Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Movie footage from Canon R6

Last post 02-16-2021, 16:21 by Tony P. 18 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-07-2021, 18:04 811621

Movie footage from Canon R6

Good evening

I now own a Canon R6 and am hoping to be able to record video footage up to 4K / 50fps in Canon log and process it in Pinnacle Studio 23 Ultimate.  My pc specs are listed below and I am wondering if the pc is just too old and slow because thus far, while I can process non Canon log footage without difficulty all I get when I add the Canon log footage is a big green screen and some interesting colours flashing across the top 10%.  The video codec for the non Canon log footage is AVC1 and the codec for the Canon log footage is HVC1.  All footage plays happily in VLC media player.  Any advice will be welcome thanks.

Paul

•  02-07-2021, 19:04 811623 in reply to 811621

Re: Movie footage from Canon R6

I edited 4K 60fps video on an i7-6700k for several years.  I now use an i9-9900k.  While faster, they both worked fine.  I find it better to set the timeline to 1080p and make my project, then export your project in 4k.  Make sure you have at least 48gigs of virtual memory for exporting.
  •  02-07-2021, 19:42 811624 in reply to 811621

paulcroft:
    ...all I get when I add the Canon log footage is a big green screen and some interesting colours flashing across the top 10%.  The video codec for the non Canon log footage is AVC1 and the codec for the Canon log footage is HVC1.
    Green preivew can be caused by video decode issues - both the Intel and Nvidia GPUs do contain hardware HEVC encoders and decoders, so ought to be able to work with it...

• Which GPU are you using (Intel or Nvidia) - and are the graphic drivers up to date?
    • What hardware acceleration setting are you using in Studio (is it matching the GPU in use)?
    • And is the Microsoft "HEVC Video Extensions" (or "HEVC Video Extensions from the device manufacturer") app properly installed? A clue to whether it is properly installeed would be whether the "Films and TV" app can play the HEVC-coded files. I believe that VLC has its own set of codecs so doesn't need to call upon whatever is built in to Windows 10.

Regards,
    Richard

•  02-08-2021, 7:54 811627 in reply to 811621

Attachment: video codec.jpg

@ acsscott, thanks, nice to know my pc can handle this.

@ culpanr:

* My GPU is nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti and the drivers are current.

* Hardware Acceleration is set to CUDA and is picked up automatically

* When I double clicked on the video I got a message that I needed these extensions to play this kind of file so I paid my 79p, downloaded them and I now get an error message which says, "Can't play because the item's file format isn't supported. Check the store to see if this item is available there."  So I'm guessing there's still a codec issue but I'm not able to see what's wrong from the codec info available.  Can you spot anything in tha attached data?

Thanks

Paul

•  02-08-2021, 9:55 811634 in reply to 811627

Can you possibly upload a short raw video clip to the cloud?
  •  02-08-2021, 10:21 811637 in reply to 811634

Hi Tony

I've just made two short videos and uploaded them to M$ One Drive, both FHD 25 fps, one in non Canon log format and the other in Canon log.  Here's a link:    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvPIn5Fb1aRIgcJNDIXfRAMJP7VKAQ?e=ZfHxTG

Paul

•  02-08-2021, 11:02 811642 in reply to 811637

I've had a look at the two files - I believe the issue is that the "non-playable" file has its video encoded in HEVC 10 bit YUV 4:2:2 - the HEVC hardware decoder in my 8th generation Intel on-chip graphics (and I guress older Nvidia cards too) only supports 8 bit YUV 4:2:0 (+ maybe YUV 4:4:4).

So you possibly face a choice of upgrading your GPU or converting the file to some other format. But a pain if you really do need the extra fidelity of 10-bit Sad

Regards,
    Richard

•  02-08-2021, 11:13 811643 in reply to 811637

Thanks for the link.

Of course the non-log video went into PS just fine. The log video just gave the gray circle image. 

So I would say, in the "here and now" with PS, don't shoot log. Yeah... I know...bummer. But the Canon R5/6 cameras are recent. Maybe in time....

But I am not sure if HEVC 4:2:2 Chroma subsampling with 10bits will be supported in Pinnacle. It's a "high end" file for sure. 

Even DR16 free (not sure on free 17) support it.

•  02-08-2021, 11:57 811651 in reply to 811643

Hi Tony and Culpanar

Thanks for the advice from you both, I guess this is something for me to play with another time.  It's not crucial to me by any means but I rather like the idea of editing raw footage recorded with a log profile because this allows one to make max usage of the dynamic range.  I don't need the extra fidelity afforded by 10 bit but it seems a shame to convert down to 8 bit just to play it.  Something for me to ponder over the next few days 

Paul

•  02-08-2021, 12:01 811653 in reply to 811651

You can read how others have the same problem with those files on DP Review

There are others using I believe Panasonic 10bit files.

•  02-08-2021, 12:30 811654 in reply to 811653

Thanks for the link Tony, progress always comes at a cost.  Looks like the way to go, for the moment at least, is to transcode to 4:2:2

•  02-08-2021, 12:38 811655 in reply to 811654

It's tough being in the bleeding edge. There are "heavy hitters" in DP Review and they all struggle with the files with really powerful computers.

It was like when HEVC first came out, or 4K. Everyone had to transcode the files. Now? Drag and drop on the timeline. 

•  02-15-2021, 11:13 811848 in reply to 811655

Attachment: Resolve Canon R6.jpg

Sorry for getting back late. Lots happening that took me away from testing this clip in Resolve 17 Studio.

It imports just fine. And for me, adding SeMW Auto Levels goes a great, easy grade to it. 

So, unless you are going to pay a lot to edit those log files, I suggest using a different recording format.

You might try turning down Contrast, Brightness, etc when shooting and then grading the footage. 

I don't know the specific settings, but I do know with Panasonic, there is Cinelike D which isn't a log file like VLog, but it does give more dynamic range than recording usually when you grade.

•  02-15-2021, 19:20 811864 in reply to 811848

Hi Tony

>> You might try turning down Contrast, Brightness, etc when shooting and then grading the footage.  <<

That's what I've always done up to now but I wanted the opportunity to try Canon's C-log footage because those who are in the know are impressed.  However, for my purposes I can manage without, it's what I've always done before and my use of video is very limited.  The purchase of the R6 was principally because, as of now, it's as good as they come for photography.

Paul

•  02-16-2021, 9:12 811866 in reply to 811864

Yes, it would be nice if PS did support VLog (no matter who's), but it might be asking more of a consumer editor than can be delivered for the price of $100.

While I will use color correcting/grading, for the most part, I try to get everything "in camera" like how I want with little post color work. But there are times when I have to match camera colors using different cameras. Like most people who do editing, I have several editors on my computer. Each used for different purposes. Resolve Studio (not the free version) is the only one that imported and allowed me to "correct" with no problem. 

Is it worth spending the money for Resolve Studio? Only you can answer that.

•  02-16-2021, 10:12 811868 in reply to 811866

I tried resolve.  Just didn't flow right for me.  Was frustrated with ps24 hangs and crashes in the new features and title editor, but resolve crashed just as much.  So, I stuck with ps.
  •  02-16-2021, 11:33 811870 in reply to 811868

Resolve is still in beta, so expect crashes. And I agree, it's the same, but different in editing.

But, use the right tool for the right job. 

•  02-16-2021, 11:43 811871 in reply to 811870

Before the color correction added in PS23 & 24, I could see using resolve to correct some clips.  But, I would still export the clips from resolve and edit my movie in PS.  Resolve just takes too many steps to create a timeline.  Maybe it's just my memory going, but I lose my creative thought process building a timeline in resolve.  It's just not second nature.
  •  02-16-2021, 16:21 811877 in reply to 811871

People that tout going to Resolve are just usually parroting what they heard. To "me" PS is is easier to edit for 80% of what I do. It's a fact. It's easier. There are advanced features in other software that I use, in addition to the advanced plugins, is the reason why I use them.

There is a steep learning curve for Resolve. Very steep.....  And then the computer hardware required to run it.....

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy