Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Audio Drifts Out of Synch During Capture thru Dazzle

Last post 11-20-2020, 12:38 by Wile.E.Coyote. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-05-2020, 15:54 807242

Audio Drifts Out of Synch During Capture thru Dazzle

I'm running a Dell Studio XPS 435T with Windows 10 Professional.  I've got 12GB of RAM with an Intel Core i7 9th Gen CPU running at 2.67GHz. Display adapter is the on board ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 series, and the audio adapter is the on board AMD HD device.

Studio 24 has been running well on my desktop for several months.  I've done a number of VHS Tape imports thru my Dazzle using 2 different VCRs.  About a month or so ago, sometime after a Windows update, I discovered that the audio starts in perfect synch with the video, but slowly drifts behind.  After about 10 minutes of recording, the audio is about 5 seconds behind the video.

I read what I could find on this forum and others.  I tried a different VCR to play the tapes.  I stopped all non-essential services and scheduled tasks.  I increased the priority of the Studio process to high.  I then reset my system to an earlier time and stopped all Windows updates until December 5th.  Then I tried services, tasks, and priority stuff again.  I re-installed Studio 24.  I removed all programs except Studio and Norton 360.  Turned off Norton for 30 minutes and tried that.  I even tried going back to Studio versions 22 and 23.

The audio continues to drift out of synch.  I've got 8 VHS tapes left from a batch of 30 that I'm doing for a customer.  The first 22 tapes that I imported are just fine.  Exported them to DVD, and the DVDs are just fine.  I'm stuck, so I'm reaching out to you smart and/or experienced folks. 

•  11-06-2020, 2:43 807243 in reply to 807242

Re: Audio Drifts Out of Synch During Capture thru Dazzle

Have you trie reimporting one of the known good tapes to see if it happens on that, just to make sure that it isn't a problem with the tape
  •  11-07-2020, 10:08 807295 in reply to 807243

Yes.  All previously imported videos are still fine, with no creeping audio delay.  I've tried multiple tapes and used 2 different VCRs.  Even had the VCRs cleaned and adjusted a couple of times.  The problem is not with any of the tapes.
  •  11-07-2020, 12:25 807298 in reply to 807295

Ralph_Jones:
    Yes.  All previously imported videos are still fine, with no creeping audio delay.  I've tried multiple tapes and used 2 different VCRs.  Even had the VCRs cleaned and adjusted a couple of times.  The problem is not with any of the tapes.
    If they still import fine it says to me it is something to do with that tape
  •  11-07-2020, 12:50 807299 in reply to 807298

Any reported dropped frames? (there is an indication on the Import page, bottom right ISTR)

This is the third report of Dazzle misbehaving in a week. Perhaps the finger is pointing to a Windows update.

•  11-07-2020, 16:46 807311 in reply to 807299

The dropped frames are the usual 5-6 at the very beginning of the capture.  None once the capture starts.  One other thing, I cannot stress enough that the problem is NOT with the tapes.  They play just fine in a VCR connected to the television.  They play just fine in the import screen in Studio 24 during the capture.  The actual video file that the capture produces is where the problem is.  I firmly believe it's a software issue.  Whether it's in Studio or as a result of the Microsoft update, I don't know.
  •  11-07-2020, 16:49 807312 in reply to 807311

If it is the Windows Update, then maybe I didn't go back far enough in my system restores.  Problem is, I don't have any more to go back to.  I'm as far back in my system restore as I can go.
  •  11-07-2020, 17:53 807314 in reply to 807312

You won't even be aware of a disturbance on playback that causes a dropped frame just by watching playback on aTV. I speak from bitter experince.

But that's not going to happen before the capture starts, or always at a fixedpoint in time. Are you using the Countdown feature or have you turned it off?

•  11-08-2020, 8:55 807330 in reply to 807314

Countdown feature is turned off.  I also turn off Scene Detection, as I can always do that later.
  •  11-09-2020, 8:39 807362 in reply to 807330

To be clear, the dropped frames that I'm talking about, usually 5 or 6, occur when I press the Capture button in the PS24 Import window.  So it's dropping the first couple of frames immediately after I start the capture.  After that, for the rest of the capture, no other frames are dropped.
  •  11-11-2020, 12:03 807465 in reply to 807362

Don't know what else to do at this point.  I've got to get PS24 working, as I'm falling behind on work for my customers.  So I've ordered new hard drives, and I'm going to re-install Windows 10, then my programs.  My data files are all on a separate drive and backed up to a NAS, so no issues there.  I'm keeping to old Windows drive as a fall-back plan.
  •  11-18-2020, 16:46 807806 in reply to 807465

Still need a lot of help, folks. 

I have tried recording after removing all programs except PS24 and stopping all non-essential services.  Audio drift still occurs, regardless of which tape I record or which VHS player I use.

I then removed PS24, installed a fresh copy of Windows, re-installed PS24, and tried again.  Audio drift still occurs.

I then removed the hard drive, installed a SSD, reloaded Windows 10 and PS24, and tried again.  Sad to say, the audio drift still occurs, although it doesn't drift as quickly.  As I keep my data files on a separate hard drive, I even changed that out, putting in a new HD running at 7200rpm vice the old 5400rpm.

I believe this is an issue between the current version of Windows 10 and PS24.  Anybody else having this issue?  Can Pinnacle weigh in on this?

•  11-18-2020, 17:45 807811 in reply to 807806

Oh yeah, I added some RAM also.  Up to 40GB now.

Had problems with my forum account, so they changed my user name and ported me to a new account. 

•  11-20-2020, 12:38 807883 in reply to 807811

Got this resolved, but had to do it the hard way.  Took out my hard drive and replaced it with a SSD.  Installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro.  Then installed all of my programs all over again.  Then I put in a 1TB SSD and pointed all of the PS24 file locations, both Import and Storage, to some Pinnacle folders I created on the data SSD.  Figured that would give me the fastest response time using PS24.  Then, I went into Task Scheduler and set all of the tasks to Disabled except for my computer security suite (Norton). 

Finally, and I think this is the real key, I went into the Services running on my PC and disabled several of the Microsoft services that I don't need.  Found a good list of which ones are safe to disable, based on how you use your PC, at this URL:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/which-windows-10-services-safe-to-disable

Once that was all done, I tried recording some VHS tapes thru the Dazzle.  Worked just like it used to, before Microsoft screwed up some updates.  So I'm  back in business.  I also contacted  Pinnacle customer support and let them know there's some issues between PS24 and the latest Windows 10 upgrade.  Hopefully they'll get it figured out so this doesn't happen to anybody else.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy