Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

PS23 - performance issues in basic editing

Last post 12-26-2020, 12:41 by acsscott. 39 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (40 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-28-2020, 18:49 808333

PS23 - performance issues in basic editing

Used Pinnacle Studio over various versions starting with 10 and on several PCs / Windows rebuilds,  from Win-XP thru W7, W8 and currently W10,  at randomly I have PS seem to bog down and eat up processor and fail, with basic, small video edits.

At present, when I open a fresh PS new video build, import a handful of small video clips of 1-2 minutes each, start to drop in to the Timeline and crop, to take 4 videos merging down to 2+ minutes, with some basic opening title and ending title...

- the timeline seems to lag and take 30-60 seconds to render and populate
    takes time to update when I select and cut out pieces of the video clips
    - try to simply play and nothing happens,  or I get audio for 20-30 seconds before the video starts and runs fast to catch up to the audio
    - have delays going to features like  Zoom  or Std title edits
    - the timeline section seems to take 20-60 seconds to render and give the little preview images
    -
    occasionally it fails and the PS session just closes, no error, no message

I have cleared the Render box, doing the rename of the two  Pinnacle  folders under my personal  \AppData \Local  area,  restarted the PC,  without any effect.

I have had the issues with various video clips, about 1-3 minutes long, normally 1080p format from my smart phone.  Even tested with the sample video,  "The Sky is the Limit",  and have the same poor performance.

The CPU shows  Pinnacle  using 80-90 of the processer.

All thing work find once it goes away, my fumbles fixes, or a new install, but at some point like this week,   P S seems to stumble, fumble and become mostly annoying and useless,  again and again  (I know many that support hate hearing what it is really like on the user end - coming for years of PC Support role).   And contacts  Pinnalce  via Chat never seems to reach anyone and emails to support or days from random replies that do not seem to take the details in to play.

Is there a setting to auto clear the cache, render files, and other temp files with each exit or start up ?
    Is there some setting that maybe gets effected with regular  Windows 10  updates ?

This has been a re-occuring problem I have encountered with  Pinnacle  for several years and versions,  since maybe v12 to v14. 

My current version of Pinnacle Studio  is  23.2.1.297 )64bit)

Running on a   Windows 10  64bit system that has...
     - currently updates Windows 10 64bit
     - Intel I7 7700k  4gig processor
     - Asustek Z270-K motherboard
     - 16gig of ram
     - 1tb SSD (drive)
     - eVGA  Nvidia GTX 660 video card

What more details can I give ?
    Any suggestions on things to check, settings to check, options to avoid this re-occurring issue?

Frolin

•  11-28-2020, 19:14 808335 in reply to 808333

Re: PS23 - terrible performance in basic editing - again

I can feel your pain with other versions, but PS23 is pretty solid.

What is your playback optimization set at?  If you have a fast processor with GPU built in, you should be able to turn it all the way down to around 10.

What is your Virtual memory set at?  You should have at least 16384 on a fast SSD.

Do you have watch folders turned on?  If so, it might be building libraries. 

What CPU do you have? 

•  11-28-2020, 19:38 808336 in reply to 808333

Update...   Corel / Pinnacle Support - help results:

Several attempts have been made to get help from  Corel / Pinnacle.  Email tickets have been ignored or closed after one reply with no useable information.
    Attempts to reach in  Chat  last hours and often no one answers  (2 people in que, then 1 person, then nothing more).

Today I was answered in  Chat  after an hour  (again 2 then 1 in que).  Only to be told to uninstall and reinstall without even asking any details  (what issues, what signs, what version of software, what PC specs).  No details, just go uninstall and reinstall and have a nice day - end.

I have done the full uninstall and reinstall,  per past issues over the years in previous versions, sometimes it removes the issue, sometimes not.  Besides, who wants to uninstall and reinstall every few weeks to use a program.
    This does not resolve the re-occurring issue in  Pinnacle,  over various versions, PCs and OS versions.

So hoping someone here can shine some lite on why  Pinnacle Studio  seems to randomly  start to bog-down and drag and eat up the processer, even on small basic video edits, and give some better direction.

•  11-28-2020, 19:54 808337 in reply to 808335

Acsscott,

Thanks for the reply.  Missed the processor line in details and added.
    I have an  Intel I7 7700k  at 4.2ghz

No clue about the other details you mention.
    Was not aware of custom PC tweaking just to get the basic PS to work.
    This is a recent built, fresh new  Windows 10 64bit  install with all updates, OS and drivers,  after the new MB and processor and HD.  So basically a newly built PC, 2-3 months old,  with stock Windows setup no custom tweaks or such.

As to Memory,  pulling from  System Info  page...

Installed Physical  16gb
      Available Physical   10.8gb
      Total Virtual  18.2gb
       Available Virtual   12.1gb

Where do I check the  Playback Optimization  and  Watch Folders ?

•  11-28-2020, 20:46 808339 in reply to 808337

==>  Update #2 -  second tech gave other steps

While typing notes, checks emails and other things,  the  Chat  window remained open and seemed to have 'restarted' a request,  so got a second tech.

Again without asking many details, no s/w version or system specs, gave me steps to...
    - chg  Playback Optimization  to 40%
    - chg  Hardware Acceleration  to None
    - delete  Render Files  (had done before)

This also had no impact on the performace.

I closed RS, even deleted the two  Pinnacle  sub-folders under  AppData\Local,  and restarted.  Opened the sample video  'Sky is the Limit'.

The session opened, but the small images in the Timeline  did not show up for near 60 seconds.
    When I clicked play,  there was a 20 sec delay until the music started but no video playing.  Then about every 20 sec,  it would grab and show a image in the video preview window,  as if skipping along every 20 sec and showing a video scr shot.

Closed out of PS,  restarted.  Moved the  Timeline  bar out to about 25 sec of so and clicked the video segment in the timeline, to see/preview.  Nothing in the video box opened. I clicked Play and the  Timeline bar jumped back to the start, and like before, after a 20sec delay, music started.
    ...the music seemed to play smooth and ok,  but the video never played,  just gave scr-shots every so often

Also tried a  'New Project'  and different personal imported a 1 minute video file to test.  Same results.  No video played.

•  11-28-2020, 21:16 808340 in reply to 808339

An i7-7700K is more than fast enough to preview 1080P video clips without pre-rendering.

Set Hardware acceleration to Intel.  Set Playback optimization between 10 and 40.

Have you looked at Task Manager to see what other programs are running? 

•  11-28-2020, 21:19 808341 in reply to 808340

By the way, you're not going to get any help from others on the forum with way more PS experience than me if you keep bashing the program.  They are not employees of Corel.  I've only been using PS since version 10. 

Just an FYI.

•  11-28-2020, 23:35 808342 in reply to 808341

Re: PS23 - performance issues in basic editing

Asscott,  thanks for the tips.

Have tried both  'None'  and  'Intel'  on the Hardware Acceleration,  finding no different results.
    Also tried the 10%  you suggested along with the 40% per the Chat Tech,  on the  Optimize Threshold,  no improvement found.

Looking at Task Mgr after a fresh PC restart,  under  Apps,  it shows 4 items:
     - Google Chrome,  MS Outlook,  and  NGStudio

Expanding  NGStudio,  it shows...  BG Render,  P S Ultimate,  RenderManager,  Usermode Interupt,  Windows host process (rundll32)

When I try to play, the sub-line  P S Ultimate  goes to about 50% CPU and  'very high' under Power Usage.

In past weeks when PS23 was running fine,  I might also have one or two other lite apps running, but never anything (games, cad, etc) that would take much processor or resources.

No system or program changes, other than W10 updates in recent weeks, since PS started having issues again - it seemed ok a month ago. 

Also FYI...

- Preview Quality  is set as Balanced
     - Render while play  is  Off 
     - have manually deleted the  Render  and two  Pinnacle sub folders under  \AppData\Local

Continues to have a delay when I click  Play  before the audio starts,  and the video still skips and shows a scr-shot maybe every 20 sec.   There is also a 15-20 sec delay from when I click  Pause  before it pauses.

Side questions:  for changes on the  Control Panel  screens, do you suggest exiting and restarting  PS  after making changes ?
    And...  how do we/I insert a  'screen shot'  in to a message in this forum?  The 'insert' only takes a URL, no browse and select a file to insert ?

Thanks for your help and suggestions! 

Frolin  

•  11-28-2020, 23:59 808343 in reply to 808342

Some changes require restart, others do not.  I don't know which ones.  Playback optimization changes immediately.

Was Chrome open when task manager said it was running?  If not, go under advanced settings in chrome and turn off “Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed".  Having this feature turned on allows virus to run and skim your keyboard and mirror your display to Data miners. It should really be off if you have a google account or have google set to sync your devices.

Was Microsoft outlook open when it was displayed in task manager?

If you click on show processes in Task Manager, where any using a high amount of CPU? 

If playback optimization is low so that it doesn't have to pre-render the clips on the timeline, CPU usage will be high during playback.

Setting hardware acceleration to Intel will help editing. I believe this requires a restart.

Make sure your video drivers are correct.  NVidia is known for updating drivers without notification and causing lots of issues with video editors.

•  11-29-2020, 0:01 808344 in reply to 808343

Did you ever try turning off "watch folders" in PS23 to see if it is busy doing that?
  •  11-29-2020, 4:06 808363 in reply to 808344

If the timeline is not rendering (what is Optimization set to?), and CPU usage is that high, what else is running in the background? Open Task Manager (which I always have open) to see "who" is using that much of the CPU.

Also, what is the source of your video files? What created them? 

If you read through the forums, no one else is reporting this problem. Same with the different, yet VERY active facebook groups. 

I would personally LOVE to see my CPU utilized to that extent!

•  11-30-2020, 13:58 808479 in reply to 808344

AcsScott,

It appears the issue has gone away so far and am back to stable.

I tried the various settings you mentioned, even a 'reset' to defaults, without much change. 
    Restarts and only running  Pinnacle  had no effect on the software,  still was very very slow in response and problematic in playing segments.

I did get a response from  Corel Support  asking me to run  MSInfo32  and  WinAudit  and send them the report results,  did that.

After, decided to shut down the PC and my efforts for a day, take a break.  When I got back in today, things seems to be normal again.

Will continue to try some lite editing this week to see if it comes back or stays away...  until the next time.

Thank you again for your patience and suggestions.  Will reply again late this week with an update.

Frolin 

•  11-30-2020, 14:04 808480 in reply to 808363

Hi Tony,

Kindly look over the previous messages , as have covered those details above, along with variations tried.

Odd thing now is, this problem has gone away again  (mentioned in reply above).
    It has been re-occurring for years, over different versions, different PCs, and different OS. 
        Which would seem to imply it is none of the above, but what then.  Ugh

Frolin

•  11-30-2020, 14:12 808481 in reply to 808480

This has happened to me on all versions of PS when I use the particulate effect or have multiple time remapping clips on the timeline.

Other than that, I had a lesser CPU(i7-6700k) than you and never had a complaint about 1080p editing. 

•  11-30-2020, 16:32 808484 in reply to 808481

Maybe this procedure solves your performance problem, version 23 is quite stable compared to 24 I also have an acer notebook with i7700k and 23 and quite stable using this same procedure to configure ja performance I leave at 60% in pinnacle.   

https://youtu.be/OIVVGx64wvU

•  11-30-2020, 18:34 808494 in reply to 808484

victorvideomaker:

Maybe this procedure solves your performance problem, version 23 is quite stable compared to 24 I also have an acer notebook with i7700k and 23 and quite stable using this same procedure to configure ja performance I leave at 60% in pinnacle.   

Has anyone else done this for PS?  When I Right-Click on the desktop, open my Display Settings,  Click on Graphic Settings, it says I don't have any app specific preferences to show. Add an app to get started.

•  11-30-2020, 22:25 808497 in reply to 808494

acsscott:
    victorvideomaker:

Has anyone else done this for PS?  When I Right-Click on the desktop, open my Display Settings,  Click on Graphic Settings, it says I don't have any app specific preferences to show. Add an app to get started.

You have to select and add the exe file to the pinnalce folder in program files.
  •  11-30-2020, 23:39 808498 in reply to 808497

What kind of performance increase did you get over not adding the exe to the list?

With no programs listed I get 100% gpu usage when using ps. 

•  12-01-2020, 11:32 808524 in reply to 808498

I too agree. Right now, PS23 is much more stable than PS24, which is still being updated.

But, with my AMD graphics card, depending on the file format, what effects are used, etc... I can hit 100% and stay there for an export.

Some have given Pinnacle High Priority in Task Manager>Details tab. I've done nothing and the performance with 23 is very good. With 24, there are a few hiccups...

•  12-01-2020, 13:00 808528 in reply to 808498

acsscott:

What kind of performance increase did you get over not adding the exe to the list?

With no programs listed I get 100% gpu usage when using ps. 

I had a good improvement in the Pinnacle 24,with this gpu 100% and some application or something in your windows is running in the 2nd plan if your windows are original you can update and uninstall or disable all that is not necessary to have nothing running in the background 2nd .
    Version 23 was always stable for me and this procedure only improved more
  •  12-01-2020, 14:49 808541 in reply to 808528

I don't see how adding the exe to the list can make GPU usage go above 100%?  Sorry, but I am failing to understand?
  •  12-01-2020, 18:15 808551 in reply to 808541

acsscott:
    I don't see how adding the exe to the list can make GPU usage go above 100%?  Sorry, but I am failing to understand?
    Here mine is configured for high performance, giving some research in other forums about windows and gpu nvidia refers to the update of windows and gpu drives because it is a bug in the windows 10 operating system that causes 100% gpu https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/imagens/LzK6Uyk
  •  12-13-2020, 18:11 809119 in reply to 808481

Greetings,

Appears the performance issues I reported in this message thread have returned and continue to come and go.  It seems to be a problem more often than it is reliable and stable.

I have now worked on 3 new video files.  Starting as a new project each time, import the video file or small files  (normally combined or single file never over 10-15 minutes).
    When I go to the Edit process, there is a long detail as it  'renders'  the import file,  or when the file is copied to the time line.  That is to say, that small preview image at the start of the timeline segment.

And with any edits, it seems to have a delay and re-renders the same segment.  As example,  I take a 5 minute segment, edit/trim off the last 2-3 minutes.  There is a re-render of the remaining file and again, 45 to 60 seconds delay for the preview image to come up.

If I insert a 'standard' Title, go to edit, there is a delay for the edit window to open.

Often after an edit, I can not  'play'  the video without a long delay to start.
    I can not drag the timeline bar and get it to 'stick' at times, as when I hit play, nothing happens for 20-45 seconds and it tends to play from the point it was at.

When I click stop while playing, at times the video stops maybe 5 sec later but the audio continues to play for 10-15 seconds.

If I was on a early, old, first generation I3 with 4-6meg of ram, this would explain the terrible performance.

But being on a newer I7 with 16gig ram and SSD,  and that this problem goes away and comes back later  (ie:  worked fine last week, problems again this week, may start working fine again tomorrow, fail hours in or days later),  there seems to be some software setting or variable that is 'odd/off'.

Frolin 

•  12-13-2020, 20:46 809121 in reply to 809119

I never experienced issues like this with either my i7 or my i9.
  •  12-14-2020, 5:50 809130 in reply to 809121

I too have never experienced it.

Do you have Task Manager open to see what is happening? What might be taking up the resources? Anti virus running? Anti malware running? 

Page 1 of 2 (40 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy