Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

PS 21 ULT Red-Eye correction

Last post 10-12-2021, 11:34 by Tony P. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-11-2021, 20:39 817466

PS 21 ULT Red-Eye correction

Assistance needed on Red-Eye Correction.

Photograph on the timeline. Right click on it to open the Effects Editor. Select Corrections>Red Eye. According to the manual: This tool corrects the red-eye effect that often occurs in flash photography when the subject’s gaze is towards the camera. Mark the red around both red eyes with the mouse. Extreme precision shouldn’t be necessary, but you can experiment with changing the area slightly if you are dissatisfied with the correction. I've tried that and nothing happens.When I select "Red Eye", a cross hairs is shown which is placed over the eye and by movement of the mouse with the left button held, a small box around the red iris is generated. However, as soon as I release the left mouse button, the box disappears and selecting "Apply" does not achieve the desired effect although a Green Bar appears on the top of the clip which suggest that something has happened.

•  10-12-2021, 3:40 817469 in reply to 817466

Re:PS 21 ULT Red-Eye correction

It has been fixed in PS22.
  •  10-12-2021, 9:45 817476 in reply to 817469

Re: Re:PS 21 ULT Red-Eye correction

Thanks Saby. I know that you are not responsible for the product but it is unacceptable that there is a need to (re)purchase a program that (allegedly) provides a facility but in practice does not! Feel free to pass on my comments to the developers/marketing people in Coral.
  •  10-12-2021, 10:00 817477 in reply to 817476

Extract of the EULA (End User License Agreement) that you've accepted to install the program :

"The Software when properly installed and under normal use will substantially conform to the features and functionality as set forth in the documentation accompanying the Software, however, the Software may contain normal bugs and errors. Therefore, the Software is provided on an “AS IS” basis with the understanding that bug fixes and Updates will be provided from time to time. This warranty is valid only for the original purchaser of the Software."

Red-eye correction is, in my opinion, a minor feature of Pinnacle Studio. The fact that it doesn't work properly does not contradict this extract of the EULA.

•  10-12-2021, 11:00 817478 in reply to 817477

The most interesting sentence in the quoted extract of the EULA is Therefore, the Software is provided on an “AS IS” basis with the understanding that bug fixes and Updates WILL be provided from time to time. Not wishing to enter into a debate,  where is the bug fix (that WILL be provided from time to time) to fix this minor feature. "Minor" is a relative term and what may be "minor" to one person may have a more significant effect on another.   Perhaps "time to time" could embrace sometime in the next 25 years!!!  Sad In any event, I found a quick and successful fix but Coral's view on such matters does not lend itself to customer loyalty.
  •  10-12-2021, 11:15 817479 in reply to 817478

Darcon:
    Not wishing to enter into a debate,  where is the bug fix (that WILL be provided from time to time) to fix this minor feature. "Minor" is a relative term and what may be "minor" to one person may have a more significant effect on another.

Don't forget that thanks to the UEIP (User Experience Improvement Program) enabled by default in Pinnacle Studio, Corel has statistics of which feature is massively used or rarely used. I'm sure they can see this feature is actually a minor feature. It helps us to decide where to put their developpement ressources that are not unlimited.

Other information : search for "red-eye" in this forum and you'll see that it's not a big deal for people.

•  10-12-2021, 11:34 817480 in reply to 817479

I was having a discussion with someone who uses the same software I do. He was commenting on a feature set that he thought was valuable (and it is), and thought that it's short comings should be addressed. I said what mine were and they are different from his. I said go to the software forum and others have different thoughts on what is "important", and that usually means, to their particular workflow. With the telemetry in software "phoning home", it is true, the developers do know what is and is not being used. 

For "me" red eye in PS is a nice feature that can save some time, but I'd rather use a photo editor.  PS, while working, was "hit or miss" sometimes. And that was a time waster for me. The results with a photo editor are usually better and faster.  I usually use my own images anyway, which never haver red eye problems.

As for the bug being fixed, it was.... in PS22. 

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy