Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Exit Pan and Zoom

Last post 09-16-2021, 4:09 by Tony P. 17 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-13-2021, 18:25 816928

Exit Pan and Zoom

Can somebody please tell me how to get rid of the Pan and Zoom Source and View windows in Pinnacle 24?  I thought I would try a Pan and Zoom but of course I couldn't figure it out and I couldn't find any worthwhile documentation.  I found out how to get INTO the Pan and Zoom but not how to exit out of it.  Of course the developers couldn't put a little x on the window or have industry standard buttons like OK, CANCEL or EXIT for navigation.  I couldn't find any Studio 24 tutorials and the standard document was no help.  Thanks for any assistance.

Update:  I'm no longer in Pan and Zoom, but what happened is that I used to have tabs named Source Timeline and Menu but now the Source is a separate window that is no longer "docked" to the main window.  I'm trying to get it back to the way it was before I entered the Pan and Zoom which then created a separate Source window.  Hope that makes sense.  And since that happened, Studio is now crashing when I bring it up.  I did a  "reset" and now I have Menu window with Source and Timeline tabs underneath it, which is what I wanted.  Seems like a poor design to me, but I got it to work.

And for what it's worth, the reset and then subsequent opening of my project took minutes and Windows Task Manager showed heavy, heavy (in red) power consumption.  But once it finished doing what it was doing, the power indicator went back down.

•  09-14-2021, 4:28 816937 in reply to 816928

Re: Exit Pan and Zoom

When you undock a window, you will see in the upper right corner box with and arrow inside. Click on that and the window will be docked again. 

When you reset, it's putting everything back to day one. You sent some time clicking and moving things around. The documentation on this (docking) doesn't appear to be in the online manual for the software, so it can be confusing the first time trying to put things back to where they were.  

•  09-14-2021, 12:24 816943 in reply to 816937

Thanks for the suggestion, but I still have the problem.  When I click on the Pan and Zoom, it opens, for lack of a better term, I will say a new window at the top of the display.  So I have three windows on top - the Library/Editor/Title window on the left, a middle window with a Source tab and a Pan and Zoom Source tab, then a 3rd Pan and Zoom View with Timeline and Menu tabs. 

But everything is docked already.  All 3 have the little arrow in the box upper right, but it's an "Undock" option.  I don't see anyway to get back to where I was.  I just closed the program without saving anything but when I bring it back up that middle Source window is still there with "Nothing selected" in the window. 

I want to get rid of that, but don't see how to do it.  Last night I went back to an older version of my project to get rid of it, but I just stupidly went into the Pan and Zoom to document this post and now I can't get rid of it and I hate to revert again because I made some edits last night.

I can't believe that going into Pan and Zoom will alter the display without there being a way to get back to "normal".  As it turns out, I'm not going to use the option at all but it's taking up space on my display.  Seems to be a very poor implementation by the developers.

I did a "reset" and got my display back to where it was, without the Pan and Zoom stuff.

•  09-14-2021, 14:35 816945 in reply to 816943

How about giving a screen shot of it. Here is HOW to add a screenshot to your post.

If you look at the top right (where the Dock arrow is), you will see two squares. Click on it.

It's not a poor implementation, it's that you don't know "how".  

•  09-14-2021, 16:00 816947 in reply to 816945

Attachment: Screen 3.jpg

OK.  I will give you partial credit for pointing out the 2 squares in the upper right hand corner.  Hovering over them doesn't display anything.  I suppose I could have clicked on it to see what happens. 

However, I'm only giving you partial credit because it did get rid of the window I didn't want.  However, although it's somewhat minor, you can see in my 3rd screenshot that the display didn't go back exactly the way it was.  You may notice the top part of the display has been cut off because of the Pan and Zoom tabs that weren't there before. 

I still maintain that some user friendly tabs, such as Exit or Cancel, would be better to get out of the Pan and Zoom option. I was an IT software developer for over 35 years and wrote very specific documentation so I never got calls from people who couldn't figure out what to do.  But of course this software primarily uses icons to make it easier for other language speaking users.  I get that.  But I still get frustrated by it.

Thanks for your reply.

PS - My screenshots were cut off at the bottom because I exceeded the size limit so I just showed the top part.

PSS - Just noticed in the upper right hand corner of my 3rd screen print I lost the name of my open project and its duration.  I'm back to my "poor design" comment.

•  09-14-2021, 16:02 816948 in reply to 816947

Attachment: Screen 2.jpg

•  09-14-2021, 16:03 816949 in reply to 816948

Attachment: Screen 1.jpg
    Apparently I can only do 1 screenshot at a time.  Or there's something else I don't know how to do.

•  09-14-2021, 16:46 816950 in reply to 816949

First, do you have Tooltips ON? If you did, you would know it's Dual Mode with an explanation. Go to Control Panel>Legacy  Options and you will see Tooltips. 

Also, what screen resolution are you using? And only one screen shot per post. 

What is puzzling me is where the Menu came from.  

ADDED: As for the poor design of the screen shots, I have no problem with them. You have guidelines and have to follow them. As an IT person, you would know that. 

•  09-14-2021, 20:56 816951 in reply to 816950

I do have Tooltips turned.  The Dock and Undock always show when I hover the cursor over it.  For some reason the Dual Mode sometimes displays and sometimes does not, both when it's docked and undocked.  But since I know now what that icon does now, it doesn't matter if it displays.  It seems to work with all the other icons down on the tool bar.

If you're referring to my monitor resolution, it's 1920 x 1080.

I wasn't saying that the screen print design was poor.  I was just pointing out that you could see in Screen 3 that in the upper right hand corner the Disc Editor: was blank instead of having my project name, and both times (overall duration of the project and the current location) were missing. Seems like a bug to me.

I'm not sure what "guidelines" you were implying I wasn't following.  But again - and this is just me - if there are guidelines that must be followed the software should tell you if you are trying to do something wrong.

But thanks again for your help in pointing out the icon in the upper right corner.  I'm good now.

•  09-15-2021, 6:05 816953 in reply to 816951

Attachment: PS24 Disc Screen.jpg

Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant by what you meant with the project name missing.

The reason that you lost the name of the project in the 3rd image (in your post), is because you were in Pan and Zoom view, and not the Timeline view where the project name will be. Click on it and the disc name will appear. 

The reason I asked what screen resolution was because for a 1920x1080 screen, I can see more information and don't exceed the file size limit for adding a screen shot using the method in the link I posted. Your screenshot made me think that the minimum screen resolution was not being met.

•  09-15-2021, 8:59 816957 in reply to 816953

Tony P:
    The reason I asked what screen resolution was because for a 1920x1080 screen, I can see more information and don't exceed the file size limit for adding a screen shot using the method in the link I posted. Your screenshot made me think that the minimum screen resolution was not being met.

I wonder if the OP is using a laptop with a small-ish (14-15 inch?) screen - and Windows has by default set the display scaling to 125% or even 150%? I've got a laptop with a 15.6 inch full-HD 1920x1080 screen and Windows by default sets the display scaling to 125%

•  09-15-2021, 9:42 816958 in reply to 816957

That was my first thought.... a 14" laptop.... 
  •  09-15-2021, 14:05 816961 in reply to 816958

I'm old school.  I have a desktop with a 24" monitor.  At some point while attaching my screenshots I had a message about the size being too big, that's why I cut off the bottom.  Although I didn't have Studio using the full screen, so I'm surprised I hit the limit.  No big deal though.

Thanks for pointing out why I didn't have the name and duration info.  Appreciate all your help. 

•  09-15-2021, 14:29 816962 in reply to 816961

It s a limitation of the forum's software.

Attached files must be less than 500 Kb IIRC. 

•  09-15-2021, 14:42 816963 in reply to 816961

rjh213:
    I'm old school.  I have a desktop with a 24" monitor.

It seemed strange to Tony and I that your Studio user interface seemed to be quite "crowded" (not much space when you had the dual monitor view showing the pan and zoom etc.). Are you using Windows display scaling above 100%, or has Windows sneakily reduced the display resolution without you noticing?

At some point while attaching my screenshots I had a message about the size being too big, that's why I cut off the bottom.

This forum has quite a low image size limit (I think it's 512kb). But you ought still to be able to attach full-HD 1920x1080 .JPG screen-grabs; if the file size is turning out too big are you saving those images in a lossless format or with .JPG "quality" up at 100% (so there isn't a lot of compression)?

Regards,
    Richard

•  09-15-2021, 16:18 816965 in reply to 816963

I'm at 100%, but here's what I did that probably threw things off...

I don't have Studio taking up the whole monitor.  I know there's a way to do a screen print of just one window, but I don't remember offhand what it is.  All I wanted to do was send the Studio screen.  So I did a full screen shot, copied it into Paint, selected what I wanted and then did a copy and paste into a new Paint document.  That's what I sent. 

I know that probably sounds stupid, but I'm pretty quick on a keyboard when I know what I'm doing and I thought that it would be quicker for me to do what I did than to research the partial windows screen shot.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

•  09-15-2021, 17:00 816966 in reply to 816965

rjh213:
    I don't have Studio taking up the whole monitor.  I know there's a way to do a screen print of just one window, but I don't remember offhand what it is.

That explains why your Studio interface looks crowded... Any particular reason why you don't run Studio maximised to full screen?

BTW ALT+PrintScreen is the keystroke to take the screen-grab of the active window.

I still don't understand why your screenshot was too big to upload without cropping it; the test one I've attached was created by hitting ALT+PrintScreen to grab the full-screen Studio UI, pasting it into Paint3D and saving as a .JPG. File size turned out around 320kb.

Regards,
    Richard

•  09-16-2021, 4:09 816973 in reply to 816966

My screenshot is full 1920x1080. I used PrintScreen to copy, and pasted in Paint. Size of image is 420KB, well under the 512KB limit. No adjustments to it.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy