Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Question on time remapping

Last post 01-14-2022, 9:05 by Todd123. 11 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-01-2022, 18:22 819487

Question on time remapping

Hi, 

I have a bunch of old 8mm clips that I need to change the speed to 60 percent so that they run properly.   I think I am missing something basic.

When I change the speed to 60 percent from time remapping, the clip slows down, but I have also noticed that the clip is being truncated and I am losing 40 percent of the clip content in the timeline.

What is the trick to slow down the entire clip to 60 percent without truncating?

I had originally thought I needed to use the stretch option, but that doesn't seem to have a way to specify the speed.

thanks 

•  01-02-2022, 5:08 819491 in reply to 819487

Re:Question on time remapping

Hi and welcome to this forum.

You need to use the Stretch mode and not Anchor mode.

With Anchor, if your clip length is for example 10 seconds, whether you slow it down or speed it up, the length remains 10s => if you slow it down, it must be truncated.

With Stretch, if your clip length is for example 10 seconds, if you slow it down, its length is increased, and if you speed it up, its length is reduced. But in both cases, the whole content of the clip is preserved.

To specify the speed in Stretch mode :

•  either trim the left edge of your clip with your mouse. Reduce the length of the clip to speed it up or extend the length of the clip to slow it dow
    • or, for a more accurate result : right click the clip, Modify duration, set a new value
  •  01-02-2022, 9:13 819499 in reply to 819491

Re: Re:Question on time remapping

Thanks Saby, 

Is there a way in stretch mode to be able to specify the speed change as a percentage like we have in anchor mode?   I haven't been able to find it.   I've been working on this particular project for a few years now, and I have over 900 clips to adjust.   I was hoping to be able to select the clip, choose stretch, and then say 60 percent from somewhere.   If I am following, you are suggesting that if I have a 1 minute clip, do the math and manually set the duration to 1m 24 seconds? 

•  01-02-2022, 10:19 819501 in reply to 819499

Todd123:
    If I am following, you are suggesting that if I have a 1 minute clip, do the math and manually set the duration to 1m 24 seconds? 

Exactly. Unlike Anchor, it's not possible to enter a % value.

•  01-02-2022, 11:05 819502 in reply to 819501

Thanks for the help Saby.   That approach works.   Looks like Pinnacle is getting a bit confused when I stretch it on the sections of the clip that I had cut out,   Some of the bad sections seem to come back.   I think I can work around that by exporting the cleaned up clips and reimporting them before stretching them.
  •  01-04-2022, 14:21 819532 in reply to 819487

Re: Question on time remapping

Hi Todd,

Just out of curiosity, have you tried using a 24fps (23.976) timeline for the clips rather than 30fps? This requires less a speed change (75% of original if filmed at 18fps). I do this with my Super 8 reels and it seems to work well.

•  01-04-2022, 17:54 819533 in reply to 819532

PUshield:
    Just out of curiosity, have you tried using a 24fps (23.976) timeline for the clips rather than 30fps? This requires less a speed change (75% of original if filmed at 18fps). I do this with my Super 8 reels and it seems to work well.

I'm guessing that the OP may be needing to use a large speed change to cater for an 8mm film that has been digitised such that 1 film frame ==> 1 video frame, but the resulting video file has been labelled as being 30fps and not 18fps. So the file plays way too fast in Studio and in media players... Changing the project frame rate woyldn't help in that case.

Thinking out loud, if that is the issue, I wonder if there's a third-party tool available that could rewrite the file's metadata to change the reported frame rate from 30 to 18 fps (but not actually changing the video content) to fool Studio and media players to play it at the proper speed?

•  01-09-2022, 8:50 819631 in reply to 819533

PUshield, no I hadn't tried changing the timeline.   With the details below, would it help in my use case? 

Culpanr, that is exactly the issue I am trying to solve.   If anyone has suggestions for tools that solve this issue, it would be a huge help.

I was able to stretch a 60 second film to 80 seconds, and that helped with speed, but it seems to cause other problems in Pinnacle trying to use the stretched films.   For example, after I stretch the film, I tried clipping off the first 6 seconds.   That worked fine.   When I tried to clip again further into the film, Pinnacle moved the position of my first clip so it was no longer showing what I wanted.   

So if I stretch the film to make the speed look right, at this point, I am stuck on being able to make further edits, which is somewhat restrictive. 

•  01-09-2022, 10:16 819633 in reply to 819631

Todd123:
    ...that is exactly the issue I am trying to solve.   If anyone has suggestions for tools that solve this issue, it would be a huge help.

The free program MP4Box might be able to do it... There's a little documentation + download links on the VideoHelp website here (main MP4Box program (command-line tool)) and here (a graphical front-end for MP4Box)

HTH
    Richard

•  01-09-2022, 12:39 819639 in reply to 819633

thanks Richard, I will give that a try.
  •  01-09-2022, 17:07 819646 in reply to 819639

MP4Box will do the conversion as Richard recommended - more information on the syntax for anyone else with the same issue is here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/370692/how-to-change-the-framerate-of-a-video-without-reencoding

I also found another app called HandBreak which also seems to work - https://handbrake.fr/rotation.php?file=HandBrake-1.5.0-x86_64-Win_GUI.exe

thanks for all the help 

•  01-14-2022, 9:05 819763 in reply to 819646

Cycling back in case others have the same issue.

After experimenting, I ended up going with the following command to slow the mp4 file by 60%.

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -filter_complex "setpts=1.66*PTS" output.mp4  

This doesn't change the audio.   That can be done by 

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -filter_complex "setpts=1.66*PTS;atempo=0.6" output.mp4

but the sound isn't really the same.    I ultimately just added the audio after importing the slowed mp4 back into pinnacle.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy