Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

P24 Import mp4/avc1 into proj bin fails showing red circle/slash

Last post 02-04-2021, 19:44 by gary@webguild.com. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-01-2021, 14:41 811381

P24 Import mp4/avc1 into proj bin fails showing red circle/slash

Attachment: MediaInfo.png

This is a new install of Pinnacle 24 Plus on my desktop PC.

I drag an mp4 video (from Wyze cam or my Samsung Galaxy 8+) and it really messes up the running Pinnacle. The preview does not display and after a few minutes, the icon turns red as shown. Also, other working clips no longer play in the preview.

[click to view image]

My old Pinnacle 17 did display the video ok (well, mostly, a few segments turned green for a few seconds). The info (see red box above) in the P17 showed the Codec as H.264 and much higher bitrate for the same clip.

I opened a support ticket and they had me uninstall both Pinnacles, use a program to clear out the registry of all Pinnacle entries, create a new Windows admin user account and re-install P24 but this did not help.

Installing P24 onto my MS Surface did not have the issue with the clip so there is something wrong with my desktop and not the hardware.

My desktop is an AMD A8-3870 APU 3.0GHz 16GB with NVIDIA GeForce GT 710, Windows 10 Pro 20H2

Anyone have any ideas? I know converting the videos to MPEG-4 or other works but I's like to be able to use clips directly from my phone/WyzeCam.

Thanks,

Gary Davis 

•  02-01-2021, 14:53 811382 in reply to 811381

Re: P24 Import mp4/avc1 into proj bin fails showing red circle/slash

So PS17 does not play back the video correctly. Maybe it's because it's only 15fps?

Most video editors work at a constant frame rate of 24, 25, 30, 50, or 60fps. 

Now, if you can upload a small sample to the cloud, I'll try it on my computer and see what happens. 

•  02-01-2021, 15:07 811383 in reply to 811382

Here's the video clip - 8 seconds or so.

http://www.webguild.com/videos/DucksinPen.mp4 

PS17 does play the video but PS24, after a long wait after dragging it to the project bin, will play only the audio.

Note I don't have a problem on my MS Surface install, just my desktop so you may not have an issue. My desktop is pretty old and has a lot of junk on it so I assume there is some incompatibility even with a fresh user account and install.

Thanks for looking, Tony. 

•  02-01-2021, 16:55 811385 in reply to 811383

The file played back just fine on my computer (specs below) with no problem.

Monitoring my hardware usage with Task Manager open showed no stress or strain on either the CPU or GPU.

I added some color changes (stresses the hardware) and after the clip rendered on the timeline, it too played back smoothly. 

I don't know which graphics are you using, the Nvidia or AMD, but for sure, your Nvidia card is way under powered. The AMD APU isn't that great either. This computer might be fine for some web surfing and light productivity, but working with today's editors, it's just not a match.

You have nothing to lose. Get a SSD (250GB), install Win10 and the latest motherboard/APU and Nvidia drivers.  It won't be a powerhouse, but you might be able to do some light video editing.

•  02-02-2021, 5:37 811406 in reply to 811385

Tony P:
    I don't know which graphics are you using, the Nvidia or AMD, but for sure, your Nvidia card is way under powered.

The Nvidia GT710 does contain H.264 hardware acceleration, so ought to work OK with H.264/AVC videos (the "lack of power" would only affect things such as video effects and transitions that require GPU acceleration (they might not preview smoothly without the help of background rendering)).

But, assuming that the desktop PC is currently using the Nvidia graphics, could the issue be that Studio 24 has auto-detected the AMD graphics (and in its control panel - "Export and Preview" page has set the hardware acceleration type as "AMD") - but the AMD graphics are actually disabled? If that is the case, try setting the hardware acceleration to "Cuda"

Regards,
    Richard

•  02-02-2021, 6:25 811411 in reply to 811406

Possibly Richard. The APU does have AMD graphics.

During playback on my computer, neither the GPU or CPU are being stressed at all. Usually single digit percentage of usage. 

Since he has created a new Windows user account and reinstalled the software and is suffering from the same issues, I am at a loss.

•  02-02-2021, 10:37 811423 in reply to 811411

Tony P:
    Possibly Richard. The APU does have AMD graphics.

During playback on my computer, neither the GPU or CPU are being stressed at all. Usually single digit percentage of usage. 

Since he has created a new Windows user account and reinstalled the software and is suffering from the same issues, I am at a loss.

Reinstallation - or running with a new user account - if the graphics auto-detection had picked (disabled?) AMD on-chip graphics instead of the Nvidia card, it would have simply made the same incorrect choice again. So it would be instructive to know if the "wrong" hardware acceleration was selected...

•  02-02-2021, 14:10 811434 in reply to 811423

The problem occurs when I drag the clip to the project bin. The clip thumbnail displays as a gray camcorder. If I click to play it, the preview shows "Speed 1x" and does nothing. I wait about 4.5 minutes and the thumbnail changes to the red circle/slash. During that time, task manager shows RenderService.exe running at about 25% cpu.

Quitting PS24 leaves it running in task manager where I can kill it and then am able to restart the program. Using an mpeg version of the clip, dragging it to the bin displays the thumbnail correctly and plays immediately.

I checked the hardware acceleration and it is already Cuda (the Auto-Detect button chooses Cuda too). The other options are Intel, AMD and None. I tried AMD and None but they had no effect.

I am aware my old desktop PC may be underpowered compared to current specs but I mainly use it for programming (Visual Studio) for which it is sufficient. I got the cheap video card mainly to support dual monitors.

Thanks for your insights! 

•  02-02-2021, 15:24 811440 in reply to 811434

I'm afraid I'm now out of ideas too...

I tried the short clip in PS24 Ultimate on my old Shuttle dfesktop PC (Core 2 Quad Q9650 + Nvidia GT640) and it imported and previewed without difficulty. So I'll have to speculate that the issue has got something to do with the hardware or software that's on the old PC (maybe Studio doesn't play nicely with that AMD APU)?

•  02-02-2021, 16:32 811442 in reply to 811440

I am assuming that the motherboard and GPU have up to date drivers. Pinnacle's website says the CPU (no mention of the integrated GPU) should work, along with his GPU.

DirectX issues maybe?

•  02-04-2021, 19:44 811523 in reply to 811442

I decided to try a fresh new install of Windows 10 (20H2) as a dual boot vhdx on my AMD desktop PC to help rule out incompatible legacy software.

After install of PS24, the same problem exists.

So the issue is likely a hardware incompatibility.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy