Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

need new computer

Last post 07-16-2020, 9:27 by Tony P. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-08-2020, 0:46 801537

need new computer

I have used Studio since 2002....upgrading every few years.  I recently upgraded from Studio ultimate 19 to 23.  My computer works fine for 19 but does NOT like 23 at all.  I would like to get something in the near future but honestly can't spend $1,000 on a computer.  I am not a computer geek and don't understand all the ddr....blah blah, and video cards...etc...what you need to know to "build" something.  I used to have a friend that knew all that and could it for me but he is no longer available due to health issues.  I would really like to be able to just buy a "package" computer already together that would allow me to use the program.  Can someone give me some advice of what I need to look for.  I currently have an HP with an Intel core i3.-61oo cpu@2.30GHz, 2304 Mhz, 2 cores, 4 logical processors.  ( I only know this because I looked it up....LOL)  
  •  07-08-2020, 1:05 801538 in reply to 801537

Re:need new computer

What kind of footage are you used to edit ?
  •  07-08-2020, 1:15 801539 in reply to 801537

Re: need new computer

heartlady856:
    I have used Studio since 2002....upgrading every few years.  I recently upgraded from Studio ultimate 19 to 23.  My computer works fine for 19 but does NOT like 23 at all.  I would like to get something in the near future but honestly can't spend $1,000 on a computer.  I am not a computer geek and don't understand all the ddr....blah blah, and video cards...etc...what you need to know to "build" something.  I used to have a friend that knew all that and could it for me but he is no longer available due to health issues.  I would really like to be able to just buy a "package" computer already together that would allow me to use the program.  Can someone give me some advice of what I need to look for.  I currently have an HP with an Intel core i3.-61oo cpu@2.30GHz, 2304 Mhz, 2 cores, 4 logical processors.  ( I only know this because I looked it up....LOL)  

If you buy a computer already built you will just get what it's installed and maybe you won't be able to upgrade it. You can build your own computer and buy the parts you may need little by little. There is a person on youtube who builds computers and explains all the process from beginning to end. His name is Carey Holzman and you can check his youtube channel and he has several computer builds that maybe one of them may meet your budget and lists all the parts he used including the prices.

https://www.youtube.com/c/CareyHolzman/videos 

•  07-08-2020, 6:17 801543 in reply to 801539

While building a computer isn't hard, it's much easier when you have someone with you that knows how. To make sure all the connections are right. The you put the CPU in correctly, etc...

I've built hundreds of computers over the many years. Business specific, etc... along with doing the servers and networking (including running cables) them. It's therapeutic for me.

As Saby said, what types of video are you going to edit. Is it 4K? 1080HD? And of course, how much are you willing to spent for a pre-built. 

•  07-16-2020, 0:52 801773 in reply to 801543

The videos are 1080.  My camera will do 4k but due to available space and it taking so long to do anything with...I haven't shot in it.  I just don't even know what to look for.  The videos are basically from our church services.  I shoot on 2 cameras....one main shot and one for a wide backup shot in case the preacher walks out of shot or to just add a little variety of shot. The laptop I have works fine with version 19.....I upgraded to 23 and can't really use it at all with the very same footage. 
  •  07-16-2020, 4:23 801775 in reply to 801773

Any middle-range modern computer should be able to edit 1080 footage.
  •  07-16-2020, 9:27 801780 in reply to 801775

...but if you intend to start editing 4K, you will need a better computer.

Lots of info out there about processors, graphic cards, etc.... 

See my computer spec below? I kept the old RX480 because it works well with PS with exporting and gives me zero problems. For multi-threaded applications, such as content creation, rendering, 3D modeling AMD is the winner. Gaming, it's close.

You can read about the CPU comparisons HERE.

Also consider getting at least 16GB of RAM on 2 sticks of 8GB each.  

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy