Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

dazzle 100 vs 170

Last post 11-15-2020, 16:37 by culpanr. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-15-2020, 9:12 807622

dazzle 100 vs 170

is there any value in buying the latest dazzle device? I have all sorts of issues trying to import an analog signal and wonder if upgrading might help. Issues include degradation of image and frame dropping

•  11-15-2020, 10:53 807630 in reply to 807622

Re: dazzle 100 vs 170

imaciver:
    is there any value in buying the latest dazzle device? I have all sorts of issues trying to import an analog signal and wonder if upgrading might help. Issues include degradation of image and frame dropping

In my opinion, no - unless you are absolutely certain that the picture degradation and dropped frames are the result of a hardware fault in the Dazzle capture device. The hardware of all the more recent (USB2) Dazzle devices is very similar, and all use the same device driver. So if the poor performance is being caused by a device driver or PC issue, or a Studio bug, changing the Dazzle device itself isn't likely to change anything.

What are your PC specs, which version of Studio are you using, and have you already tried any troubleshooting (for example trying the capture with third-party software such as CaptureFlux, OBS etc. - even the Pinnacle-supplied MultiCam Capture or the "Windows Camera" app might work as a troubleshooting aid if they detect the Dazzle as some sort of "camera")?

Regards,
    Richard
  •  11-15-2020, 11:38 807634 in reply to 807630

Hi Richard

Yes I have tried captureflux with the same poor results. (note no issue at all with digital images captured directly from the camera)

sys is HP Pavilion HPE150F core i7 860@2.8ghz 64 bit, GeForce GT230 v342, Realtek hdmi

operating on windows10 home, Studio plus 24 

connected by s-video at the camera to dazzle with a separate audio cable connection 

Iain 

•  11-15-2020, 16:37 807655 in reply to 807634

Although an old first-generation core i7 CPU, it ought to have more than enough horsepower for a video capture... When you used CaptureFlux, did the captured video drop fames, or did it just look poor on-screen? If the capture using CaptureFlux also dropped loads of frames, then it's probably time to do some troubleshooting (is another USB device conflcting, is there some other app hogging the CPU, memory or disk, etc.)

What was "poor quality" about the capture? Was it noisy/grainy, lacking sharpness, unstable (e.g. vertical lines jittery), etc.?

It might be possible to make a small improvement if the camera has an "Edit" setting while it is in playback mode (look for a switch or a menu setting labelled "EDIT" and try turning it on). Also, if it's a more upmarket camera, does it have any built-in timebase corrector or noise reduction; if it does (on my old Sony TR2200E Hi8 camcorder there are "EDIT", "TBC" and "DNR" settings in the menu - for best video capture all should be on (the picture when viewed on a TV might look better with "EDIT" off - but may turn out more noisy when captured)).

HTH
    Richard

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy