Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

"Station ID BUG" (Reference Paul Holtz) does not export properly

Last post 05-22-2020, 17:15 by saby. 21 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-08-2020, 17:05 799080

"Station ID BUG" (Reference Paul Holtz) does not export properly

I'm using PSU 23 Version 23.2.0.290 (64-Bit).  Ever since the last update I have an issue exporting a "Station ID Bug"  (This is what Paul Holtz at Studio Backlot calls them ... I made mine just like his instruction at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDY1-Jo5M8Q

I've used the same Station Bug file with several past versions of PSU as well as 23 until just now. 

What happens when I export my video is I sometimes get, in lieu of the motion station bug, a grey rectangular box with a stationary arrow in a circular path.  This comes and goes, but seems to be associated with transitions between clips and/or transitions in titles (fades etc.).  I can sometimes see the rectangular box and circular arrow while editing, but it goes away after rendering.  I play the video before exporting and do not see anything amiss, but while watching the export process I'll see the malfunction show up and find it is in the finished file version of the export.  All I've done to date is reboot program and reboot computer, but that seems not to "reset" anything.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks 

•  05-09-2020, 3:27 799094 in reply to 799080

Re:"Station ID BUG" (Reference Paul Holtz) does not export properly

This means that PS23 couldn't decode the image.

Try another export format.

•  05-09-2020, 15:54 799139 in reply to 799094

Re: Re:"Station ID BUG" (Reference Paul Holtz) does not export properly

Thanks for fast reply .... I have tried several different export formats ... HD 1080p, Ultra HD (4K), Full size SD (Best Quality) to no avail .... I'm thinking it must be related to the latest software update pushed out  .... latest one was Pinnacle NewBlue Effects 6.1.0 installed 03/03/2020.  what do you think?  can the update be "undone" or "redone" ... would prefer not to uninstall and reinstall PSU23. Thanks again.
  •  05-17-2020, 12:02 799508 in reply to 799139

I've had same problem since update. The video looks great on timeline but on export, regardless of various formats and with re-rendering, segments of video replaced by grey screen with circular arrow. When I export same project with PS 21 no issue at all.
  •  05-17-2020, 13:38 799510 in reply to 799508

A  PSU23 update was pushed out overnight (my time) and I was hoping that might resolve problem (I'm now using Version 23.2.1.297 (64-Bit)) ... it did not.  As a temporary fix, I find that if you use a Title track that extends the full length of your video and place separate "titles" as short layers in the Title track it seems to work about 80-90% of the time.  This works fine for short videos, but looks like unless someone has a fix ... its uninstall and reinstall the software .... Help anyone ??!! ... thanks - stay safe 

•  05-17-2020, 18:54 799524 in reply to 799510

new update did not help me either and I am not convinced re re-install so I'm going to hold a week and see if a new patch comes out. In the meantime, PS21 renders my movies fine. 
  •  05-19-2020, 11:44 799650 in reply to 799524

Do you get this issue when you are exporting just the station ID project for video overlay later, or when you are putting the exported station ID video clip on a track of your project?
  •  05-19-2020, 12:41 799655 in reply to 799650

I Think I understand your question, if not please rephrase it.  

When I export just the station ID bug by itself there seems to be no issues.

When the station ID Bug track is part of a complete video "package of tracks" the issue seems to appear at a transition point between video clips (and sometimes at the transition on a title track - fade-in, etc.).  Note that this is not at every transition point.  If I have a short video made up of, say 5 video clips with a transition between each, the issue might appear once or twice (at a transition trigger point) and only be present for maybe 5-10 frames and then the ID Bug comes back.

The issue does not appear when playing the package during editing.  Going back to editing and removing the transitions and replacing them with different or same transition(s) does not seem to fix the issue.  However, if I leave the transition out and export the package the issue does not appear. 

There is something about exporting the combination of a transition and the bug that triggers this phenomenon.  If I export the video package w/o the Station ID Bug track, the issue does not present itself.  Hope this adds the info you where looking for ... any help is much appropriated. Thanks 

•  05-19-2020, 13:33 799661 in reply to 799655

I was asking how you are adding the station bug to your project. 

A. An exported video clip from the Station Bug project that you just place end to end and repeat on a single track on your current project ?

B. Embedding the Station Bug project on a track on your current projects timeline ?

C. actually performing the steps to create the Station Bug in your current project ?

I would do A. 

•  05-20-2020, 8:47 799714 in reply to 799661

can you upload a small package to the cloud so I can download and see the results on my computer?
  •  05-20-2020, 12:11 799724 in reply to 799714

Tony,  sent you email with link to Dropbox file.  Hope you can access file.  If not, let me know.  If there is way to embed file in forum discussion let me know how to do that and I will.  You can answer in forum of in return email .... forum would help others of course.  Thanks .. stay safe !!
  •  05-20-2020, 12:19 799725 in reply to 799661

acsscott,

I have done both "A" and "C" neither seems resolve the issue.  In the past, I've used a "canned" ID Bug "file" and load it on to its own track and do essentially a "picture in picture" to have it placed in the lower left corner.  And as you indicated, if need to be longer to accommodate my video project length, I'd copy and paste it as needed on the same track - usually putting a "fad- in" transition between the clips.

•  05-20-2020, 14:33 799731 in reply to 799725

I got the file, and see what you are talking about.

Now, how about creating a project file with just the "bug"?

I'll open it on my timeline, add some videos and see what happens.

One other suggestion..... Delete Rendered files (Setup>Control Panel>Storage Locations), and rename your project to something else.

Restart and see what happens.

•  05-20-2020, 17:25 799736 in reply to 799731

Tony, see this folder in my Dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y5jxtx71cwef2qn/AAD14Z7QRWZiJZrpqezVfI-6a?dl=0

you should find several files here to give you a better understanding of issue: 

Raw File I use to make the ID Bug

The "*.Move" file of the ID Bug assembly .... unfortunately I do not  have (or could not find) the development of the "Globe" the text rotates around ... It was developed per the Paul Hotlz instructions mentioned in original posting.  Having said that, I did find a later posting from Paul on his web site discussing a new method of building a Station ID Bug because of issue(s) some where having with the old method (the method I use), but I'm not a paid subscriber and the instruction video was a "teaser trailer" and cut off before he explained the issues.  Not sure if you have access to Paul's instructions. https://studiobacklot.tv/training/create-famous-tv-and-movie-fx/2018-updated-create-3-styles-animated-station-id-bugs-logos   (this is the new instruction, but unless you are a subscriber you get bumped off before you learn anything new). 

The "*.Movie" file of the video .... hopefully this gives you enough to do some forensics on the "whole lot" of files and their compilation .... this has the file of the ID Bug used in the video package, you can see the effects I used to position the bug in the video package

Exported video file after deleting the rendered files and restarting computer as you suggested - no success 

There is also a file of the exported video with different export format - no success 

Let me know you can find these 

Please note that I normally insert a separate Title file on a specific "Title Track" for each video segment of the "production" I wish to title.  But I find that with the issue I'm dealing with a continuous Title file extending the full length of the video package seems to reduce the occurrence of the issue, but obviously not always.  This is a work around I'm using now until I figure out a remedy .... I hate to have to uninstall the program, because of issues with that whole process and it may not be the solution in the end. 

Finally, I have been using this same ID Bug, as you can tell from the file name, since 2018  with several versions of PSU with no issues until about a month ago. 

Happy hunting

•  05-22-2020, 11:59 799817 in reply to 799736

UPDATE.

I was checking the frame rates of the video after I was sent a Pinnacle Package.

The "station bug" was at 25fps, the video it was overlayed on was 30fsp. The timeline was 30P (29.97).

After converting the "station bug" video to 30P with HANDBRAKE and placing the bug clip back on the timeline, the resulting Export played back with no "gray circle" images.

•  05-22-2020, 12:55 799822 in reply to 799817

Good catch Tony....  That will do it every time.
  •  05-22-2020, 13:15 799824 in reply to 799822

Thanks!

I sent him just the 30P "bug". All he has to do is place it on the same timeline and a/v track as the 25P bug and copy over the same fx he's applied to the 25P clip.

I converted the original "bug" clip that was supplied in the package, which doesn't have any effects added to it.

•  05-22-2020, 13:23 799825 in reply to 799817

Bingo !!  I tried the "new" ID BUG at 30fps and developed a short video with as many arduous transitions, fades, etc. and the export seemed flawless.  As usual, Tony, you nailed it !! ... seems that every issue I've posted it comes to your solution.  Great forensics on this one .. not easy.  be safe
  •  05-22-2020, 13:26 799826 in reply to 799508

Azi144 - check solution from Tony at end of thread ... Looks like he nailed !!  the fps rate of all tracks need to be same - makes total sense.
  •  05-22-2020, 13:46 799827 in reply to 799826

Thanks for the kind words.... even a "broken" clock is right twice a day.....

I did spend a lot of time working with this. When I wrote that it worked ok with my videos, it should. They too were PAL 25P. 

Sometimes sleeping on it helps. Big Smile

•  05-22-2020, 17:10 799839 in reply to 799827

Ok.... seems I jumped the gun a bit....

I did use Handbrake to convert the "bug". It was set to 30fps, but (scratching head now) it only exported to 25P (OP got back to me on it). BUT the original bug was MPEG4-Visual. Now it's AVC1 after it went through Handbrake.

IIRC, there were posts on not using MPEG4-Visual as an export setting. If you want MPG4, use H264. 

Saby?

•  05-22-2020, 17:15 799840 in reply to 799839

My point since years : Mpeg4 Visual is not suitable for HD. Nothing else.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy