Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Any developments on 5.1 export

Last post 13 hours, 3 minutes ago by saby. 23 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-05-2020, 18:24 802285

Any developments on 5.1 export

Bought version 23 a year ago and gave up when they removed 5.1 without letting anyone know before purchase (and expected my to re-purchase previous plugins).  I've been using a few other programs since but was wondering if Pinnacle/Corel ever decided to address the 5.1 rip off.  Seriously, you can export in 5.1 with free NLEs.  
  •  08-05-2020, 19:55 802286 in reply to 802285

Re: Any developments on 5.1 export

We are working on restoring it.  Please stay tuned. 
  •  08-05-2020, 20:22 802290 in reply to 802286

It's been a year....  I started my journey with Pinnacle when it was a video card that came with Adobe Premiere.  I went through Pinnacle DV, and then version 7 though 8, 9 and so many other iterations.  Most versions offered little new, and expected us to pay for the same plugins each upgrade.  It was SO INSULTING when version 23 removed surround sound without notice and then expected me to pay again for all of the upgraded I already purchased over the years.  It would seem that the company is only interested in new customers and does not have any sense of responsibility to those who have kept supporting them through the years.  I am curious to see if Pinnacle/Corel is willing to address this issue or if they are simply going to wait until the next upgrade cycle and expect everyone to shell out again to get something they already paid for in the past.

On a side note, I was a die hard Word Perfect / Corel Office user for a LONG time until similar customer disregard forced me to move to MS.  To be honest, I still really miss Word Perfect, but can not see ever going back.

•  08-06-2020, 9:46 802306 in reply to 802290

Stephen C.:

then expected me to pay again for all of the upgraded I already purchased over the years.  It would seem that the company is only interested in new customers and does not have any sense of responsibility to those who have kept supporting them through the years.  I am curious to see if Pinnacle/Corel is willing to address this issue or if they are simply going to wait until the next upgrade cycle and expect everyone to shell out again to get something they already paid for in the past.

What did you pay for in the past that you would have to pay for now?

•  08-13-2020, 11:12 802735 in reply to 802306

Most recently, the blu-ray plugin.  In the past I went from an ultimate version and upgraded to the basic version assuming that because I had already purchased various plugins I did not have to purchase them again.  The basic version deactivated all of the plugins that previously worked.
  •  08-13-2020, 11:14 802736 in reply to 802286

I noticed this morning that Studio 24 has been released and there is still no mention of 5.1.  Is the one year release cycle something that is going to be standard going forward?
  •  08-13-2020, 11:32 802737 in reply to 802736

Attachment: PS24 5_1.jpg

There appears to be 5.1 in PS24 Ultimate along with exporting as such.

I have no way to test since I don't do surround sound, but here is the screenshot of what is there in PS24Ultimate.

@Stephen C, PS plugins are keyed for the Ultimate versions only. You paid for the plugins in the version you bought and that is what they are licensed for. 

As for Bluray (again something I do not do), you should have been able to Restore the purchase. But again, it's only for the Ultimate version.

•  08-14-2020, 9:21 802802 in reply to 802736

As Tony described there are the settings for export 5.1 surround sound (PCM not Dolby Digital).

I managed to export a 5.1 BD image, but unfortunately the result doesn't play neither with Power DVD nor with VLC. Even my LG BD-Player refuses to play the disc.

•  08-15-2020, 5:20 802877 in reply to 802802

Terrible experience. I was thinking about buying the PS 24, but my camcorder does 5.1, it certainly brings benefits and if PS 24 cannot process it, no way to buy. 

With my older PS, I already fight with The Panner, which cripples the 5.1 sound when using the default settings (automatically selected after inserting a new clip) - "Center channel Off", LTE at 0, panning between front left and right. Each newly inserted clip gets these settings, i.e. is crippled. 

The documentation only contains obvious things, but the details about how to set  The Panner so that is directly copies the source audio is nowhere mentioned. I expect the 1:1 settings could be "5.1", panner in the middle, LTE to 0.5. Does anybody know of sure? 

And does anybody know how to make these 1:1 settings the default ones? 

PS: I am playing with the VEGAS Movie studio demo and it shows all 5+1 channels separately, so I can mix them totally at my will. I asked PS vendor about 10 year ago to include the real 5.1 editor, but they are unable to implement it until now.....

•  08-18-2020, 16:05 803099 in reply to 802877

I just installed the Trial version (does not mention of which PS version). Really a great commercial for the developers .

I confirm that the 5.1 sound is not supported, I was able to import the clips from the Sony handycam, but their sound was ignored. No sound played, no waveforms or spectral analysis shown. 

If I maximize the PS app window on my secondary monitor, part of the window disappears somewhere outside the boundaries of the monitor (including the essential controls). 

There is no option to export any 5.1 sound. The performance of this version is so slow that even starting the preview playback takes a minute. Then, the preview cannot be enlarged to full screen.

There is no more the Effects editor that takes the clip off the timeline for editing like a pro. Forget about editing such a clip in a Solo mode (not disturbed by any other tracks). Forget about that the preview playback stopped when you reach the end of the clip you are editing.

And at last, the trail version stopped working about about 30 minutes of testing, claiming that my trial period is expired .

All in all, no chance to buy this .... But I need to say that I installed trials of a few more competitors and they are the same ... Fortunately, there are the old good times and PS 18 still works on my old laptop, can do everything what is needed and much more.

Why are so many apps and other things getting worse with every new version? Couldn't the companies hire at least one smart person to stop this trend?

Edited by saby : I had to remove your offensive words. Please, watch your words ! Hmm

•  08-18-2020, 16:13 803101 in reply to 803099

The Trial version? No, you need Pinnacle Studio 24 which is different. Don't they still have the 30 money back guarantee?
  •  08-18-2020, 16:15 803102 in reply to 803099

bigtomas:

I just installed the Trial version (does not mention of which PS version).

It's based on PS23, AFAIK, so no 5.1.

•  08-18-2020, 16:16 803103 in reply to 803101

plattyaj:
    Don't they still have the 30 money back guarantee?

If you purchase at Corel e-Store, the 30 days money back guarantee is available.

•  08-20-2020, 2:40 803156 in reply to 803103

There is more support on this webpage than at the Pinnacle Systems support .

I guess the Panner did  not change in the past 5 years much. Does anybody know how it really works?

The documentation only contains obvious things, but the details about how to set  The Panner so that is directly copies the source audio (no distortion) is nowhere mentioned. I expect the 1:1 settings could be "5.1", panner in the middle, LTE to 0.5. Does anybody know of sure? 

And does anybody know how to make these 1:1 settings the default ones?  

•  08-24-2020, 13:42 803390 in reply to 802736

It's certainly available in PSU 24: 

•  09-08-2020, 12:47 805061 in reply to 803390

The Pinnacle/Corel really has no support at all. I bought the PS24 Ultimate, I contacted on the webpage what presents itself as a support and instead of getting a support, I am harassed by poor intelligence people with Indian sounding nicknames. The posted question is

"How to set The Panner so that what comes in, also comes out? If I do LTE = 1, the low frequencies are exaggerated, if LTE = 0, they seem to be erased. As of the rest of the 5 channels, where to put the blue button of The Panner so that there is no spatial distortion as to which channel plays in compare with the source? Right in the middle? In the top middle?
    Simply how to configure the rendering of 5.1 to be 1 to 1 source to final rendering?

Can this setting be set a default? If not, can I edit the XML project file so that all clips get this setting? (this is what I used to do in some old version, but it is kind of a wild solution)."

The the reply I am getting?

"You can access 5.1 panner by clicking the audio mixer tool, available just above the timeline then he needs to place an audio clip on timeline and then he can open 5.1 Panner by clicking the 5.1/stereo Panner button "

Seriously, no joking. In my question, I clearly state that I am working with The Panner and corel dares to reply how I could access The Panner like if I seem to have never seen it before... 
    So I asked for another "support" person, I was promised to be taken to the second level support (which would hopefully be at least a basic support). And you know? The reply I got was a link to the useless official manual (The Panner page), which only lists the controls but there is no clue how they really work......

•  09-08-2020, 14:27 805072 in reply to 805061

We're sorry for the negative experience you've had with our Customer Support.  We are discussing with CS manager and agents, so that future responses may be more appropriate and informative.  

Your question was beyond the scope of what we expect of our agents in general, but certainly you should have been directed to these forums, where the PS experts are.  

We've not had this inquiry before, or at least, not often.  Possibly years back after introduction of the feature, we heard some inquiries along these lines.  The Panner tool wasn't really designed to track values from the source, to match and display them.  The design was more to transform existing 2-channel audio to be edited and then exported as 5.1.  This is how I recall it, and the Help text, not changed greatly since that time, supports this recollection. 

I have posted your inquiry as a bug, to see what we can do about supporting it in an upcoming patch.   
  •  09-10-2020, 9:51 805208 in reply to 805072

Well, since your reply (glus) is so professional and with the hope of finding a viable solution, 

I dare to post here another 2 bugs unrelated to 5.1 sound, please try to push them for a future patch for PS24U.

Since the standalone Effect editor is gone, I seek a way how to edit and preview an individual clip in the current "Effects Editor" with a Solo button. I reported to Corel support that the Solo button (top left of the Timeline) has a bug, it plays the currently focused Video track, but also play ALL audio tracks, no Solo. The reply I got from the "support" with indian sounding nicknames was a screenshot with marked Solo button, they ignored the bugreport completely.

Please report this to RnD to have this fixed.

Then if I want to play/preview only the selected clip, I use the Loop button, but - test yourself, how oddly it behaves. Nowhere near the old good <space>, the clip is played till its end. Another <space> again the same. The loop button checks off after pressing the <space>, so preview of a smaller subsection of a clip means that the next <space> will play the whole Timeline till the end instead of just the individual clip.

And in the "effects editor", audio, Effect tab, there is no waveform - another bug. Please put it back. 

And the Audio controls at the left side of the Timeline cannot be control by a mouse wheel like in the old times. Please put it back. 

•  09-18-2020, 16:18 805533 in reply to 805208

I just noticed that all my support ticket at Corel were closed by the "support" team without being addressed at all. The employees at the "support" department are simple not intelligent enough to handle such complex issues like Pinnacle Studio....

So no definitive answer on the 5.1 handling and export yet. 

I am trying to reopen them or create them again.

•  09-18-2020, 16:43 805534 in reply to 805533

It really sounds like 5.1 in PSU is an afterthought.  It sounds like you want it to work, but can't figure out how.  It's not really documented, and seems to be provided either as a convenience, or back by popular demand.  I'm not sure that complaining will make it less of an afterthought in PSU.  How important is 5.1 to you ?  If it's a must-have, it sounds like you have a solution already - another editor.  Why not use that for 5.1 processing.

When I edit photos, there is no ONE editor that does it all.  I end up utilizing about 5 different image editors.  Sometimes more.

It really sounds to me like you'd do well to come to grips with just that - it's an afterthought, instead of downplaying Pinnacle support.  They do their best with what they have, but this feature, again - afterthought.

Why not fiddle around with it, learn & document as much as you can, and post back here?  You'd be assisting the community greatly, possibly Pinnacle, too. 

•  09-18-2020, 17:16 805535 in reply to 805533

bigtomas:

The employees at the "support" department are simple not intelligent enough to handle such complex issues like Pinnacle Studio....

It's ironic that your post calls people "not intelligent" when you cannot spell the word "simply" or at least check your post for typing errors. These employees may be poorly trained, but it's an insult to imply that they are stupid.

I'd be happy to see you clarify your post :-)

•  09-18-2020, 17:26 805536 in reply to 805535

@ bigtomas

It's the second time you post offensive words. There won't be a 3rd time ! Hmm

Based on the rules of this forum, you should already have been set to moderate status. I did not do it yet just because you got an unsatisfactory answer by an employee of Corel to your issue and I don't want to let people think that you've been set to moderate status because you would be a pebble in their shoes.

•  18 hours, 14 minutes ago 805670 in reply to 805536

Saby, I am sorry, but what you find offensive? That I imply that the "support" is poorly intelligent? This is a simple TRUE, written proofs are in my mailbox. If the truth is offensive, then not only I should be set to moderate (whatever it means), but deleted completely, because my upmost principle is to communicate the truth and truth only. So I cannot lie and pretend that the "support" people are intelligent when they are truthfully not. And they continue being like this, forwarding my to this thread that here is the full answer, while it is not. I still have no clue how to set The Panner so that the Sony Handycam 5.1 sound is not distorted, no clue how to edit the solo clip, no clue how to preview the sound waveform in the effect editor.

I came to this forum after the "support" has proven worth negative, because I gained nothing and wasted time worth a lot of money - I am a professional tester and I am doing all this for Corel for FREE!

Believe me, if I ever do such a bad job as the Corel "support", I would be fired right away and left with a negligible chance for any future project. If it offensive for you that poorly intelligent people are fired? Well, I am greatly offended by what I keep reading from the "support". 

•  13 hours, 3 minutes ago 805685 in reply to 805670

So just because I sincerely believe that someone that I almost know nothing about is stupid would allow to me to publicly state that he is poorly intelligent ?

Definitely not. In my country it's even against the law and it's called defamation.

Seems that other people share my opinion and think it's even insulting :

jjn:
    bigtomas:

The employees at the "support" department are simple not intelligent enough to handle such complex issues like Pinnacle Studio....

It's ironic that your post calls people "not intelligent" when you cannot spell the word "simply" or at least check your post for typing errors. These employees may be poorly trained, but it's an insult to imply that they are stupid.

You reached your "3rd time" today.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy