Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

MP4 file from drone still go through slows rendering before editing

Last post 01-04-2021, 5:29 by Tony P. 14 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-20-2020, 19:40 809624

MP4 file from drone still go through slows rendering before editing

Hi all,

I have been using Pinnacle Studio for many years.

If I import (quick import since files are on same PC) files from my Mavic Mini drone, those MP4 files still have a brown/green line and seem to take a while to be rendered correctly in order to be edited in PS23.

These MP4 files play fine in Windows video player, it's just that they don't import quickly into Pinnacle Studio. I believe the files are alMP4 format with same Codec, etc

•  12-21-2020, 3:12 809631 in reply to 809624

Re:MP4 file from drone still go through slows rendering before editing

What if you turn off background rendering ? Is editing smooth ?
  •  12-21-2020, 5:52 809639 in reply to 809624

Re: MP4 file from drone still go through slows rendering before editing

Your computer hardware specs don't really say much in terms of what hardware is inside of it.

See my computer hardware listed below. 

You also did not say what resolution the files are and how large are they. What do you have Setup>Control Panel>Export and Preview, Quality, Optimization, Render While Play, and Hardware Acceleration set to?

When you say "Import", do you mean to the Library or dragging the clips to the timeline.

I had no problems importing a Mavic Mini 2.7K file into the Library or editing and exporting it to the timeline.

Here is a short video of the finished clip exported as 4K: HERE.

Edited, color corrected and exported in PS23U. 

•  12-21-2020, 6:40 809641 in reply to 809639

Tony P:

Your computer hardware specs don't really say much in terms of what hardware is inside of it.

See my computer hardware listed below. 

You also did not say what resolution the files are and how large are they. What do you have Setup>Control Panel>Export and Preview, Quality, Optimization, Render While Play, and Hardware Acceleration set to?

When you say "Import", do you mean to the Library or dragging the clips to the timeline.

I had no problems importing a Mavic Mini 2.7K file into the Library or editing and exporting it to the timeline.

Here is a short video of the finished clip exported as 4K: HERE.

Edited, color corrected and exported in PS23U. 

Very nice TonyCoolYes

•  12-21-2020, 7:20 809644 in reply to 809641

Thanks Martin. My Stateside friend had bought a DJI Mavic Mini and he had PS18 and wanted to know how the latest version handled the footage. He sent me the clip, and that is what I did.

I've been on the drone fence for years now considering what is out there, how much it costs, and how much use will I get out of it. I'm still on the fence, wanting Mavic Air 2, but can only afford the new Mini 2. It's not high on the my list at the moment.

•  12-21-2020, 14:17 809684 in reply to 809644

Tony P:

Thanks Martin. My Stateside friend had bought a DJI Mavic Mini and he had PS18 and wanted to know how the latest version handled the footage. He sent me the clip, and that is what I did.

I've been on the drone fence for years now considering what is out there, how much it costs, and how much use will I get out of it. I'm still on the fence, wanting Mavic Air 2, but can only afford the new Mini 2. It's not high on the my list at the moment.

No i know what you mean one of my nephews has a rather nice drone & gets some amazing video with it when he's at sea, working as a second officer on a private yacht

•  12-21-2020, 17:01 809699 in reply to 809684

I'll wait for spring/summer to consider "if" one is in my plans. Then see if we can travel. There is a lot to shoot locally, but I do want to travel.
  •  12-21-2020, 21:26 809704 in reply to 809639

Hi Tony,

Yes, let me be clearer...

The files import fine. But, when I drag them to the timeline, the top timeline bar turns brown and then advances slowly to green. I assume this is the rendering process. It takes forever!

So, I went into control panel and changed "Playback optimization threshold" down to 70%..I now no longer have to wait so long to trim clips on the timeline, but playback is very jerky. 

•  12-22-2020, 4:53 809716 in reply to 809704

The default setting for Optimization is 100. That means that every time you do anything on the timeline, it will re-render. The speed of the rendering is based on the computer hardware you have. The faster the computer, the faster the timeline and export times will be.

On my computer listed below, I can set the Optimization to "0" so there is no timeline rendering and play back just about anything (including 4K) with no "jerkiness" in the timeline playback, unless I start adding effects and such. The weak point for you is your computer hardware, especially if you are using 2.7K files from the Mini. 

Without knowing the complete specs of your computer (guessing you have an Intel i5 4570 CPU), this is the assumption I have. You are using a computer that has Win7, which is about 5 years old, with today's software which puts greater demands on the hardware and are editing today's video files. 

The only way to get smooth playback is to let the entire timeline render (brown to green to nothing).  A setting of 85 in Optimization should do it and you can try Render While Play set to Automatic or OFF, and Hardware Acceleration set to Intel. Make sure your iGPU (the integrated graphics on your CPU) has the latest graphics drivers installed. You would have to know which specific model CPU you have. According to Intel, as of Nov 2020, there will be no more updates supporting Win7.

That is the nature of the computer video editing beast. If Pinnacle had proxy editing, it would make the timeline playback smoother for less capable computers. But then, that too would still require creating and rendering out proxy files first. 

Here is something you can try. With Pinnacle open, at the top toolbar, go to ?>Load Sample Movie. Does it play back smoothly on the timeline?

•  12-30-2020, 6:55 809943 in reply to 809644

Tony P:

I'm waiting for a mini 2 to turn up...........

•  12-30-2020, 7:08 809946 in reply to 809943

Where I live in Poland, the winter months basically are cloudy all the time. And wet a lot of times. Not drone flying weather, even if it snows, which would make some great aerial shots.

Then there is the travel restrictions to different places here in Poland. Hotels closed, so basically "stuck" where I live.

I would love a larger sensor drone than the Mini, but that would me larger sensor money!! 

Let me know what you think of the Mini 2 footage in 4K.

•  12-30-2020, 8:11 809950 in reply to 809946

Tony P:

Where I live in Poland, the winter months basically are cloudy all the time. And wet a lot of times. Not drone flying weather, even if it snows, which would make some great aerial shots.

Then there is the travel restrictions to different places here in Poland. Hotels closed, so basically "stuck" where I live.

I would love a larger sensor drone than the Mini, but that would me larger sensor money!! 

Let me know what you think of the Mini 2 footage in 4K.

Yeah things are fairly tight here as well with lots of places closed as we are a tier 4 area.

Yeah it was budget that kept me from getting anything larger.

I certainly will let folks know what the 4k is like as one of the first things I'd thought about doing was taking some video using all 3 different settings to see 

1. What all 3 formats look like
    2. How PS24 handles them on both the laptop and the desk top
    3. I'll check PS23 on the desktop as well
  •  12-30-2020, 10:29 809953 in reply to 809950

Looking forward to your post! Yes
  •  01-03-2021, 15:45 810213 in reply to 809704

I've just got a mini 2 and shot some 4K with it earlier today, put it on timeline with optimisation set at 50% and render while play turned on & yes it background rendered but at a reasonable rate nd played fine while it was doing it, this was on the desktop, not tried it on the laptop yet
  •  01-04-2021, 5:29 810237 in reply to 810213

Thanks for reporting. I have edited 4K and 2.7K drone footage on my computer. Not much of a problem. I didn't do anything "stressful" to it, but I do know from editing 4K 50P that taking my time, I was able to do what I wanted.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy