive/WeTransfer, or the cloud provider of your choice. Then put the link in a reply to this post. 

Possibly others, with different computer builds can also test it and report their findings. 

•  09-19-2022, 11:50 824257 in reply to 824251

ok i will see what can be done thanks for the advice
  •  09-20-2022, 14:17 824284 in reply to 824184

Tony P:

Sbaiera wrote:

Pinnacle is usually accurate in selecting which hardware acceleration to use. But when there is both Intel and Nvidia, I too would think which one is selected.

Render slowly as compared to what? PCMag, which tests Videostudio Pro, PowerDirector, Pinnacle, Vegas, Resolve and Magix has a different view, rating Pinnacle one of the fastest in rendering. Yes, not as fast as some, but more than fast enough. Scroll down if you don't want to read the full review HERE. It's one area where it is quite good compared to the competition, and has always been extremely competitive over the years.

Looking forward to reading it!

Hey Tony.  Thanks for the response.

I knew that PS26U would auto-detect, but it wasn't clear if you had added the HW after PS26U was installed, so I wasn't certain if it would pick up the HW.

As for rendering being slow...slow is a relative term.  Put it this way, rendering under PS26U on my current PC doesn't seem to be a whole lot faster than it was under prior versions on a significantly older PC w/o a dedicated GPU.

Additionally, my question is about more than just the speed.  It's more about the fact that PS26U isn't making full use of the available resources.  My CPU, RAM, GPU, and GPU RAM are all under utilized. 

If the machine was tapped out and sluggish then I would say that it's doing everything that it can.  However, when PS26U is only using ~30%-40% of the resources then I don't feel that the software is taking full advantage of the hardware.

Here is the link to my other post:  http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/thread/824179.aspx 

How does PS26U run on your setup?  Does it make use of more than ~30%-40% of the available resources?

•  09-20-2022, 14:40 824287 in reply to 824284

If Pinnacle isn't making use of everything you have, neither is any other editor. Including Premiere Pro, Vegas and Resolve. All that cost a ton more money than lowly Pinnacle.

Unless you compare exporting the same project on different hardware, you will never know. Bias can affect how someone perceives what is happening.

Again, everything is related to what is done with the video on the timeline and how the GPU will handle it. GPU acceleration is far superior to CPU. It's easy for you to test. Change your hardware acceleration to NONE, export and time it. Next, enable GPU and time it again.

As for how PS26 works on my computer, I can play back 24P 4K 10bit 4:2:2 with no problem. My hardware is hardly being used. But then, it's playing back at 24fps.

So, come up with a project package, post your results, and others might join in and test it and post theirs. I will....then you can see if more powerful hardware makes a difference. I know the answer to that one....

•  09-20-2022, 17:39 824288 in reply to 824287

Tony P, I agree with sBaiera's opinion - PS26U does not use the full hardware power of strong and efficient CPU / GPU, in my opinion it is such a "bottleneck".

If I hadn't enabled the high performance of my RTX 3050 in Windows 10, its use on the PS26U similarly was around 20-40%, and the CPU did the rest of the work.

Now the roles have changed - the GPU is used during rendering in the range of 60-80%, and sometimes it reaches even 100%.

SBaiera, try to turn on the so-called "hardware accelerated GPU scheduling" and set high performance for Pinnacle Studio.exe and BG Renderer

- see if your GPU usage increases or not. For me it has grown significantly.

However, dear colleagues, I still have a problem with image stuttering when working on the timeline, I don't know what to do, what settings to apply.

I used all Tony P tips, especially when it comes to the optimization threshold indicator (currently i have it set to 70 and it automatically renders while playing)

and the image continues to stutter, freezes temporarily or is displayed delayed.

Of course, this is not always the case, but it is annoying, especially since my PC is a very efficient 4K movie editing machine, not much inferior to the Tony P

(Intel i9-9900K 4,7GHz timing during rendering, MSI RTX 3050 8GB VRAM Gaming X, 32GB RAM 3600MHz, MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard ...).

Where is the problem then? Why is the image choppy, maybe it's the fault of my AOC 4K monitor refresh rate, which is 60Hz? Do you have any ideas?

Finally, I will add that I record Sony A6400 DSLR movies in 4K (XAVC S) using the H.264 codec at 25p, 8 bit, sampling 4: 2: 0.

I don't know if it has any significance when working on the PS26U, but just in case.

•  09-21-2022, 14:22 824303 in reply to 824288

So you agree that PS26 is not using full hardware, yet you say that sometimes, your GPU is used up to 100%. So where is the problem? I think your understanding is a little different than what all editing software do. You CPU is way slower in doing anything compared to the GPU. BUT your GPU has to have the ability to do what is needed. CUDA cores have nothing (AFAIK) with encode and decoding video. That is what you should be looking at. Your GPU's ability to leverage itself in what you want done on the timeline.

There was this same discussion in a pro editing forum where the performance of a 2080 was almost equal to a 3090ti. IF there is no improvement in the encode/decode of the GPU, then what you get is what you see. Still faster than any CPU out there. 

There is more, but it seems that you are looking for some "magic bullet" that will use 100% of both CPU and GPU. Sorry, it doesn't exist, and can't for many reasons (PCIe lanes, scheduling in M$, coding, etc).

If you have taken the time to read what is being posted, including the article in PCMag comparing rendering times of pro editors and consumer editors, you will see for yourself. Pinnacle is not far off the best, and better than editors that professionals use. 

As for the stuttering of your clip, I don''t have any, if you can provide one, I will test on my computer and post results. 

•  09-21-2022, 16:35 824305 in reply to 824303

Tony P, read with understanding, I noticed 100% use of GPU (very rarely) only after turning on high performance GPU in windows, previously GPU use was at 30-40%.

I'm glad you explained to me that my RTX will be better for PS26U than the older i9-9900 processor

- a very important tip as I think I'm going in the right direction by cranking up more graphics performance and relieving the CPU load at the same time.

This GPU now takes control of the task knowledge and is more used in the PS26U.

I thought the more CUDA stream processors the better for the PS26U, because this software supports CUDA acceleration, but since you say the number of CUDA cores doesn't matter here, that's fine, I won't argue.

I will only add that I noticed this stuttering of the video image not only in the PS26U, but also in the VLC Player, when after starting the movie in 4K, the image did not keep up with the sliding slider,

only after about 5-8 seconds everything returned to normal.

I didn't have this problem when I was using a regular Intel UHD 630 integrated card before and I am very surprised

that I now have much more powerful dedicated graphics and there are sometimes issues with video playback in the timeline.

Or maybe it's not the graphics card's fault, but something else, I don't know.

•  09-22-2022, 14:06 824319 in reply to 824305

Update your drivers directly from Nvidia and Intel. 

Quicksync works very well and is "quick". I would test each one separately and see which gives the best times and quality video. 

•  09-22-2022, 17:32 824326 in reply to 824319

Thanks to Tony P, it seems to me that all drivers are rather up-to-date (certainly for NVidia RTX 3050 - studio version 31.0.15.1694).

By the way, you can give me a link to the website where I can find the latest drivers for Quick sync Intel and Nvidia ?

•  09-23-2022, 5:10 824329 in reply to 824326

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy