Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Dazzle USB "static", or "thumping" noise

Last post 4 minutes ago by culpanr. 21 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-26-2020, 23:14 807066

Dazzle USB "static", or "thumping" noise

Just got a Dazzle USB.  Trying to import video with Pinnacle Studio 21 AND 23 (I own and have tried both).

When I go to the import tab for the Dazzle, there is a loud, constant, annoying, staticky thumping noise coming through the speakers.  It's not "white noise" kind of static.  It's hard to describe.  It's a deep "thumping" sound, but very fast and random.

Again, this happens with both Studio 21 and 23.

I have tried plugging the Dazzle into several different USB ports on my computer and it happens no matter which USB port it's plugged into.

Thank you. 

•  10-27-2020, 4:11 807071 in reply to 807066

Re: Dazzle USB "static", or "thumping" noise

That sounds like it could be electronic howlround - that the audio output of the Dazzle is being fed back into the device. Obviously this would be possible if you are feeding the Dazzle audio input from your computer, but if you aren't then it might be worth checking the Windows audio mixer to see if something odd has been set.
  •  10-27-2020, 13:41 807087 in reply to 807071

Would you try with CaptureFlux : http://paul.glagla.free.fr/captureflux_en.htm

It may help finding out if Pinnacle Studio is the culprit.

•  10-27-2020, 21:38 807097 in reply to 807087

jjn:
    That sounds like it could be electronic howlround - that the audio output of the Dazzle is being fed back into the device. Obviously this would be possible if you are feeding the Dazzle audio input from your computer, but if you aren't then it might be worth checking the Windows audio mixer to see if something odd has been set.

I agree now that you mention it, that is what it sounds like.  But I have no idea how that would be happening.  It happens even with NO physical Audio/Video inputs plugged into the Dazzle.  I checked all of my sound settings in Windows and various programs, and it all looks "correct" (for what I expect as correct).  And I've shut down all other applications except Studio and it still happens.

Is there any kind of sound mapping/routing config WITHIN Studio itself that I might not be aware of (I'm not aware of any) and thus that I might have messed up?

The sound only happens in Studio when I'm on the Dazzle Import tab. I have a USB webcam that Studio recognizes and it doesn't produce any weird sounds.

saby:
    Would you try with CaptureFlux : http://paul.glagla.free.fr/captureflux_en.htm

It may help finding out if Pinnacle Studio is the culprit.

CaptureFlux does not recognize my Dazzle device.  I even downloaded those 3 additional plugin .pcf files and it still won't recognize my Dazzle.

Is there any other software I can try to test this with?  The Dazzle doesn't show up as a "camera" type device, so no other camera/video type software I have recognizes it.

Side note, if it matters, I did NOT install the software that came with the Dazzle, since I already had the full Pinnacle Studio 21 and 23.  Windows recognized the Dazzle and installed drivers for it from Microsoft.  Are there maybe better drivers or something that I should I install from the disc that came with the Dazzle?

On a separate note, how do I even know what model of Dazzle I have anyway?  I've seen references on many sites to DVC130, DVC170, and possibly others.  Mine is apparently simply "Dazzle DVD Recorder HD."  I can't find any "model" number anywhere on the device itself or on the box.  I believe it's the most current one sold.  I didn't buy it from the Pinnacle web site (I got it on Amazon) but the box and device look exactly like this one:  https://www.pinnaclesys.com/en/products/dazzle/dvd-recorder-hd

•  10-28-2020, 5:47 807098 in reply to 807097

clh:
    Side note, if it matters, I did NOT install the software that came with the Dazzle, since I already had the full Pinnacle Studio 21 and 23.  Windows recognized the Dazzle and installed drivers for it from Microsoft.  Are there maybe better drivers or something that I should I install from the disc that came with the Dazzle?

If Windows downloaded and installed generic drivers, they might not have been optimised for the Dazzle device (although the most probable symptom of any such "mismatch" would be that some features did not work, not that you got unwanted audio noises).

FWIW the full versions of Pinnacle Studio do provide drivers for the Dazzle devices on the retail DVD or in the download; look in the DVD or your download for the folder 64bit\Drivers\x64 - you should find three installation files for "Dazzle Video Capture DVC100 X64 Driver 1.08". Earlier versions of Studio did automatically install the driver during Studio setup; that may have happened for you - look in Windows "Apps and Features" to see if you already have an entry like "Dazzle Video Capture DVC100 X64 Driver 1.08". If you do not (and generic Microsoft drivers are installed), it may be worth using the Windows device manager to uninstall those generic drivers, then run the Dazzle driver setup from your Studio installation disc/download, plug the Dazzle device back in and see if anything has changed.

BTW - your Dazzle device is probably a DVC100 - but the Pinnacle driver on the disc/download supports all of the more-recent (USB2) models.

My own suspicion is that if the audio noises continue with nothing connected to the Dazzle's audio inputs, that it may be faulty Sad

HTH
    Richard

•  10-31-2020, 10:08 807131 in reply to 807098

culpanr:

clh:

If Windows downloaded and installed generic drivers, they might not have been optimised for the Dazzle device (although the most probable symptom of any such "mismatch" would be that some features did not work, not that you got unwanted audio noises).

FWIW the full versions of Pinnacle Studio do provide drivers for the Dazzle devices on the retail DVD or in the download; look in the DVD or your download for the folder 64bit\Drivers\x64 - you should find three installation files for "Dazzle Video Capture DVC100 X64 Driver 1.08". Earlier versions of Studio did automatically install the driver during Studio setup; that may have happened for you - look in Windows "Apps and Features" to see if you already have an entry like "Dazzle Video Capture DVC100 X64 Driver 1.08". If you do not (and generic Microsoft drivers are installed), it may be worth using the Windows device manager to uninstall those generic drivers, then run the Dazzle driver setup from your Studio installation disc/download, plug the Dazzle device back in and see if anything has changed.

BTW - your Dazzle device is probably a DVC100 - but the Pinnacle driver on the disc/download supports all of the more-recent (USB2) models.

My own suspicion is that if the audio noises continue with nothing connected to the Dazzle's audio inputs, that it may be faulty Sad

HTH

Richard

I did find and figure out the drivers that are included with the Studio software.  Those ARE the drivers that were installed originally.  They end up in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Pinnacle\Dazzle Video Capture DVC100 X64 Driver 1.08" when installing Studio.

I also found elsewhere a link to these drivers, http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFiles/Hardware_Installer/Pinnacle_Video_Driver_64bit.exe.  I do NOT think these are current.  They are VERY old, like 2006.  I tried installing them and had all kinds of other issues outside of my original reported sound issue.  I ended up reverting back to the original drivers mentioned above which are installed with Studio. 

So, more testing...

MultiCam Capture Lite, OBS, and Discord all recognize the Dazzle.  (Yeah, weird for Discord, but as a test, it works.  I just select it like I would a webcam.  And again, CaptureFlux does NOT recognize the Dazzle.)  The same issue happens with these other software.  But another odd thing is that if I actually capture video from the Dazzle, I do NOT hear that "thumping" sound, but both the sound and video in the recording are "jumpy" and the audio is way out of sync with the video.

And I've now noticed that it exhibits the "high pitched" audio that the original poster in this thread mentions: http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/thread/803438.aspx

NOW, one new piece if info I just discovered.  Studio (both 23 and 21) can't seem to capture from an analog input video device if my life depended on it.  They drop TONS of frames.  I might be lucky if it actually DOES capture 3 to 5 frames per second (if it's supposed to be capturing 30 fps).  This happens with not only the Dazzle, but also just a normal webcam.  I have 2 different webcams I tested with and it does it on both.

I wonder if whatever is causing the dropped frames is also interfering with the Dazzle.

I have a good system which should have no trouble capturing video.  Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, Intel Core i7 8700K, 16 GB RAM, 4 TB SATA RAID 0 hard drive (2 - 2 TB 7200 RPM drives in RAID 0), 1 TB SSD drive, nVidia GeForce 1080.  I tried capturing both to the physical RAID 0 SATA drive array, and also to the SSD, and the same thing happens.  OBS captures video and audio from the same webcam devices just fine (flawlessly).  MultiCam Capture captures not quite as well as OBS and Discord, but WAY better than Studio.

•  11-02-2020, 22:33 807178 in reply to 807131

Following from jin's reply to my brief post in the other thread (http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/thread/803438.aspx)...

My post in the other thread... 
    clh:
    I'm having similar but different issues with the Dazzle in this thread.  http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/thread/807066.aspx

One thing that I don't see that was ever answered in this thread, which I do mention in mine, is that CaptureFlux does NOT recognize my Dazzle.  I have the same Dazzle that this OP has, the "Dazzle DVD Recorder HD," model DVCPTENAM.

I'm using the drivers that are included with Studio in the 64bit\Drivers\x64 directory on the Studio installation DVD called "Dazzle Video Capture DVC100 X64 Driver 1.08."

I found a reference in various other places to a link to download Dazzle drivers from the Pinnacle web site, but they did not work for me.  Those drivers did not work for me.  They are VERY old, from 2007, and I had all kinds of other issues beyond the original issues when trying to use those older drivers.

To which jin replied...
    jjn:

Those old drivers are on a page dated 2012. Whenever asked, Pinnacle say that they are the latest drivers. The ones included with the software make have a different packing date but I don't think they will have more or different functionality.

Something is clearly affecting your entire instalation., hence the issue with capturing your webcam as well. With Studio oen at the Import tab, what activity is the task manager showing? 

I am glad you acknowledge those other downloadable drivers are not the ones to use.  I found a LOT of references in posts on these forums and in some KB articles and such pointing to those.  Pinnacle really needs to fix that.

BUT ANYWAY, that issue aside, I've also had a a bit of a further revelation...

I took another tip from the original poster of that other thread and changed the audio driver from the Pinnacle driver to the generic Microsoft "USB Audio" driver.  Guess what?!  The staticky "thumping" noise goes away.  Sound comes through crystal clear now.

Clearly, Pinnacle needs to do work on their drivers.  EVEN the ones that are included with Pinnacle Studio, that sort-of work (better than the super-old 2007 drivers) are dated 2015.

@Jin, when you ask what activity task manager is showing, are you referring to the "Performance" tab, like CPU, Memory, and Disk general performance?  Or you asking what other programs/processes are running?

Again, here are my system specs.  From a spec standpoint, I can't imagine anything being insufficient to impact capturing.  Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, Intel Core i7 8700K, 16 GB RAM, 4 TB SATA RAID 0 hard drive (2 - 2 TB 7200 RPM drives in RAID 0), 1 TB SSD drive, nVidia GeForce 1080.

If you mean performance...
    For reference, before starting Studio, my CPU is about 1%, memory at 5.5 GB used (of 16 GB total).  Disk activity is 0% to 1% or 2% in spurts.
    After running Studio and going to the Import tab with my webcam selected as the input device, but NOT capturing, CPU runs about 4% about half of which is NGStudio.  Memory used is now 7.1 GB used, 732.5 MB is NGStudio and 266.3 MB is a "Render Service" that shows up after I launch Studio.  Disk activity is still 0% to 1%.

If you mean what other programs/processes are running, I've shut down all extra programs I can, including ending task on several things that aren't critical.  It's down to the bare minimum required for the system to run.

•  11-03-2020, 3:26 807179 in reply to 807178

clh:

Following from jin's reply to my brief post in the other thread (http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/thread/803438.aspx)...

My post in the other thread... 
    clh:
    I'm having similar but different issues with the Dazzle in this thread.  http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/thread/807066.aspx

One thing that I don't see that was ever answered in this thread, which I do mention in mine, is that CaptureFlux does NOT recognize my Dazzle.  I have the same Dazzle that this OP has, the "Dazzle DVD Recorder HD," model DVCPTENAM.

I'm using the drivers that are included with Studio in the 64bit\Drivers\x64 directory on the Studio installation DVD called "Dazzle Video Capture DVC100 X64 Driver 1.08."

I found a reference in various other places to a link to download Dazzle drivers from the Pinnacle web site, but they did not work for me.  Those drivers did not work for me.  They are VERY old, from 2007, and I had all kinds of other issues beyond the original issues when trying to use those older drivers.

To which jin replied...
    jjn:

Those old drivers are on a page dated 2012. Whenever asked, Pinnacle say that they are the latest drivers. The ones included with the software make have a different packing date but I don't think they will have more or different functionality.

Something is clearly affecting your entire instalation., hence the issue with capturing your webcam as well. With Studio oen at the Import tab, what activity is the task manager showing? 

I am glad you acknowledge those other downloadable drivers are not the ones to use.

Please don't put words into my mouth. Where do you get that from my post? I don't say that. I said that the supplied drivers may appear different to the downloadable ones " but I don't think they will have more or different functionality."

I'm in the process of rebuilding my desktop. When I'm done I'll try to find time to test the two types of drivers. The Dazzle has been around since the 2012 date of the drivers page, as has my USB 510 (or they would not appear on the list), both of which use the same 64 bit drivers. All these capture devices were in existence before Corel took over the company. How much wortk Corel have done, I don't know, but they may not even have access the the source code.

What are these other issue you get with the "older" drivers?

Anyway, your system is dropping massive amounts of frames regardless of which drivers you use, so your point is irrelevant.

I asked what activity the task manager was showing - the real time total usage of the CPU and Hard drives are what are important here. Those figures you quote are fine, but are they showing during capture? I have some video to digitize later today and I'll make a note of what my rather paltry laptop consumes during capture - it never drops frames :-)

Dropped frames can be caused either by inadequate system performance (which is clearly not the case with your hardware), incorrect instalation of the Dazzle (I assume you have tried a variety of USB ports and it's not plugged into a hub but straight into the mainboard) or experincing a bottleneck writing to the hard disc - I assume you have tested it on both drives and you aren't using disc compression. It has been suggested that indexing can also cause a bottleneck but I see no evidence of that.

As for installing the generic audio drivers, this may have reset the configuration of your audio. Perhaps there was a clash with your webcam.

•  11-06-2020, 22:30 807266 in reply to 807179

I haven't had a chance to do more testing yet, hopefully this weekend, but wanted to answer some of the other stuff. 

jjn:
    clh:
    I am glad you acknowledge those other downloadable drivers are not the ones to use.
    Please don't put words into my mouth. Where do you get that from my post? I don't say that. I said that the supplied drivers may appear different to the downloadable ones " but I don't think they will have more or different functionality."
    I apologize.   You're right, I made an assumption.  Since I could not get the old drivers to work, I jumped to the conclusion based on my experience that you were acknowledging my experience by implying that the old drivers were not the ones to use.  I see now that is not what you meant.  I also didn't mean to imply any functionality difference.  It's more of a compatibility issue.  I could not get the old drivers to work at all, thus "incompatible."

Also of note, like you said, that page those older drivers are on is dated 2012.  But the drivers themselves, once downloaded and installed, are from 2007.  Maybe they're still valid for some of the older Dazzle devices, but based on my experience I'd say they are "not the drivers to use" (in my own words) for the current Dazzle device on up-to-date Windows 10.

Even the drivers included on the Dazzle DVD and with the Studio installation are dated 2015, 5 years old at this point. 

jjn:
    What are these other issue you get with the "older" drivers?
    With the older 2007 drivers, I couldn't get them to work at all.  Either no picture, no sound, VERY stuttery sound or video (I mean on the input source, not during a capture).  Not just the dropping frames in Studio, but in every other piece of software I tried (primarily MultiCam Capture and OBS Studio).  Sometimes locking up whatever specific of software I was trying to capture in and having to end task on it.

With the drivers included with Studio, dated 2015, at least everything "worked" with the exception of my original issue of the static thumping sound.

jjn:

Anyway, your system is dropping massive amounts of frames regardless of which drivers you use, so your point is irrelevant.
    It's not irrelevant.  The issues I had using the old drivers are entirely different than the dropping frames.  Again, I could not get the old drivers to work at all.  WAY more issues, completely unrelated to the dropping frames, or my original sound static thumping issue, with the old drivers than with the 2015 drivers.

I guess it's irrelevant to my specific issue, in that the older drivers are not a solution to my issue.

What *I* was trying to say in this regard is a separate, general comment that based on my experience I don't believe the 2007 drivers are even relevant for the currently sold Dazzle device on current, up-to-date Windows 10.  Regardless of my specific issue. 

jjn:

I asked what activity the task manager was showing - the real time total usage of the CPU and Hard drives are what are important here. Those figures you quote are fine, but are they showing during capture? I have some video to digitize later today and I'll make a note of what my rather paltry laptop consumes during capture - it never drops frames :-)
    I'll check this as soon as I can, hopefully this weekend.  I have looked at this before, and nothing was seriously maxed out, but I'll have to check it again to get specific numbers.

jjn:

Dropped frames can be caused either by inadequate system performance (which is clearly not the case with your hardware), incorrect instalation of the Dazzle (I assume you have tried a variety of USB ports and it's not plugged into a hub but straight into the mainboard) or experincing a bottleneck writing to the hard disc - I assume you have tested it on both drives and you aren't using disc compression. It has been suggested that indexing can also cause a bottleneck but I see no evidence of that.
    I have tried several different USB ports, both USB 2.0 and 3.0.  I did have it plugged into a hub originally but I have also tried different ports directly on the main board.  I even unplugged almost all other USB devices from the computer.  There are a few more USB devices that I have not had a chance to disconnect yet.  This weekend I hope to have time to completely unplug ALL other USB devices except my mouse and keyboard.  Yes, I tested capturing to both drives, and correct, no compression or encryption on the drives.

Also, to clarify, the dropping frames has nothing to do with the Dazzle.  The dropped frames happen recording from a regular webcam even withOUT the Dazzle even plugged in.   And I've tried 3 different webcams.

ALSO also, OBS Studio captures and records perfectly fine, both from the webcam and mostly the Dazzle.  MultiCam Capture captures better than Studio, but not quite as well OBS Studio.  Although MultiCam Capture captures mostly ok, the video will be somewhat jittery.  Whereas OBS Studio is perfectly smooth.  The MASSIVE dropped frames only happens in Studio.

jjn:

As for installing the generic audio drivers, this may have reset the configuration of your audio. Perhaps there was a clash with your webcam.
    Maybe, but I don't think so.  The thumping noise happens even without any webcam plugged in.  Also, if I switched back to the 2015 driver included with Studio, the thumping returns.

To clarify regarding trying different drivers, I didn't really "install" the generic MS audio driver.  What I mean by this is that in Device Manager, I right-click on the "Dazzle USB Video Capture Audio Device," select Update Driver, click "Browse my computer for drivers," click "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer," and select a new, already-installed driver.  In the audio case, one of the options is the "USB Audio" driver from Microsoft.

That is also how I switched between drivers to test the older 2007 drivers against the 2015 drivers.  I of course did "install" the 2007 drivers first, but to "use" them I had to do the above procedure to manually select them.  In fact, I also had to UNcheck the box in the driver dialog to "Show compatible drivers" to even see the 2007 drivers.  If I didn't uncheck that box, it only showed me the 2015 drivers.  (The 2015 drivers were already "installed" from having been installed with Studio.)

•  11-07-2020, 3:23 807275 in reply to 807266

Let's put the drivers to one side at the moment, As I said, I'm still re-installing windows and setting up a four user desktop and I don't want to mess up my new boot disk until I've imaged it. Also, I don't have a Dazzle, but a USB510 (which uses the same drivers but has diffferent/superiour features).

It seems to me that the audio howl and frame dropiing are two issues, as the frame dropping happens on the webcam (and you have a workaround solution to the howlround)  I've just gone back to test PS24 and the inbuilt capture tab version of webcam capture and it too is dropping massive numbers of frames - and I don't recall this happening the last time I used it, but that was before I got the Windows 2020 update installed. However, if I use the MultiCam Capture device tool (my tool of choice with the webcam) it's fine.

Going back to the drivers, Corel (in the form of the Beta testing manager) reported quite a few years ago (but MUCH later than 2012) that the webpage contained the "final" versions of all the drivers. That page dates back to the time Avid owned the company. Having looked inside the Install files, PS16 has the same drivers as the webpage, PS17 has them rolled into an MSI version 1.06 and PS19 has version 1.08 - the same version as currently being distributed with PS24 - which would equate with the 2015 date. I'll try the older versions when I've finished the rebuild, and I'll also hook up USB 510 to the desktop (as I said, it worked perfectly on my laptop a few weeks ago).

•  11-07-2020, 13:05 807300 in reply to 807275

Weird - I've just gone to test my desktop webcam capture in PS24 again, and this time it's not dropping any frames. Only difference I can see is that I may have been syncing Onedrive in the background before, but that hardly impacts on the HDD overhead at all.
  •  11-07-2020, 14:30 807304 in reply to 807300

Thought I'd run another PS24 test on my laptop (it's webcam was broken in a windows update) I recorded over 3 hours of analogue without any issues about 3 weeks ago.

The laptop was pending two updates. I let the first install (Net frameworks) then hooked up the laptop and the sound was broken. It was't occillating, just dead. Capture was free of dropped frames.

I then installed the 20H2 update, and the first time I tried to capture got a massive amount of dropped frames - so many that capture dropped out. I then toggled the countown feature and after that capture has reverted to normal - no dropped frames amd good audio. Note - the USB 510 allows you to adjust the audio levels. I believe that the Dazzler has a fixed level.

I don't know if this proves anything, other than if you aren't completly up to date on Windows it might be the cause of the audio issues.

•  11-07-2020, 16:02 807310 in reply to 807304

jjn:

Thought I'd run another PS24 test on my laptop (it's webcam was broken in a windows update) I recorded over 3 hours of analogue without any issues about 3 weeks ago.

The laptop was pending two updates. I let the first install (Net frameworks) then hooked up the laptop and the sound was broken. It was't occillating, just dead. Capture was free of dropped frames.

I then installed the 20H2 update, and the first time I tried to capture got a massive amount of dropped frames - so many that capture dropped out. I then toggled the countown feature and after that capture has reverted to normal - no dropped frames amd good audio. Note - the USB 510 allows you to adjust the audio levels. I believe that the Dazzler has a fixed level.

I don't know if this proves anything, other than if you aren't completly up to date on Windows it might be the cause of the audio issues.

Sound sort of familiar http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/thread/806491.aspx
  •  11-08-2020, 10:43 807332 in reply to 807310

Re: Dazzle USB "static", or "thumping" noise, and massive dropped frames while capturing

jjn, thank you for all the testing you've done.

I finally got around to testing more last night myself.  In short, I still have the dropped frames issue and cannot pinpoint any cause.  I've stripped things down as bare as I possibly can with no effect.  Additional detail...

I can say, my computer is up to date on Windows updates.  It's on auto-update, and I also periodically check for update manually just to be sure.  I did double-check, and it's up to date.  That said, the 20H2 update is not being offered on this PC yet.  I've seen 20H2 get offered, and I've installed on other PCs, but Windows Update is not offering it on this PC yet.  I do know MS staggers the rollout of feature updates, and 20H2 just started rolling out maybe 2 weeks ago, so this PC simply may not have had it's number come up yet (so to speak).  But it does have the 2004 update and is fully up to date with any other updates for 2004.

I now have ALL other USB devices unplugged. The only USB things plugged in are the webcam and my keyboard and mouse (which, hopefully not that it matters but, are wireless and use one of those little wireless USB dongles that serves both of the KB and mouse).

I have gone into Task Manager and the Startup tab and disabled ALL startup items (literally, everything).

I have gone into Services and disabled any service that was tied to any type of 3rd party software I have installed.  I.e., anything that isn't a standard Windows service.

I still have the massive dropped frames capturing from the webcam.

At this point, short of reformatting and reinstalling Windows from scratch, which I'm not going to do since I don't have any other issues with anything else, I'm not sure what else I can do.

OH, DURING a capture (an attempted capture), CPU runs about 14% and Disk barely registers at 1% to 2%.

kiteflyer:

Hmm, this could be interesting.  If I read that other thread correctly, I believe it implies the cause of the sync issue or dropped frames, for that person, is possibly due to the webcam itself putting out a variable frame rate?

IF that could possibly be the case in my situation, that would be a whole separate issue that is masking whatever may be going on with the Dazzle.  I.e., yes, the Dazzle also drops frames (aside from the audio and driver issues), but maybe that's completely unrelated to the webcam dropping frames?

Is there any way to know if the webcam is putting out a variable frame rate?  I have 2 different webcams I've tested with and they both have the massive dropped frame issue with Studio.  And both MultiCam Capture and OBS Studio do capture from both webcams just fine.

•  11-08-2020, 15:04 807339 in reply to 807332

Re: Dazzle USB "static", or "thumping" noise, and massive dropped frames while capturing

clh:

jjn, thank you for all the testing you've done.

I finally got around to testing more last night myself.  In short, I still have the dropped frames issue and cannot pinpoint any cause.  I've stripped things down as bare as I possibly can with no effect.  Additional detail...

I can say, my computer is up to date on Windows updates.  It's on auto-update, and I also periodically check for update manually just to be sure.  I did double-check, and it's up to date.  That said, the 20H2 update is not being offered on this PC yet.  I've seen 20H2 get offered, and I've installed on other PCs, but Windows Update is not offering it on this PC yet.  I do know MS staggers the rollout of feature updates, and 20H2 just started rolling out maybe 2 weeks ago, so this PC simply may not have had it's number come up yet (so to speak).  But it does have the 2004 update and is fully up to date with any other updates for 2004.

I now have ALL other USB devices unplugged. The only USB things plugged in are the webcam and my keyboard and mouse (which, hopefully not that it matters but, are wireless and use one of those little wireless USB dongles that serves both of the KB and mouse).

I have gone into Task Manager and the Startup tab and disabled ALL startup items (literally, everything).

I have gone into Services and disabled any service that was tied to any type of 3rd party software I have installed.  I.e., anything that isn't a standard Windows service.

I still have the massive dropped frames capturing from the webcam.

At this point, short of reformatting and reinstalling Windows from scratch, which I'm not going to do since I don't have any other issues with anything else, I'm not sure what else I can do.

OH, DURING a capture (an attempted capture), CPU runs about 14% and Disk barely registers at 1% to 2%.

kiteflyer:

Hmm, this could be interesting.  If I read that other thread correctly, I believe it implies the cause of the sync issue or dropped frames, for that person, is possibly due to the webcam itself putting out a variable frame rate?

IF that could possibly be the case in my situation, that would be a whole separate issue that is masking whatever may be going on with the Dazzle.  I.e., yes, the Dazzle also drops frames (aside from the audio and driver issues), but maybe that's completely unrelated to the webcam dropping frames?

Is there any way to know if the webcam is putting out a variable frame rate?  I have 2 different webcams I've tested with and they both have the massive dropped frame issue with Studio.  And both MultiCam Capture and OBS Studio do capture from both webcams just fine.

I'm willing to have a play around on the webcam side of things, between the desktop & laptop I've 3 webcams I can try

•  11-10-2020, 23:08 807446 in reply to 807339

FYI, my PC was offered the Windows 10 20H2 update today.  I installed it, checked for updates again to verify I wasn't missing any other updates.

I still have the massive dropped frames in Studio. 

•  11-15-2020, 22:10 807659 in reply to 807446

Well, back to the original problem with the Dazzle, I'm giving up on the Dazzle and returning it.  Sound issue also aside, seemingly resolved after setting the audio driver to the generic Microsoft "USB Audio" driver, I cannot get a stable capture with any software using the Dazzle.  Every other piece of software captures SIGNIFICANTLY better than Studio, but the video is always still jittery, freezing for just a fraction of a second every 2 or 3 seconds.

By comparison, I have a cheap $12 USB AV capture device I bought a year or so ago and it captures flawlessly using every other piece of software except Studio.  It had some video quality issues with some of the videos (VHS tapes) I tried to capture with it originally, which is why I was interested in the Dazzle and jumped on the Dazzle on the Amazon Prime day sale.  But the Dazzle is not worth the trouble.  This other cheap device works well enough for most videos.

Looks like I get the best capture using OBS Studio, which I wouldn't even have normally if I hadn't recently joined a group who stream on Twitch.  So I'll capture using that and then I guess edit using Studio.

Also frame drops aside with Studio, Studio doesn't recognize this other USB capture device.  It shows up as a "Camera" in Windows Device Manager and every other piece of software I have that can capture, including MultiCam Capture, will recognize it, but Studio won't.

Now if only I can figure out the frame drop issue with Studio, as a separate issue. 

•  11-18-2020, 1:51 807761 in reply to 807659

I've seen the Dazzle is on special offer on the Pinnacle website, so despite having a working solution in my USB 510 (and also a HDMI to USB adaptor), I've ordered a Dazzle to play with. I'll post back if my experience mirrors yours.
  •  11-19-2020, 22:20 807839 in reply to 807761

jjn:
    I've seen the Dazzle is on special offer on the Pinnacle website, so despite having a working solution in my USB 510 (and also a HDMI to USB adaptor), I've ordered a Dazzle to play with. I'll post back if my experience mirrors yours.

I'll be curious.  Yeah, that's reason I got it, is it was on sale on Amazon for Prime Day.

I should also clarify, the "jitteriness" I mention about the Dazzle, sound driver issue aside, is visible even in the live preview without a capture even running, even in other software besides Studio.  So that specifically is not even a capture issue.

I will admit, it's entirely possible there is something unique with my system that's causing all of this, but I don't know what it would be.  I don't have any specialty hardware or software that I can think of that could cause anything like that,  Drivers are all up to date.  And still having issues after I stripped down startup items and services, and unplugged all other USB devices, I really don't know what could be special on my system to cause these issues.  And I've never had any issues with any other devices, USB or otherwise.  But I can't rule it out either.

BIOS setting of some sort maybe?  But again, I haven't specifically tweaked any of my BIOS settings from what should be normal.  Although I know every motherboard is different.  Aside from my main system specs I gave before, my motherboard is a Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming Wi-Fi 1.0.

•  11-20-2020, 2:15 807841 in reply to 807839

I think it's more likely to be a faulty device than a software, firmware or driver issue. The Dazzle is siting hat home, but I won't be there until next weekend.

One thought (which you probably have already covered) is that the device is set to PAL/50hz when you are capturing NTSC/60hz, or vice versa. It's not an autodetect.feature, but the setting location escapes me.

•  11-20-2020, 16:02 807885 in reply to 807841

•  4 minutes ago 808106 in reply to 807885

FWIW I just purchased a Dazzle in the Pinnacle Black Friday sale, and on a Dell Inspiron 15 5570 laptop I can reproduce both of the recently-reported "troubles"...

• Audio crackling - also resolved here by installing the generic Microsoft audio driver instead of the Pinnacle one
    • Jerky preview + frame-dropping on capture - happens if using any application that recognises the Dazzle as a capture device (not just Pinnacle Studio)

No obvious CPU, memory or disk bottlenecks observed using Windows task manager; it could be a USB port issue? I intend to try on a couple of other PCs to see if there is any difference...

Regards,
    Richard

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy