Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Aligning Clip Marker to a Timeline Marker

Last post 12-09-2020, 5:32 by jjn. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-08-2020, 16:09 808902

Aligning Clip Marker to a Timeline Marker

So I have audio on one track and have placed a marker on the timeline (where a music phrase starts). I then import another audio (music) track to the track below. I open this second audio track in the Editor and place a (clip) marker at a significant frame within the clip (on a musical note).  In my previous editing software (Pinnacle Liquid Edition) doing this would enable me, back on the timeline, to “grab” the marker on the clip and slide it so that it clicks into place where my timeline marker is sitting.

How can this precise form of lining up a clip marker to a timeline marker be accomplished in Studio 24U? 

•  12-08-2020, 16:29 808903 in reply to 808902

Re: Aligning Clip Marker to a Timeline Marker

Place a timeline marker at the beginning of the clip or a cut in the clip.  Then when you drag the clip it will jump to the timeline marker
  •  12-08-2020, 16:35 808904 in reply to 808902

Re:Aligning Clip Marker to a Timeline Marker

There is no magnetic snapping with clip markers. You must align them manually.

A tip to nudge a clip by one frame : select it and hit Alt + right or left arrow of your keyboard.

•  12-08-2020, 18:45 808906 in reply to 808904

Re: Re:Aligning Clip Marker to a Timeline Marker

You can make a clip marker snap by temporarly trimming the in point of the clip to the marker, snapping it to where you want, and then unrolling out the clip to it's orginal In point.

A workround, sure, but very quick.

(it the original Inpoint was not the start of the clip, then you might want to add a second clip marker to the In point :-) )

•  12-08-2020, 18:56 808907 in reply to 808906

But these are all rather unwieldy workarounds!  Hate the idea of trimming a clip to use the In point to line up with a timeline marker with all the work involved each time you want to nudge it a frame or two - it’s so easy if the clip marker is ‘magnetic’ to timeline markers.
    When I was (often) music editing in Liquid I used the facility a huge amount for frame accuracy.  
    Perhaps someone knows where the Studio Wish List is kept? After all both products are from Pinnacle - and I gather Studio uses the same engine as Liquid.

•  12-09-2020, 2:02 808909 in reply to 808907

Yes, I said it was a workround. I've been using it for about 10 years now.

Liquid was made by Pinnacle and adopted, then dropped, by Avid. In case you hadn't noticed. Studio was rescued by Corel and Pinnacle is just a brand now. The programming team is based in Asia and the product management is totally different. So I don't think it would be a case of just copy and pasting a bit of code.

Clip markers were almost dropped a few versions ago - they had become so buried into the interface you could hardly find them. Fortunately they were made easier to use in PS24, and maybe Corel might improve their usebility if it is suggested to them. This forum has a Feature Requests subsection and I'd certainly support any request you made there. But don't hold your breath :-)

•  12-09-2020, 2:30 808912 in reply to 808909

jjn:

Yes, I said it was a workround. I've been using it for about 10 years now.

Liquid was made by Pinnacle and adopted, then dropped, by Avid. In case you hadn't noticed. Studio was rescued by Corel and Pinnacle is just a brand now. The programming team is based in Asia and the product management is totally different. So I don't think it would be a case of just copy and pasting a bit of code.

Clip markers were almost dropped a few versions ago - they had become so buried into the interface you could hardly find them. Fortunately they were made easier to use in PS24, and maybe Corel might improve their usebility if it is suggested to them. This forum has a Feature Requests subsection and I'd certainly support any request you made there. But don't hold your breath :-)

Being one of many intensive users of Liquid Edition (from before Avid’s brief acquisition) who mourned its demise after the XP 32-bit platform was superseded, I am fully aware of its history. After a time away from editing, I have returned and hoped Pinnacle Studio would embrace some of its forerunner’s user methods - which it does - to save re-learning techniques, keyboard shortcuts etc. Interesting points you make about the current Asian product management, by the way.

I have made a request on that section of the Forum and thank you for your support of my desire to align clip and timeline markers by snapping.

•  12-09-2020, 5:32 808921 in reply to 808912

Corel is a Canadian company. They employ programmers from elsewhere, but the product development is still in-house.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy