Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Aligning a Clip Marker to a Timeline Marker by Snapping

Last post 12-13-2020, 9:22 by saby. 16 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-08-2020, 19:16 808908

Aligning a Clip Marker to a Timeline Marker by Snapping

Previously I extensively used Pinnacle Liquid Edition to edit countless documentaries, often requiring to align a marker placed in a clip to a marker on the timeline. This was accomplished by grabbing the clip marker and, with it, sliding the clip along its track until it snapped to the marker I had placed on the timeline.  

Typically the clip would be of music, with me wanting one particular note to coincide with action on a video track or maybe commentary or different music on another audio track, at which point I would have placed a marker on the timeline.

If Studio could provide a similar facility, I am sure it would be much used!  
    It must be possible as I gather Studio uses the same programming engine as Liquid did.
  •  12-09-2020, 2:07 808911 in reply to 808908

Re: Aligning a Clip Marker to a Timeline Marker by Snapping

Yes, this would be a useful addition, along with the ability for snapping to work on the ends of clips as well the begining. I guess it might need to be made optional - either in the control panle or with a modifier key (if there are any left!)
  •  12-09-2020, 12:03 808950 in reply to 808911

+1 for adding the ability to be able to snap clip markers to each other. I can see the usefulness of being able to snap the ends of clips to markers too (though haven't needed that here (yet Wink) IMO snapping clip markers to each other would be handy for syncing tracks such as video and separately-recorded audio as an alternative to the multicam editor:

Suggestion: Use the existing "magnetic snapping" tool button and its keyboard shortcut (P)

• The tool button could include a downward-pointing arrow and when clicked would drop doen an icon list of "off", "normal" and "enhanced" (the icon for "enhanced" could perhaps be a smaller horseshoe magnet with a lightning bolt coming out of the end)?
    • The P key could step through the modes "off / "normal" / "enhanced" instead of being just an on/off toggle

Regards,
    Richard

•  12-12-2020, 3:08 809048 in reply to 808911

jjn:
    Yes, this would be a useful addition, along with the ability for snapping to work on the ends of clips as well the begining. I guess it might need to be made optional - either in the control panle or with a modifier key (if there are any left!)

Thanks for endorsing my request, Jeff, and I am greatly enjoying “24 Revealed”! 

•  12-12-2020, 8:21 809053 in reply to 809048

No problem John and thanks for mentioning the book :-)
  •  12-12-2020, 11:53 809068 in reply to 809053

jjn:
    No problem John and thanks for mentioning the book :-)

TBH it was to your book that I looked first regarding this important feature! (I then found your entry on IMDb to compare with my own page there!)

I have another Feature Request (that I used often in Liquid Edition) but will make that a separate entry.

•  12-13-2020, 3:06 809088 in reply to 809068

John - I think you link is broken? https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0354944/
  •  12-13-2020, 4:39 809090 in reply to 809088

jjn:
    John - I think you link is broken? https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0354944/

Negative, Jeff, it works for me on all devices!

Suggest you flush your browser cache if you have visited IMDb recently - or look for me under “Sound Department - Around the World in 80 Days with Michael Palin” (one of the many programmes I worked on in the BBC!).

PS: Have just placed a comment on your Studio blog website under History (of Studio). 

•  12-13-2020, 4:41 809091 in reply to 809090

Like Jeff, I get an error message with Firefox clicking your link.
  •  12-13-2020, 4:52 809093 in reply to 809091

saby:
    Like Jeff, I get an error message with Firefox clicking your link.

Very strange! I can assure you the link is fine.  I have checked it in Safari on both my iPhone and iPad and, as you mention Firefox, I’ve checked it OK in Firefox on my iPad too! 

•  12-13-2020, 5:00 809094 in reply to 809093

Same error with Chrome.

I wonder how a web site URL could start with uk ?

•  12-13-2020, 5:05 809095 in reply to 809094

saby:

Same error with Chrome.

I wonder how a web site URL could start with uk ?

Works for me with and without the “uk” in Safari. 

•  12-13-2020, 5:32 809096 in reply to 809095

The https version works for me but not the http version
  •  12-13-2020, 5:38 809097 in reply to 809096

MHargreaves:
    The https version works for me but not the http version

Thanks, Mark, but that’s weird as the “s” version doesn’t work for me - Safari comes up with an error! 

Browsers are so fussy these days!

•  12-13-2020, 5:53 809099 in reply to 808908

I also think this would be a useful addition - I video musical theatre shows and am often having to synchronise audio/lip sync between clips.  I have to do it by trimming to the clip marker, aligning with snap and then re-expanding the clip once in place.  Aligning of clip markers by snapping would make the process so much quicker.
  •  12-13-2020, 9:15 809109 in reply to 809099

MHargreaves:
    I also think this would be a useful addition - I video musical theatre shows and am often having to synchronise audio/lip sync between clips.  I have to do it by trimming to the clip marker, aligning with snap and then re-expanding the clip once in place.  Aligning of clip markers by snapping would make the process so much quicker.

Mark - Thank you for your endorsement re Aligning Clip/Timeline Markers.  We had it in Liquid and I found it invaluable - it has the precision I like.

I have now adjusted the IMDb URL and it should now work, folks!!  I have checked it in Firefox, this time on my W10 computer - strange that Safari was more tolerant when I tried before!

•  12-13-2020, 9:22 809110 in reply to 809109

Yes, it's ok now.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy