Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

FFwd playback causes scrubber to jump back on timeline.

Last post 07-07-2020, 17:56 by Robo7050. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-30-2020, 16:42 801275

FFwd playback causes scrubber to jump back on timeline.

Hello all, firstly I'm very new to the forum, and quite new to Pinnacle. I'm currently using PS 22 ultimate, and I'm a fair way into a movie edit that has various assets in the timeline. A problem has occurred, seemingly all of a sudden. When I try to fast forward the clip I am currently editing, i.e set the playback speed to 2X,4X etc, the scrubber on the time-line jumps back to an exact same point, some 1 minute 48 seconds into my movie. This does not happen on the preview screen when watching the source. Thinking the program had developed a glitch, I re-set it, but the issue remains. I have looked but cannot see any visual markers to indicate that I have set a tag of some sort, and even if I had, why would it be linked to FFwd playback. My mind is boggled. I would be most grateful for any advise that can point me in a direction to look for a solution. Cheers.
  •  06-30-2020, 16:54 801276 in reply to 801275

Re:FFwd playback causes scrubber to jump back on timeline.

Hi and welcome to this forum.

Would you tell us how do you set the playback speed to 2X, 4X, etc  ?

•  06-30-2020, 19:04 801277 in reply to 801276

Re: Re:FFwd playback causes scrubber to jump back on timeline.

I have experienced the timeline jumpback issue in previous versions when PS is background rendering.  I am not aware of the playback speed being a toggle/enable of the issue.  If I wait for the background render to complete, it normally goes away.
  •  07-01-2020, 14:28 801293 in reply to 801276

I set the speed using the drop-down list control at the bottom of the preview window, 2X, 4X, 8X, or I click on the speed bar to the left of the drop list. I have since discovered that I can use shift-X keys and this works fine.

Incidentally, I have noted an error in my previous post. I stated that the jump back is to the exact same point 01:48 minutes. It is actually 11:49 minutes. Why I think this is worth mentioning is that; this is the exact duration of the majority of the raw asset files I am using to make my movie. Most of my original files are 11:49.05 in duration. Hopefully this means something ?? 

•  07-01-2020, 15:07 801294 in reply to 801277

Hi Acsscott, I have noted that the issue is not resolved by completion of a rendering task, it occurs regardless. Any other thoughts ?
  •  07-01-2020, 16:30 801302 in reply to 801294

I just tried it with a couple of clips on the timeline. It played back as it should with the playhead cursor not jumping back to any previous position.

How about filling out your user profile to include your complete computer specs?

•  07-02-2020, 12:21 801323 in reply to 801294

Robo7050:
    Hi Acsscott, I have noted that the issue is not resolved by completion of a rendering task, it occurs regardless. Any other thoughts ?

Can you close PS and then open it again?

If PS will not restart, is BG Render task running in task manager?  If so, end this task, then restart PS. 

If PS restarts, does the cursor still jump back to the same location? 

•  07-03-2020, 16:28 801354 in reply to 801302

Hi Tony, and thanks for the input. I must admit, I am currently, a little apprehensive about offering up such information on a public forum. However, I did check the required system specifications prior to purchase of the PS software. Also, because PS was working perfectly fine every day for about two weeks prior to the emergence of this issue, and because the issue itself appeared suddenly during a 1 hour editing session, I am not entirely convinced that the problem is caused by my operating system. Also, FFwd playback is unaffected, when viewing the source file or when advancing 10x frames using 'shift-x' on the time-line. I am actually creating a time-laps movie from normal video. By using the time remapping function, quite a number of my assets are reduced from 11:49 minutes down to 00:14, yet once rendered, the playback is perfectly fine. This leads me to believe that my computer specs; graphics, emulators, chip-set and what have you... are sufficient for the task.
  •  07-03-2020, 16:31 801355 in reply to 801323

I have closed and restarted PS numerous times, and I have reset the program to its newly installed state. Unfortunately, neither of these actions have yielded a solution.
  •  07-03-2020, 16:31 801356 in reply to 801354

Robo7050:
    Hi Tony, and thanks for the input. I must admit, I am currently, a little apprehensive about offering up such information on a public forum.

What do you think anybody could do bad with such infos ?

•  07-03-2020, 16:42 801357 in reply to 801356

That's just it!, I don't know. I'm not proficiently versed to be able to make a judgement, so I'd rather ere on the side of caution... 
  •  07-03-2020, 16:51 801358 in reply to 801357

Answer : absolutely nothing except having useful informations to maybe find a solution to your issue.

Nobody can know who you are. Nobody can identify you.

It's like asking you what is the brand and model of your TV or washing machine or lawn mower ... We are just asking informations on the hardware and OS of a machine. Not your IP address. There might be thousands and thousands of people on the planet with the same configuration.

Some here, like Tony, permanently display these infos in their signature. Click on my username and you'll see that I display publicly my configuration. Tony has been a member of this forum for 13 years and nothing ever happened to him because of his signature.

100% safe.

•  07-07-2020, 17:56 801533 in reply to 801358

Hi Saby, I have an update and resolution for this issue. I have continued to fiddle, dibble, and dabble since our last communication, and have inadvertently stumbled across a fix. A little light bulb ignited in my head regarding motion tracking ! I remembered that; around the time the issue emerged, I had attempted to use motion tracking to follow a moving object in my video footage without really knowing what I was doing. It was unsuccessful, and I remember simply closing the edit window that was in view. The motion tracking feature of PS was the only area I had not revisited for a solution to the jump back issue, so I set the scrubber at 11:49.05 on the timeline, (this being the point to which the jump back defaulted) and opened up the motion tracking window again. I did not see any obvious markers etc on screen, as I thought I might, so I simply closed it down again. (x in the top right hand corner) When I returned to the timeline, I clicked play to continue my edit, not realising that I still had the play speed set to 2X, and hey presto, the video played with no jump back. I have tested it now at 2X, 4X, and 8X at various locations on the timeline, and it is all good. The jump back issue is resolved.

I can't begin to understand what has happened, but maybe the above explanation of my actions will give you some insight as to what caused the issue to begin with, if so, I would be grateful for any feedback you may have.

May I take this opportunity to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Cheers. 

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy