Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Studio 24 and *.ts files

Last post 17 hours, 5 minutes ago by gedall40. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-03-2021, 7:32 811469

Studio 24 and *.ts files

I have finally moved up from Studio 15 to 24 Ultimate, mainly to take advantage of editing multiple video files of my friends and me playing music during these lockdown periods.  For this it appears to be very good.

I am a bit disappointed to find that the latest version of Studio does not allow me to import *.ts files.  I accepted that maybe Studio 15 was too old to do this, but I somehow expected the very latest version to have this feature added to a growing comprehensive list of video formats which you can import.  Files in *.ts format are produced by my Humax HD TV Recorder.  

The work-around I developed for Studio 15 is to capture the files to my laptop, use Nero Recode to turn them into something that Studio can import, and then proceed to edit them.  It is time consuming, but it does seem to work.  For recode settings, I import the *.ts file and recode it into an MPEG 2 file of medium quality, with the same aspect ratio, same HD resolution, same audio resolution - the result is a file about twice the size of the original, but which Studio can work with, and which looks as good as the original on my TV when authored onto a Blu-ray disc.

But I was just wondering why I can play .ts files in various applications from Nero including editing video and audio, and in Cyberlink Power DVD13 (both of which are on my laptop) but not in Studio - it is surely not that difficult to import them, is it?

•  02-03-2021, 7:47 811470 in reply to 811469

Re:Studio 24 and *.ts files

.ts is a file extension of the MPEG Transport Stream standard. This format is more dedicated to files transmission (more error and synchronisation protections) than files storage and therefore files editing. I'm not surprised that Corel skipped it.

However, you might simply try to rename them to .mpg and import them in Studio.

•  02-03-2021, 8:56 811472 in reply to 811470

Re: Re:Studio 24 and *.ts files

Thank you for the suggestion, which I have just tried but it does not work.  You have reminded me that ages ago I did try this renaming of the file extension for use in Studio 15, including some of the other file extensions related to .ts but with no luck.

At least I have a good work-around. 

•  02-03-2021, 9:18 811474 in reply to 811472

Considering your workaround, you should know that it is not necessary to reencode the video and audio streams to change the container file format.

Applications like Avidemux or Handbrake can directstream copy the streams and remux them in a new container (.mpg or .mp4).

•  02-03-2021, 19:30 811487 in reply to 811470

saby:
    However, you might simply try to rename them to .mpg and import them in Studio.

If the file is a "transport stream" file of a similar format to those recorded by some file-based (e.g. AVCHD) camcorders - renaming the file from .TS to .MTS might make it usable in Studio

•  02-04-2021, 12:09 811510 in reply to 811487

Thank you for your suggestions.  I just tried Handbrake and ran a test - although it appears to be working on the job OK, it is predicting an elapsed time of 2h 20 mins for a 1h 30 min programme, so no quicker than Nero Recode I am afraid.

I also tried renaming the file to .mts (and .m2ts which my camcorder uses and which works well with Studio 15) and I still get an exclamation mark in Studio. 

Please don't spend any more time on this, at least I have a work around which I am familiar with, thank you. Using this method, I have visually compared the resulting burned Blu-ray disc played on my TV with the original playback from the Humax recorder, and cannot see any difference in quality.  I can in fact import .ts straight into Nero Video for editing and producing Blu-ray discs, but I don't like the way it does either of these compared with Studio!  I have also tried minimal editing in Nero and then gone on to make an mp4 file which I then import into Studio.  It is no quicker than Recode, and sometimes I have found the sound has gone out of sync with the video.

•  02-04-2021, 18:21 811522 in reply to 811510

My experince with files recorded by my satelite tuner is that the TS files can be very quickly recoded in MediaCoder using Direct Stream copy to mp4 files that work in PS. However, ISTR that the Humax might put DRM on them?
  •  02-06-2021, 12:50 811581 in reply to 811522

I have not heard of Mediacoder before, so thank you for that I will have a look and give it a try.

Yes the Humax does follow the DRM for HD encoded programmes.  But I use some freeware that effectively decrypts the programme and allows me to FTP the new ts file to my laptop. 

•  02-06-2021, 15:01 811582 in reply to 811581

gedall40:

Yes the Humax does follow the DRM for HD encoded programmes.  But I use some freeware that effectively decrypts the programme and allows me to FTP the new ts file to my laptop. 

But presumably as *.TS files?

What's the freeware called?

•  02-06-2021, 15:04 811583 in reply to 811582

•  02-10-2021, 13:40 811720 in reply to 811582

jjn:
    gedall40:

But presumably as *.TS files?

What's the freeware called?

Yes, the files come as .ts which is why I have to turn them into something that PS recognises.  I have had this problem throughout my use of PS15 which is why I was sort of hoping that v24 might fix this.

The freeware is called foxy.exe but I should tell you that it only works on the Humax HDR Fox-T2 Freeview recorder. 

•  02-10-2021, 13:46 811722 in reply to 811583

Thank you for the link.  I have downloaded the pdf file and also the software, but I haven't had much luck so far.

I used the Copy Video function to convert one of my ts files to MPEG 2 and it did it in under 2 minutes.  However, it will not import into Studio 24, and nor incidentally with PowerDVD, which does play the original ts file.  I tried again turning off the Copy Video, and this time it was taking as long as Nero Recode takes, so I did not bother to run it further once I realised this.

So then I tried Copy Video to convert to mp4.  This took just over 2 minutes but again Studio 24 would not import it.

I will have to have a more detailed look at Mediacoder to see if another setting change will make it work the quick way. 

•  02-10-2021, 13:54 811723 in reply to 811722

I suggested to try Avidemux and its Directstream copy mode.
  •  02-10-2021, 13:57 811724 in reply to 811723

Tutorial : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt9pX-SmXyc
  •  02-11-2021, 3:02 811730 in reply to 811722

Interesting gedall40,

If you were able to provide a small clip via Onedrive or other platform, I wouldn't mind playing around with it. 

•  02-11-2021, 6:08 811739 in reply to 811722

gedall40:

Thank you for the link.  I have downloaded the pdf file and also the software, but I haven't had much luck so far.

I used the Copy Video function to convert one of my ts files to MPEG 2 and it did it in under 2 minutes.  However, it will not import into Studio 24, and nor incidentally with PowerDVD, which does play the original ts file.  I tried again turning off the Copy Video, and this time it was taking as long as Nero Recode takes, so I did not bother to run it further once I realised this.

So then I tried Copy Video to convert to mp4.  This took just over 2 minutes but again Studio 24 would not import it.

I will have to have a more detailed look at Mediacoder to see if another setting change will make it work the quick way. 

Sorry that didn't work - as you can see thear are a lot of options in MediaCoder, but if the copied video stream won't play, it may not work at all. I use if for h.254, not mpeg2.

Thansk for the information about foxy. I can't get the files off my humax as its drive is built in, for HD I have a satelite tuner that doen't encrypt the TS files.

•  02-11-2021, 6:10 811740 in reply to 811723

saby:
    I suggested to try Avidemux and its Directstream copy mode.

Sorry I forgot about the other one you mentioned - Avidemux.  I did try Handbrake, but I am now wondering if I set it to DirectStream or the equivalent Copy Video mode, so I will have another try, and if still no good I will try Avidemux. 

•  02-11-2021, 6:31 811742 in reply to 811739

jjn:
    Sorry that didn't work - as you can see thear are a lot of options in MediaCoder, but if the copied video stream won't play, it may not work at all. I use if for h.254, not mpeg2.

Thansk for the information about foxy. I can't get the files off my humax as its drive is built in, for HD I have a satelite tuner that doen't encrypt the TS files.

If you have a Humax Fox -T2 HD Freeview recorder, then you should be able to copy files off the main drive. This link gives the full procedure  FTP Hi-Def Content Using FOXY - hummy.tv Wiki

I have a USB back up hard drive plugged into the rear socket, and a Wi-Fi dongle plugged into the front USB socket.  I use Windows Explorer for FTP purposes.  The procedure is a bit time consuming because of having to keep moving the files backwards and forwards, but if the programme is worth saving to another format, eg Blu-ray, then I think it is worth the effort!  Good Luck! 

•  02-20-2021, 12:31 811929 in reply to 811742

I have now carried out trials of the various suggestions above for a faster conversion of ts files than Nero can achieve.  I have used the same ts file throughout, which lasts 1h 30m.

Handbrake
    - I cannot find a setting for Directstream or Video Copy, and looking for help on this topic suggests that it is not available, at least not for the video component.

Mediacoder with Copy Video and Copy Audio both ticked, and trying various containers which PS24 says it supports as input formats.

- mp4, mpeg2, m4v, files created in under 2s but PS24 said it could not import any of them
    - avi, and mov, files created in under 50s, PS24 imported them, video OK but they contained no audio
    - avi and mov files with audio recoded, and mkv file, Mediacoder gave an error and did not complete
    - m2ts file, created in under 1s but as the file designation came out as .264 PS24 could not see it to import it

Avidemux with Video and Audio both set to Copy
    - mkv file imported OK into PS24 and audio OK but the video looked weird with the horizontal stretched about twice its correct size
    - mp4 The first time I tried this the file was created OK in 35s and PS24 imported it OK, but the audio was not in sync with the video.  However, repeating the test a day later gave a file in which it was in sync and PS24 was happy with it.  Not sure if I did anything differently though!

I finally transcoded the same file from ts to MPEG 2 using Nero Recode, which took just over an hour to complete, it imported OK into PS24 and the video and audio were in sync.

I then used the Display Information feature in PS24 to compare the two files and found the following differences:

Video
    Parameter Mediacoder Nero Recode
    Size 3GB 15GB
    Codec AVC1 IPB MPEG-2 MP@ML 4:2:0
    Bitrate 4.5Mbit/s 21MB/s
    VBitrate 4,000,000 22,000,000
    Interlacing Top Field 1st Bottom Field 1st

Audio
    Codec AAC MP2
    Bitrate 311kBit/s 320kBit/s
    Channels 6 Stereo
    Sample Type Surround 6.0 Stereo

I guess the Video file size difference represents the fact that mp4 is more compressed than MPEG2.  I am not sure if the higher bitrate for MPEG2 will make any visible difference to the final Blu-ray recording.

The original audio in the ts file is in Dolby 5.1 channel surround sound, as the recording was of a Promenade Concert which is quite often broadcast in surround sound, and for which I use the optical output from my Humax Freeview recorder into my surround sound system. Even though Avidemux has carried this through and handed it over to PS24, I am at the moment not sure if it ends up still 5.1 channel in the output sound track, and when burned to BR disc.  If PS24 compresses it to stereo, then I am no worse off if I use the Nero file to edit and burn from.

Thank you for your help, it has been an intriguing couple of days of experimentation for me! 

•  02-20-2021, 12:40 811930 in reply to 811929

Have you tried Mediacoder without using Copy Audio? any audio recoding it will do will be trivial, timewise. Also, your can remap the channels.
  •  02-20-2021, 13:03 811932 in reply to 811930

Yes, I tried the two formats that were imported but had no audio, as in the table in my last post.  The problem with that was that Mediacoder failed to complete the file creation.
  •  02-20-2021, 17:16 811935 in reply to 811932

Not sure we aren't at cross purposes here. Try NOT using Copy Audio, let that bit re-render....
  •  02-21-2021, 5:50 811942 in reply to 811935

Sorry I am not being clear and thank you for your help with this problem.

Of the seven different formats tested in both Copy Video and Copy Audio, mkv produced the result that Mediacoder failed to complete the job and flagged up "there are one or more errors in the transcoding process" so the test ended here

Format m2ts produced a .264 file which is not on the list of files which PS24 can import.  I didn't think to try renaming the file type to m2ts, which is what I use when importing from my Sony HD camcorder.

Of the remaining five, PS24 said it could not import mp4, mpeg2 and m4v.

File formats avi and mov imported into PS24 OK but while the video seemed OK there was no sound.  So I repeated these two formats with Copy Audio changed to enable it to Recode just the Audio. There were several choices for the audio format, but I let it use the default of MP2 first, and then tried PCM.  On both avi and mov, Mediacoder failed to complete the job and flagged up "there are one or more errors", so I had nothing to try the PS24 import with.

I am beginning to think that there is something unique about the ts files produced by the Humax.  Maybe it is after all something to do with the DRM encoding, but as explained before, the Foxy.exe software plus FTP transferring is supposed to get round this.  However maybe it is done in such a way that certain A/V recoders cannot cope, but Nero and Avidemux can.  At least I have two to choose from which both seem to work, although further testing is needed to see if they both yield the same video and audio quality. 

•  02-21-2021, 6:24 811944 in reply to 811942

There are so many options in Mediacoder it difficult to compare results. I've never had any luck using Copy Video and Copy Audio together for the same re-encoding. But as you can see, there are so many options. It's often the Sound settings I use, to change the AV sync and which of the channels from a TS file are used - I sometimes get recordings that have Audio Description on Channels 1 and 2 instead of 3 and 4.

There probably is a setting in there somewhere that will work, but the time taken to find it might be  prohibitive!

•  02-25-2021, 12:29 812048 in reply to 811944

Just an update to this problem. In using Nero Recode, I have usually selected to recode from .ts to MPEG2, and this takes a long time and in the process loses any 5.1 channel audio. After playing with Nero Recode, I have found that if I choose to go from .ts to MP4 then the audio settings are such that I can select to carry the 5.1 channel through. Also, even with high quality video settings it was only taking 30 minutes to recode the same .ts file that was previously taking an hour and a half. PS24 imports the file perfectly, the quality is good and the sound is in sync. The result is something more than acceptable so I will continue to use this method, but thanks for all the suggestions.

Regarding the surround sound, it imports into PS24 OK, is kept in the audio track and goes through to Export to Blu-ray. Here I have the choice of Dolby 2 Channel, or PCM Surround Sound. The latter comes out as 6 channels according to when I play the disc in PowerDVD on my laptop (which of course is only two tiny speakers). However, the surround information gets completely lost in the path from Blu-ray player to TV (using HDMI) and from TV to Hi-Fi system (using optical) even though they are all changed from Bitstream to PCM. I know this path works very well using Dolby 5.1 in Bitstream mode throughout. It also works well for a disc made in PS24 in which I select the Dolby 2 channel mode for the sound exported to the disc.

So I have a question which I hope someone can answer - is it possible to purchase a PS24 plug in that allows me to output the sound onto the Blu-ray disc in Dolby 5.1 channel surround sound rather than PCM? If not, then I think I may need to replace my ageing Hi-Fi with something more up to date, which can handle all the HDMI connections and PCM properly, rather that have to find an optical path for the solution as at present.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy