Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

What's the point of software that doesn't work out of the box? Studio v20.6.0.322

Last post 01-14-2022, 12:43 by saby. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-13-2021, 22:51 819135

What's the point of software that doesn't work out of the box? Studio v20.6.0.322

-- drag MP4 files into Project Bin

-- won't preview any MP4 even though it imported them and has thumbnails

-- drag one file to AV Track (1)

-- press play still see empty gray timeline playback even though it appears to be playing

-- double click  and right click preview

-- both play an empty gray screen

-- export file anyway to test

-- blank export video same length as orig

What is the point of making bad software like this? At least gray out the thumbnail instead of pretending something is working.

•  12-13-2021, 23:13 819136 in reply to 819135

Re: What's the point of software that doesn't work out of the box? Studio v20.6.0.322

Oh this gets better.

-- add second MP4 file from same Project Bin

-- insert transition effect

-- of course all without preview working as stated above

-- go to export screen and begin exporting 

-- freezes at the point where transition to 2nd video begins

-- cancel and retry

-- freezes at same exact point

-- maybe it just needs more time...

-- 15 minutes later still frozen on same frame

Yeah it's been a rough day but this software appears to be nothing but bugs right out of the box.

•  12-14-2021, 1:54 819139 in reply to 819136

Re: What's the point of software that doesn't work out of the box? Studio v20.6.0.322

Does the sample project work ?

Give a shot of Mediainfo : http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/thread/708486.aspx to your MP4 and report here its result.

•  12-18-2021, 1:25 819251 in reply to 819139

Where is the sample project located please; then I'll answer that question.

Thank you.

Also, sorry, I don't want to install the software you recommended. It's an MP4 file that plays on my Windows 10 media player no problem. I even converted the original MP4 to a different format using https://cloudconvert.com and then when that wouldn't play either I converted it back to MP4 using their same tool and that didn't play. 

•  12-18-2021, 4:46 819257 in reply to 819251

JoeCreative007:

Where is the sample project located please; then I'll answer that question.

Menu ? of PS20.

JoeCreative007:

Also, sorry, I don't want to install the software you recommended.

Up to you. It helps a lot to detect peculiarities of some video files that are badly handled by Studio. The fact that WMP has no problem to play it back does not mean that this video has no pb. A playback software and a NLE are very different pieces of programs.

Personnaly I have zero issues with PS20.6 like most users. But it's a 5 yo software. Most people are using more recent versions.

•  12-18-2021, 5:30 819261 in reply to 819257

How about giving more information. You have none in your user profile, like what are your computer specs. See mine listed below for a template. The software is 5 years old and you have never used it?

What created the video files you are trying to work with?

You don't want to give any real information that might help to trouble shoot your problem, like using MediaInfo that will show what is "inside" your MP4 container. You do know that MP4 can have anything stuffed into it. Google what MP4 is. 

I don't have PS20 installed any longer. Don't need to since I am using a more current version of the software with more editing features that I use. 

If you really want help in trying to see if there is a solution to your problem, you have to give answers to questions asked. Users and Moderators volunteer their time to help when possible.  

•  01-14-2022, 12:12 819767 in reply to 819251

JoeCreative007:

. It's an MP4 file that plays on my Windows 10 media player no problem. 

In another thread, I also was having problems with a ' .mp4 '  file that played fine in WMP, but had horrible issues when  I tried to add it to Multicam Editor.  And it was a .mp4 file MADE by Pinnacle Studio! 

Well... I learned here that .mp4 files are NOT all equal. I changed my output format from H264 AVC, and went to XAVCS.  Both files end in .mp4.   

But the XAVCS worked like a charm. The H264 AVC had me almost convinced " this software appears to be nothing but bugs right out of the box ".  Nope. Its just really complex and fussy, but it works. Hope you find a way to work through!

•  01-14-2022, 12:37 819768 in reply to 819767

As you can see @Vokemon2, the original poster never replied again..... 

I export everything as H264 and never a problem.  It doesn't matter if it's UHD 4K 10bit 422 24P or 50P 1080. 

•  01-14-2022, 12:43 819769 in reply to 819767

Volkemon2:
    The H264 AVC had me almost convinced " this software appears to be nothing but bugs right out of the box ".  Nope. Its just really complex and fussy, but it works.

More than you would think.

Volkemon2:

In another thread, I also was having problems with a ' .mp4 '  file that played fine in WMP, but had horrible issues when  I tried to add it to Multicam Editor.  And it was a .mp4 file MADE by Pinnacle Studio! 

Well... I learned here that .mp4 files are NOT all equal. I changed my output format from H264 AVC, and went to XAVCS.  Both files end in .mp4.   

But the XAVCS worked like a charm.

Guess what codec is used in XAVCS ?

H264 AVC

And like you already said, both are using .mp4 file format.

I trully don't understand why MCE could not handle the .mp4 created with the H264/AVC "format" (very badly named because it's not a format but a codec) but could with the XVAC S format (it's actually a video format created by Sony).

I've done some test in PS25 creating both files. They are pretty much identical except the GOP structure.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy