Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Cropping at the end of animated Zoom in

Last post 02-01-2021, 13:00 by Smoothie. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-29-2021, 15:17 811320

Cropping at the end of animated Zoom in

I have set up an animated Pan & Zoom to zoom in on a section of a still but wish to crop the zoomed-in picture top and bottom (only) by the end of the zoom in. How can I achieve this?  The red zoom-in rectangle’s top and bottom handles seem to alter the whole rectangle size, as do the corner and side handles.  I have tried modifier keys (ctrl, shift, alt) with no joy - unless there is a combination that I haven’t tried for cropping.
  •  01-29-2021, 16:59 811326 in reply to 811320

Re: Cropping at the end of animated Zoom in

The pan-and-zoom will keep the proportions/aspect ratio of the frame, so you can't "crop" the top and bottom by zooming in more in the vertical than the horizontal...

But what is the desired outcome of the crop?

• Add black bars top and bottom (or reveal a background on a lower track)?
    • Distort the proportions of the zoomed image so it's stretched vertically but still fills the frame (for example to get rid of something unwanted near the top/bottom)?

Assuming you're using PS23 or PS24, you can do either using the Properties controls; keyframe a crop top/bottom so it gradually applies throughout the zoom or "eases in" near to its end, or keyframe a change of the vertical size (unlink the horizontal/vertical size controls by clicking on the padlock icon beside the controls; at the beginnning of the zoom have vertical size=100 and at the end have the vertical size increased to whatever you need to push the unwanted stuff off the screen)

HTH
    Richard

•  01-29-2021, 18:42 811328 in reply to 811326

culpanr:

The pan-and-zoom will keep the proportions/aspect ratio of the frame, so you can't "crop" the top and bottom by zooming in more in the vertical than the horizontal...

But what is the desired outcome of the crop?

• Add black bars top and bottom (or reveal a background on a lower track)?
    • Distort the proportions of the zoomed image so it's stretched vertically but still fills the frame (for example to get rid of something unwanted near the top/bottom)?

Assuming you're using PS23 or PS24, you can do either using the Properties controls; keyframe a crop top/bottom so it gradually applies throughout the zoom or "eases in" near to its end, or keyframe a change of the vertical size (unlink the horizontal/vertical size controls by clicking on the padlock icon beside the controls; at the beginnning of the zoom have vertical size=100 and at the end have the vertical size increased to whatever you need to push the unwanted stuff off the screen)

HTH
    Richard

Thanks for your help, Richard. Using PS24U. Re your bullet points: I am not trying to do either but wish to assume a “letterbox” A/R at the end of the zoom in so that it reveals some horizontal detail (text) high up on a building’s stonework.  However, if Pan & Zoom won’t allow cropping at the end of the zoom (a Future Feature Request, perhaps?), then I’ll certainly try your combination idea of using P&Z in tandem with keyframe Cropping. Thanks again.

Footnote: Have now tried this method and, although rather tricky to set up (getting the balance right), it has achieved the effect I wanted. Thanks. JH. 

•  02-01-2021, 9:24 811373 in reply to 811328

Glad you got it sorted Smile

There are probably tons of ways to achieve that effect of emphasising that text detail; I would probably gone for some sort of masking that darkened the areas around the interesting text (but kept them visible) so the text was effectively "highlighted" in the picture.

Regards ,
    Richard

•  02-01-2021, 13:00 811377 in reply to 811373

culpanr:

Glad you got it sorted Smile

There are probably tons of ways to achieve that effect of emphasising that text detail; I would probably gone for some sort of masking that darkened the areas around the interesting text (but kept them visible) so the text was effectively "highlighted" in the picture.

Regards ,
    Richard

Another good idea, Richard! 

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy