Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

We encountered a problem when installing - everything (Studio 23)

Last post 08-12-2020, 10:00 by Timeless Moments. 18 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-05-2020, 8:47 800332

We encountered a problem when installing - everything (Studio 23)

Studio 23 was working fine until I attempted to add an effect to an audio file, at which point it crashed. I tried many times and still it crashed. So I decided to run the repair. I got the message we encountered a problem. So I decided to uninstall and got the same message.

In the end I uninstalled everything manually including any trace of Studio 23 in the registry. Reinstalled and get the same message. I tried this from the download and from the CD they sent me.

So now I cannot use the program at all.

Any ideas? 

•  06-05-2020, 11:12 800336 in reply to 800332

Re: We encountered a problem when installing - everything (Studio 23)

I checked again and found another 6000 entries in the registry using regscanner, I removed everything, there is now no trace of Studio on my machine as far as i can see and it still will not install.

•  06-05-2020, 17:17 800343 in reply to 800336

I've used Revo Uninstaller Pro for a long time, with Ccleaner Registry cleaner. With Revo, if there was something left over, but still "there", I could force an uninstall, use Advanced for reg and folder hunting, then Ccleaner registry to catch any leftover strays.

There is a free version of Revo you can get HERE

•  06-05-2020, 19:03 800346 in reply to 800343

If the Settings and Library are still there, that could be the root of the problems. An uninstall does not remove them. To do so manually:

http://pinnaclestudioinfo.dtvpro.co.uk/resetting-studio

•  06-05-2020, 20:42 800347 in reply to 800346

Thanks guys, I already went through both of those stages. I literally wiped all trace of Studio 23 off the machine, even tried installing it on 3 different drives and on another account from the disc and the download. I even reinstalled Visual C ++ libraries in case they were corrupted, but the problem remains, never seen a product that cannot be uninstalled, reinstalled, repaired or removed before, bizarre indeed.

I contacted Pinnacle today and told them and to their credit they gave me a full refund within an hour of my email to them.

I still have S19 but that's my last Pinnacle product. For 15 years I've been using this bug ridden mess, and when it works it's fine, good even, but if I had a pound for every time it crashed on all the different systems I use I'd be a wealthy man. I have five other PCs in my company that are all still running S12.1 for video capturing and simple rendering, they run on XP and W7 and are isolated from the internet, they never crash and I still think S12.1 is the most stable of all the copies I've used going back to S9.

Today I downloaded a trial version of Vegas 17 Pro, it looks very good and there's a half price deal on until the 10th, still it's a lot of money compared to S23 but it works without the regular crashes. So I guess I'm done with Studio other than the old PCs, no need to change them, they work, after 15 years it's time for a change.

Thanks again for all your help over the years.

This is Matt, signing off. 

•  06-06-2020, 2:59 800349 in reply to 800347

Thanks for reporting back Matt

I've seen your posts and tried to help you on occasions. Your currrent problem is a strange one that makes no sense to me - three different machines - wow.

Just allow me a couple of questions - Were any of these install attempts on a machine with a fresh OS install? You haven't got the latest Windows 2002 update on the the computeres you tried to re-install on? (I've been seeing odd behaviour on two laptops since I put it on them. One will run Studio briefly then give a BSOD. The other does tha same when I try to start a Zoom meeting - still trobleshooting).

Anyway, good luck with Vegas. I believe it's owned by Magix now and in the past their support has been very good. Never actually liked the program in the past but each to their own. You are running a business and I'm not.

•  06-06-2020, 6:00 800356 in reply to 800349

Hi JJN

To be clear I meant three drives on the same machine, not three different PCs.

2002 update? No this machine is on Windows 10 Professional 64 bit. No issues with the PC other than this problem. I suspect there is a corrupt library somewhere but it's not identified as belonging to the S23 install so can't be found. If that's the case then it's pretty sloppy programming. Wierd thing is the PC never crashed, just the program, so I have no idea what could have corrupted the library if that's what it is. It's not a fresh OS install, the machine is 4 years old, still way more than capable, when I bought it I specced it to last me 10 years, GTX1080, Skylake 4.0Ghz, 32GB DDR4 3MHz Ram, M2. drive, liquid cooling etc, still 87th percentile on the passmark tests. Vegas installed first time and I'm testing it now, seems similar to S23 in approach, although every option has a *** ton of drop down menus with it, seems way more comprehensive than Studio, so much stuff on there I will never use, but all I care about is stability and getting the job done.

Thanks for sticking with this product JJN, you really have been one of the most helpful people I've ever met on any forum and love that you're so dedicated to the product, Corel should put you on the payroll!

Cheers 

•  06-06-2020, 6:11 800357 in reply to 800356

Timeless Moments:

2002 update? No this machine is on Windows 10 Professional 64 bit.

My Mistake, I should have put 2004. Don't you have updates enabled? 2002 2004 is the version number of the latest Windows 10 update (including Pro) that is being rolled out as we speak.

•  06-06-2020, 6:27 800358 in reply to 800357

Oh right, no I have then switched off and install them manually from time to time with a restore point between each, that way if it all goes down the toilet I can restore to the previous config easily. I don't trust MS updates! Checking now.
  •  06-06-2020, 6:33 800359 in reply to 800358

I just updated to version 1909, there are no further updates waiting.
  •  06-06-2020, 8:53 800362 in reply to 800359

Timeless Moments:

I would recommend what jjn told you before. If you have a spare M.2, HDD or SSD remove your old c drive card and install the other card and make a fresh install of W10 to your computer and add all MS updates and just install PS to see if that may work. Make sure you unplug all other HDD when doing so. Once done reconnect the HDD's. You can swap the HDD or m.2's when done

•  06-06-2020, 8:59 800364 in reply to 800362

R_Vera:

Timeless Moments:

I would recommend what jjn told you before. If you have a spare M.2, HDD or SSD remove your old c drive card and install the other card and make a fresh install of W10 to your computer and add all MS updates and just install PS to see if that may work. Make sure you unplug all other HDD when doing so. Once done reconnect the HDD's. You can swap the HDD or m.2's when done

Thanks, but I'm not going to that extent just to get a mid range editor to work, I've dumped it now and will stick with S19 and Vegas. They already gave me the money back so I shouldn't install it anyway as that would mean I'd have to pay for it again lol.

Cheers

Matt 

•  08-12-2020, 5:49 802594 in reply to 800364

Well an update

Using the guide here

https://support.corel.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051201274-Pinnacle-Studio-23-Uninstall-and-Reinstall-Instructions-for-Pinnacle-Studio-23

I got it to work. I followed it all with the exception of making a new admin account.

Decided in the end that I couldn't justify Sony VP when S19 still did all I needed. 

So I guess now I have to pay them for it again, but first I'm going to use it for a while then look at S24.

Thanks again to JJN and TonyP 

•  08-12-2020, 5:59 802595 in reply to 802594

You got PS23 up and running?

•  08-12-2020, 6:19 802599 in reply to 802595

Tony P:

You got PS23 up and running?

I did, and don't ask me the difference between what I did this time and last time, the only thing that looks new to me was the registry remove tool which either wasn't there before or I couldn't find. This time I chose only S23 from the tool and what do you know, it works. Now I am testing out the batch export as this may help my business a lot.

•  08-12-2020, 6:55 802603 in reply to 802599

Good for you!!
  •  08-12-2020, 9:21 802626 in reply to 800358

Timeless Moments:
    Oh right, no I have then switched off and install them manually from time to time with a restore point between each, that way if it all goes down the toilet I can restore to the previous config easily. I don't trust MS updates! Checking now.

A restore point can only be used by the OS it was created with. It cannot be used (or does not exist) after upgrading the OS.  To go back to the old OS you need to have previously created a disc image with a program such as Acronis that can be reinstated if required. 

•  08-12-2020, 9:56 802642 in reply to 802626

David Hunt:

Timeless Moments:

A restore point can only be used by the OS it was created with. It cannot be used (or does not exist) after upgrading the OS.  To go back to the old OS you need to have previously created a disc image with a program such as Acronis that can be reinstated if required. 

Thanks, but I haven't changed the OS, not sure where you got that from :) 

•  08-12-2020, 10:00 802643 in reply to 802642

Oh joy, it all works!

[click to view image] 

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy