Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Corrupt audio on Mini DV cassette

Last post 08-26-2021, 16:35 by culpanr. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-20-2021, 14:53 816438

Corrupt audio on Mini DV cassette

I'm trying to import a friend's mini DV cassette onto an external drive for him. (I'll mention that this cassette was recorded in Europe in case it makes a difference). The audio appears corrupt when I play it on my Sony handycam camera. Once imported onto my computer the video is excellent but the audio is useless with the odd spurt of coherent sound from time to time. 

I don't know why this is so, as I've never encountered such a problem before. 

Is there a setting that I need to change because it was recorded on a European camera?

The audio track is full of sound waves  

•  08-22-2021, 6:18 816494 in reply to 816438

Re: Corrupt audio on Mini DV cassette

Most DV recordings are interlaced (for playback on TV). In the US the NTSC standard is used while in Europe PAL (most countries) or SECAM (e.g., France and Russia) is the standard. 

However, I'm not sure if that is the cause of your issue. 

•  08-22-2021, 6:46 816499 in reply to 816494

I just saw that you also posted in the French forum and that Saby replied:http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/thread/816476.aspx.
  •  08-22-2021, 9:53 816506 in reply to 816499

If the problem is not one of Type 2 DV vs Type 1 DV (as Saby posted in the French forum) - another possibility is that the audio was recorded in a format that the OP's camera does not recognise (maybe the OP's camera needs a manual setting change to switch between 12 bit/32kHz and 16 bit/48kHz sound, or to choose an alternative (e.g. "multilingual") soundrack)?

•  08-26-2021, 12:17 816626 in reply to 816506

I tried Saby's utility DVDATE to change the type. It went from type  2 to type 1. Nothing seems to have changed. The video is very good but the audio is still corrupt. I believe the video was recorded on a MiniDV cassette in PAL format in France. I have two cassettes that are that way.. Could there be some sort of setting required when exporting from Pinnacle?

•  08-26-2021, 16:35 816631 in reply to 816626

keysol:
    I tried Saby's utility DVDATE to change the type. It went from type  2 to type 1. Nothing seems to have changed. The video is very good but the audio is still corrupt. I believe the video was recorded on a MiniDV cassette in PAL format in France. I have two cassettes that are that way.. Could there be some sort of setting required when exporting from Pinnacle?

How are you importing that video intoo Studio - I am assuming that you playing the tape in your camera and capturing via a Firewire connection?

If you are using Studio's Importer (or another capture program) to capture via a Firewire connection, there are no capture-time settings beyiond choosing the capture format (e.g. DV or MPEG). But you are reliant on your camcorder actually supporting playback of a PAL tape (entry-level USA-market models may not); though geting a stable picture suggests your does... However be aware that the sound can be recorded in different ways om a MiniDV tape (16 bit/48kHz or 12 bit/32kHz), and you may have to go into the menu system of your camcorder to find the compatible setting if it isn't detecting the setting automatically.

Regards,
    Richard

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy