Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Dual Layer DVD

Last post 06-20-2020, 5:28 by saby. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-14-2020, 18:23 800729

Dual Layer DVD

I want to create a DVD on a Dual Layer disc.  When I go into export, Pinnacle is displaying Device (DVD+R DL 8.5 GB) which is what I want to use, but I can't select it.  Underneath that is (D:)PLDS DVD+-RW DU-8A5LHS6D1M.  I was using a RW disc with 4.7 GB capacity giving me a 77% quality DVD, but now I'm ready for a final version at 100% on my dual layer.  I'm on Windows 10.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
  •  06-15-2020, 0:45 800736 in reply to 800729

Re:Dual Layer DVD

What if you select (D:)PLDS DVD+-RW DU-8A5LHS6D1M ?

•  06-15-2020, 21:19 800774 in reply to 800736

Re: Re:Dual Layer DVD

Thanks for the reply.  That helped me figure it out.  I went back in and noticed something I had never noticed before - there is a "Target Size" drop down and I was able to select the 8.5GB DVD DL option.  I don't quite understand why that would even be a setting if a Dual Layer was in the drive, but it now shows I have 100% quality and a used size of 1.42 hour, which is what I have.
  •  06-17-2020, 22:50 800882 in reply to 800774

Please ignore this.

•  06-17-2020, 22:56 800883 in reply to 800774

Well, I was a little hasty in saying I figured it out.  I was able to generate the DVD, but my Sony player would not play it.  I did verify in the player manual that DVD-R DL discs are supported, so I'm still missing something somewhere creating the disc.

Looking at the disc I see a VIDEO_TS folder with various files with BUP, IFO, and VOB file extensions, which I have no idea what they are.

The video option I have always had set is "auto detect", but I see there are a number of other options I could choose: 4 PAL and 4 NTSC options, 2 standard and 2 widescreen options each. (My video came from a VHS 4.3 ratio).

The Image Format option is set to Folder (VIDEO_TS) which is what I got or ISO File which seems more like a system OS format.

My Format setting is DVD.  But I see AVCHD options, which seem like camcorder settings. 

One thing I noticed when my Export was completed was that although I got the export completed message, it did not eject the disc like it normally does.  I read somewhere that when DVDs fail to play sometimes they aren't "finalized" properly.  I wonder if something at the end of my export caused a problem that was not displayed and prevented the DVD from being playable and did not eject the DVD.

Any ideas from anyone would be appreciated.

•  06-18-2020, 1:44 800886 in reply to 800883

Rickster:

Looking at the disc I see a VIDEO_TS folder with various files with BUP, IFO, and VOB file extensions, which I have no idea what they are.

That's the structure of a Video DVD.
  •  06-18-2020, 7:34 800904 in reply to 800883

Rickster:
    I read somewhere that when DVDs fail to play sometimes they aren't "finalized" properly.  I wonder if something at the end of my export caused a problem that was not displayed and prevented the DVD from being playable and did not eject the DVD.

Definitely, the datas were correctly written, but the lead-out failed to be written. 

https://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/term.cfm/lead-out

•  06-18-2020, 14:29 800913 in reply to 800904

So I just tried another burn.  I left Studio running for quite awhile after I saw the Export Completed message before I clicked OK.  Four hours in total for a movie that is 1 hour and 24 minutes long.  The disc never ejected on its own (and I did have the option to do so checked).  The disc cannot be played.

Is there ANYONE out there who has EVER created a dual layer DVD using Pinnacle Studio 22?  Any Studio developers ever get on these forums?  Has anyone ever tried it?

•  06-18-2020, 15:38 800918 in reply to 800913

Rickster:

Is there ANYONE out there who has EVER created a dual layer DVD using Pinnacle Studio 22? 

I don't now. That's not something people are used to advertise. People come here to say what went wrong, not what went right.

Rickster:

Any Studio developers ever get on these forums?

No. But even if they do, PS22 developement being now closed since last year, I doubt they would have look at your problem.

Do you want a workaround ?

•  06-18-2020, 16:20 800920 in reply to 800918

The options I know of are just do the burn at the 77% quality (which I will try just to see how it looks) or just break my movie into a part 1 and a part 2 and use 2 DVDs.  But I'm willing to try any suggestions you have.  Thanks.
  •  06-18-2020, 16:50 800921 in reply to 800920

Export an image of the DVD :

•  06-18-2020, 16:52 800922 in reply to 800921

Then use an external tool to burn it.

Either the burning software delivered with your burner or ImgBurn which is a free tool : https://www.imgburn.com/

•  06-18-2020, 17:53 800925 in reply to 800883

Rickster:
    The video option I have always had set is "auto detect", but I see there are a number of other options I could choose: 4 PAL and 4 NTSC options, 2 standard and 2 widescreen options each. (My video came from a VHS 4.3 ratio).

If you are in the USA - your 4:3 aspect ratio DVD should be created as "NTSC Standard" (4:3, 29.97fps); some DVD players (espeecially older/cheaper ones) will reject discs of other standards (e.g. PAL (25fps)). If you find that the disc plays OK in computers, but not in that set-top player - that could well be what has happened...

Provided that Studio's timeline setting is correct (click the gear-wheel icon above the timeline to check), the exporter's "Auto detect" should get things right. But if the project's settings are set automatically by the first clip added, Studio can be fooled if the first thing added to the project wasn't a video clip - and may have chosen a PAL (25fps) setting... If that has happened, correct the project timeline settings, save the project and try exporting again.

Tip: Create a disc image instead of burning directly to disc immediately - you can check that the image plays OK and the chapter navigation etc. is all "as you want it" using media player software such as VLC Player before burning to disc (either using Studio's exporter (choose "burn image") or use external (third-party) disc burning software.

HTH
    Richard

•  06-18-2020, 21:15 800927 in reply to 800925

I did the Create Image and was able to get VLC to play it.  Looks like it worked.  I then did the "Burn Image".  I've never done that before and wasn't sure what files to give it.  I thought I gave it the same files I gave to VLC, which were all the files in the VIDEO_TS folder.  There was a message displayed that said "These files will be burned as a data disc", which didn't sound like what I wanted but I went ahead any with the burn, which then failed to play on my DVD player.  No surprise.  Was I supposed to use something else as the input to the burn image process?
  •  06-18-2020, 22:35 800928 in reply to 800922

Saby - I'm not used to burning from an image created.  When I create the image, unless I'm missing something, I don't see one file to send to a burner.  I see about a dozen files in the Video_TS directory.  I tried to send them all to Pinnacle and it just created a data disc.

The link you sent me goes to Wondershare.  Is that what you intended?  I downloaded something called Wondershare DVD Creator.  I gave it my Video_TS files then it wanted me to do a menu.  It seemed like it was wanting to create a new DVD.  So I just quit it because I didn't know how to proceed.

•  06-19-2020, 1:26 800931 in reply to 800928

Rickster:

The link you sent me goes to Wondershare.  Is that what you intended? 

No. The link goes to this page :

•  06-19-2020, 1:33 800932 in reply to 800928

Rickster:

Saby - I'm not used to burning from an image created.  When I create the image, unless I'm missing something, I don't see one file to send to a burner.  I see about a dozen files in the Video_TS directory.  I tried to send them all to Pinnacle and it just created a data disc.

Select Disc image (Folder) in From.

Then browse to the VIDEO_TS folder that was created during the export :

•  06-19-2020, 7:41 800945 in reply to 800913

Rickster:

So I just tried another burn.  I left Studio running for quite awhile after I saw the Export Completed message before I clicked OK.  Four hours in total for a movie that is 1 hour and 24 minutes long.  The disc never ejected on its own (and I did have the option to do so checked).  The disc cannot be played.

Is there ANYONE out there who has EVER created a dual layer DVD using Pinnacle Studio 22?  Any Studio developers ever get on these forums?  Has anyone ever tried it?

Have you tried updating the firmware in your burner drive? 

•  06-19-2020, 9:13 800948 in reply to 800945

The drive is in my Dell Inspiron tower and I have applied all updates to all of the system software as they become available, so nothing I can do there that I know of.  But thanks for the suggestion.
  •  06-19-2020, 10:16 800951 in reply to 800948

I'm sure there is a firmware update for the burner.  Might help you.
  •  06-19-2020, 11:25 800954 in reply to 800932

Well, a mixed bag here.  I thought you had the piece I had been missing, which was I had not selected the Disc Image (Folder) option, I had let it default to the Files and Folders option since I did have files and folders.  (Showing my ignorance there.) 

I got the message that the folder would be burned as a video disc.  Great.  So I did another burn with 99% confidence it would work. Unfortunately, it did not.  My PC is able to play it, so the disc is good.  But my Sony Blu-Ray still does not play it.  That points to the player being the problem.  But the frustration is the manual for it lists on its Playable Discs page DVD+RDL and DVD-R DL.

Maybe it's the menu I thought.  So I removed my menus and did another burn but I have the same problem.   I did a burn to a regular DVD with 70% quality and I can tell the difference. I'd really like to get this to work.  I know I could do 2 discs but this is for a family event I wanted to make multiple copies of.

My next plan is to create 3, 30 minute avi files, put them on my iMac, bring them into Premiere Elements, add the menus back in, and see if I can get a DL disc to work that way.

Unless you have something else I can look at that might point to why my PC can play the DL but not my Blu-Ray.

But sincere thanks for your suggestions.

•  06-19-2020, 11:26 800955 in reply to 800951

I went to the Dell site.  There are 2 updates being made, but they don't sound like they apply to my problem but we'll see.  One is an Ethernet controller and one a 3670 System BIOS.   Thanks for the suggestion.
  •  06-19-2020, 11:39 800956 in reply to 800954

Rickster:

Unless you have something else I can look at that might point to why my PC can play the DL but not my Blu-Ray.

I repeat : try ImgBurn.

•  06-19-2020, 11:53 800959 in reply to 800956

After you try imgburn.....  make sure the read write side of your disc is silver, not purple or blue.  A lot of players have problems with non-silver media.  
  •  06-19-2020, 17:27 800980 in reply to 800956

I finally got to the correct site for imgburn.  (The first time there was an imgburn ad that took me to the wrong site.)

However, I got to the correct site and it matched your screen shot.  Then I went to the download tab.  I tried to download from 2 different mirrors.  In both cases, my McAfee software stopped them because of a suspected virus.  I hesitated to stop the McAfee to let the download go.

But I tried another mirror and that one worked.  I downloaded the software and found some very good detailed documentation on how to create a DL DVD.  Got to 33% completed and then got an I/O error.  I might try it one more time but I'm ready to give up.  I've lost count of how many DVDs I've had to throw away.

In the meantime, I had a 2 hour movie on my iMac using Premiere Elements I never burned yet, (I started it before I got my Dell and Pinnacle) so I went over there and it burned on a DL DVD and it played with no problems on my Blu-Ray player.  So, I think I will just cut my losses, create 2 or 3 avi files of my current project, move them to my iMac, redo the menu and burn from there. 

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 (28 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy