Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

OT Wireless Printer

Last post 05-14-2022, 17:39 by saby. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-16-2012, 14:26 531479

OT Wireless Printer

I have this Huge Color Printer, and  im tired of the wife complaining  about looking at it, si,  is  there a way to plug in a wireless card/adapter into the usb or network connection on the printer and  have it connect with the rest on my router that has antenna's? if so, whats the part called? went to Best Buy's but  they have no idea ..
  •  05-16-2012, 17:00 531495 in reply to 531479

Re: OT Wireless Printer

you need a wireless print server

(I actually own one that I've never used -- I think its a Netgear)

an example of what you want is this:

•  05-20-2012, 15:05 531876 in reply to 531479

If the it is already a network printer (with Ethernet as well as USB) you have plenty of options (some listed below in order of increasing cost):

1. Just put the printer somewhere where the wife is happy with it and run a long Ethernet cable to it
    2. Use the house wiring (with "home plug" adapters) instead of a long Ethernet cable
    3. Use a wireless access point that can connect as a client to your router and plug the printer into that
    4. If the printer manufacturer offers a wireless option card for your printer, purchase and install that.
    5. Use a small "nettop" PC having built-in wireless as a print server (set it up, connect the printer to a USB port, set up file/printer sharing and just leave it running with no keyboard/mouse/monitor (use a remote desktop software such as UltraVNC to administer it)

Regarding wireless print servers, I have tried a "cheap & cheerful" one (Edimax PS-1210MFn) with my Canon MP630 all-in-one inkjet printer; the Edimax unit has Ethernet and wireless (b/g/n) and can operate in two modes:
    i. USB-over-network - the printer appears as if locally plugged in; you can use all its features. But I found the device driver was unstable with my MP630, yet worked perfectly with a smaller Canon MP210 all-in-one at work!
    ii. Simple LPR/IPP/RAW print server; printing only; does not provide any feedback from the printer (ink levels, paper jams etc.)

Regards,
    Richard

•  05-14-2022, 17:19 822141 in reply to 531876

Similarly, we can use a sublimation printer with wireless portability. 
  •  05-14-2022, 17:21 822142 in reply to 531876

culpanr:

If the it is already a network printer (with Ethernet as well as USB) you have plenty of options (some listed below in order of increasing cost):

1. Just put the printer somewhere where the wife is happy with it and run a long Ethernet cable to it
    2. Use the house wiring (with "home plug" adapters) instead of a long Ethernet cable
    3. Use a wireless access point that can connect as a client to your router and plug the printer into that
    4. If the printer manufacturer offers a wireless option card for your printer, purchase and install that.
    5. Use a small "nettop" PC having built-in wireless as a print server (set it up, connect the printer to a USB port, set up file/printer sharing and just leave it running with no keyboard/mouse/monitor (use a remote desktop software such as UltraVNC to administer it)

Regarding wireless print servers, I have tried a "cheap & cheerful" one (Edimax PS-1210MFn) with my Canon MP630 all-in-one inkjet printer; the Edimax unit has Ethernet and wireless (b/g/n) and can operate in two modes:
    i. USB-over-network - the printer appears as if locally plugged in; you can use all its features. But I found the device driver was unstable with my MP630, yet worked perfectly with a smaller Canon MP210 all-in-one at work!
    ii. Simple LPR/IPP/RAW print server; printing only; does not provide any feedback from the printer (ink levels, paper jams etc.)

Regards,
    Richard

Subliminal link deleted by saby.

•  05-14-2022, 17:39 822143 in reply to 822142

What's the point of bringing back to life this 10 years old thread ?
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy