Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Jerky Page Curl Transition - ?Bug

Last post 02-26-2021, 7:02 by Smoothie. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-21-2021, 18:28 811966

Jerky Page Curl Transition - ?Bug

On my timeline in PS24U I have a junction between two mp4 files (audio detached) and each have some leeway.  I have successfully made a 2 sec dissolve between the two which, on playback, is perfectly smooth.  I then replaced the dissolve by a page curl from the transition library and both on the timeline and after exporting to an mp4 file (played back using VLC) the page curl is jerky and unusable. Why is this?
  •  02-21-2021, 22:24 811973 in reply to 811966

Re: Jerky Page Curl Transition

Hi Smoothie,

I took two clips from Pinnacle Studio 24 Revealed by Jeff Naylor and added a page curl but was not able to replicate your issue. See link to the clip:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkbXhziF2pP0qQWKXJEH81Qx_4VM?e=x04nQl

•  02-22-2021, 2:37 811977 in reply to 811973

Candive:

Hi Smoothie,

I took two clips from Pinnacle Studio 24 Revealed by Jeff Naylor and added a page curl but was not able to replicate your issue. See link to the clip:

Excellent, but why is it not working for me?  Could it be a RAM problem as I have only 8GB to your 16?

•  02-22-2021, 3:51 811979 in reply to 811977

Smoothie:
    Candive:

Hi Smoothie,

Excellent, but why is it not working for me?  Could it be a RAM problem as I have only 8GB to your 16?

On the timeline, does it play back ok? What are your timeline and Export settings?

If you open Task Manager, you will see how much RAM is being used. I doubt that you are reaching your RAM limit unless the project is really long and you have a lot of other things running in the background.

•  02-24-2021, 5:33 812013 in reply to 811979

Tony P:

On the timeline, does it play back ok? What are your timeline and Export settings?

If you open Task Manager, you will see how much RAM is being used. I doubt that you are reaching your RAM limit unless the project is really long and you have a lot of other things running in the background.

Apologies for delay in replying, Tony.

To answer your points in order: No, the Page Curl transition doesn’t work on timeline. Export settings are Best quality; P/b optimisation: 60% (but still same if increased to 100%); Third party codecs unticked; Hardware Acceleration: Intel/Auto-Detect.  Task manager shows NGStudio: 1,145 Mb Memory use (but it is coloured dark yellow whereas all others are light yellow); CPU 0.5% at rest. 

Standard dissolves work fine, so will try other transitions, perhaps on different mp4 files in case the mp4 I am using has strange anomalies within its container.

UPDATE: Have just tried putting two simple jpg stills on timeline with same result: dissolve works fine but page curl still doesn’t - the curl jerks across.  Also when selecting page curl or some other 2D-3D transitions, they don’t change A>>B on Preview (Source) screen.

More clues: On double clicking Page Curl, the other variations of Page Curl work (rendering takes place); ditto Page Peel; ditto Falling Crystals and Explode GPU; however the transition called Smooth has no variations on double-clicking and so does not work or show an A>>B change in preview.  Seems that the Top Level thumbnail transitions don’t work and are just headers - even though the option “Send to Timeline” appears on the right-click menu. Surely this can’t be right?

Thanks again for your help. 

•  02-24-2021, 15:29 812027 in reply to 812013

Which page curl?

I tried in Peels Curls and Waves, PRO-Page Turn and BAS Page Peel. In Transitions, STB-Page Peel. They all work as they should.

Are you talking about timeline playback or when you export and you see in the finished video this problem.

•  02-25-2021, 10:47 812043 in reply to 812027

Tony P:

Which page curl?

I tried in Peels Curls and Waves, PRO-Page Turn and BAS Page Peel. In Transitions, STB-Page Peel. They all work as they should.

Are you talking about timeline playback or when you export and you see in the finished video this problem.

Am having the problem both on timeline and on export as rendering is not taking place.  Location: Select Transitions then 2D-3D then Page Curl.  All the four Page Curls render (and therefore work) when you open them up by clicking the double right facing chevron >> but the basic Page Curl (before you reveal the four others by pressing >>) doesn’t seem to render, or show A>B preview and so jerks across from one image to the other when on the timeline. 

•  02-25-2021, 16:51 812052 in reply to 812043

Smoothie:
    ...Location: Select Transitions then 2D-3D then Page Curl.  All the four Page Curls render (and therefore work) when you open them up by clicking the double right facing chevron >> but the basic Page Curl (before you reveal the four others by pressing >>) doesn’t seem to render, or show A>B preview and so jerks across from one image to the other when on the timeline. 

That behaviour appears to be an artefact (bug) caused by the introduction of those "stacked" sets of transitions (and also effects) with the double chevron. The transition or effect that shows when the "stack" is closed appears to be a "null" or "no preset" version that does nothing - and not some more-useful default as it may have been in an older Studio version.

Probably needs someone with "connections" to report it as a bug...

Regards,
    Richard

•  02-25-2021, 17:39 812054 in reply to 812052

culpanr:

That behaviour appears to be an artefact (bug) caused by the introduction of those "stacked" sets of transitions (and also effects) with the double chevron. The transition or effect that shows when the "stack" is closed appears to be a "null" or "no preset" version that does nothing - and not some more-useful default as it may have been in an older Studio version.

Probably needs someone with "connections" to report it as a bug...

Regards,
    Richard

Thank you, Richard, for confirming my suspicions - I thought I was going mad!   

Not sure about previous versions of Studio (as I migrated from Liquid Edition and Studio 9 way before that) but it would make sense to remove the “send to timeline” right-click option (and the ability to drag & drop) from the “Stack Header” and make them simply thumbnail “stack access” graphics. Alternatively a working option could be provided for a basic transition - which is what I thought I was selecting!

To whom can we report the bug? Perhaps Jeff (jjn) knows?

•  02-26-2021, 2:41 812058 in reply to 812054

Smoothie:

Richard is the right person too.

•  02-26-2021, 5:52 812062 in reply to 812058

What I did was click on the Transition icon and typed in Peel to see them since I didn't know specifically where to look or which one you were using. I then dragged a transition to the timeline and it played back properly.

•  02-26-2021, 6:47 812064 in reply to 812058

saby:
    Smoothie:

Challenge accepted Big Smile

•  02-26-2021, 7:02 812066 in reply to 812064

culpanr:
    saby:
    Smoothie:
    To whom can we report the bug?

Challenge accepted Big Smile

Thank you Richard on behalf of other users as well as me! I appreciate your help.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy