Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Insert editing - How to get clips on other tracks downstream to stay in sync?

Last post 02-01-2021, 5:59 by jjn. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-29-2021, 15:28 811321

Insert editing - How to get clips on other tracks downstream to stay in sync?

Cutting down an interview using Insert editing to delete portions of video+audio combined track works fine of course. But at some points further downstream I have had to add audio clips to another track.  How can I keep these extra clips on a lower track in sync with the main track above when I use Insert to remove further portions from the earlier part of the main track?
  •  01-29-2021, 16:05 811322 in reply to 811321

Re: Insert editing - How to get clips on other tracks downstream to stay in sync?

Put the timeline in overwrite(down arrow) mode.  Shift-ctrl-right click on the clip to the right of where you want to edit.  This will select all clips on all tracks to the right of the edit point.  Click and drag the clips to the right away from where you want to edit.   Make your changes, then shift-ctrl-right click on the clips to the right of the edit.  Then click and drag them back against to left clips.  Nothing changes down stream.   All clips stay in sync.   There is a bug in ps23 & ps24 that sometimes even when the timeline is in overwrite mode, if you drag a new clip onto the timeline it inserts and pushes clips to the right on the same track to the right.  So keep an eye on your sync if you do that. 
  •  01-29-2021, 19:11 811330 in reply to 811322

Re: Insert editing - How to get clips on other tracks downstream to stay in sync?

acsscott:
    Put the timeline in overwrite(down arrow) mode.  Shift-ctrl-right click on the clip to the right of where you want to edit.  This will select all clips on all tracks to the right of the edit point.  Click and drag the clips to the right away from where you want to edit.   Make your changes, then shift-ctrl-right click on the clips to the right of the edit.  Then click and drag them back against to left clips.  Nothing changes down stream.   All clips stay in sync.   There is a bug in ps23 & ps24 that sometimes even when the timeline is in overwrite mode, if you drag a new clip onto the timeline it inserts and pushes clips to the right on the same track to the right.  So keep an eye on your sync if you do that. 

Thank you for your help - and pointing out the bug. I have heard it is still present in my PS24U version.  Of course I know about selecting all clips on all tracks to the right using ctrl+shift+click (?right click?) and this is fine in Overwrite mode (I use it a lot),  but the whole point is that I have a 45 minute Zoom interview from which I am cutting out gaps, unwanted sentences etc in Insert mode but (probably foolishly) I went to the end first and completed it using clips on other tracks which have to remain in sync with the main track (some were detached audio while others were SFX). Editing the interview multiple times is quick and easy using Insert but would be very long-winded to use Overwrite then every time having to select all downstream tracks then close the gap up.  Why is there no option to allow Insert automatically pull ALL tracks up in sync when a portion is removed from the main (interview) track? 

•  01-30-2021, 7:03 811336 in reply to 811330

Have you tried Smart edit mode?

•  01-31-2021, 2:50 811346 in reply to 811336

Tony P:

Indeed, that should work if I've understood. People are wary of Smart mode because it used to be flawed, but it's been fixed for some time now.
  •  01-31-2021, 12:01 811353 in reply to 811346

jjn:
    Tony P:

Indeed, that should work if I've understood. People are wary of Smart mode because it used to be flawed, but it's been fixed for some time now.

Thank you Tony and Jeff - I resisted replying until I had tried it ... and, you are right, I have been editing for the past couple of hours using Smart Mode with great success!  Unless there are any hidden flaws that I won’t notice until I review the 45 min programme, Smart mode seems to work like Insert edit but, when you edit out a sentence of dialogue (or whatever) ALL the clips on ALL the tracks downstream pull up, whereas in Insert only the track from which you remove some frames pulls up from the right to close the gap, leaving the others behind.

I confess I am always put off by the word “Smart” as so often the “smartness” causes unwanted repercussions!  In my previous Editor (LE) I only ever used Overwrite and (occasionally) Insert so hadn’t considered Smart Mode.  Thank you for the suggestion - what else does it do that might be useful?  (OK Jeff I’ll get your big book out to see what you say about it!).

•  02-01-2021, 3:49 811364 in reply to 811353

Careful lifing if down from the shelf John :-). Page 240 (PS24R)

•  02-01-2021, 4:13 811365 in reply to 811364

jjn:

Careful lifing if down from the shelf John :-). Page 240 (PS24R)

Jeff - Thanks for the tip (except that it’s not on a shelf but right alongside me as I edit in case I wish to refer to it!). Have left a report on Amazon with a couple of (hopefully) constructive comments for your next book update(?) [Last entry under my nom de plume “Chris Charles”]. John.

•  02-01-2021, 5:59 811366 in reply to 811365

Thanks "Chris" - nice review :-). I'll reply by personel message as I don't like promoting the book too much on this forum.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy