Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Capture video from Sony Camcorder connected by USB

Last post 05-04-2020, 17:31 by jjn. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-19-2018, 9:49 774719

Capture video from Sony Camcorder connected by USB

Hi. I'm stuck here, can somebody help?

I have installed the Pinnacle Studio Trial to see if this is the right software for me. I want to capture video from a Sony DCR-PC100E camcorder and edit the video. The camera stands in a docking station with these outputs: Analog, Firewire and USB. Since I don't have Firewire input on my laptop, I have to use the USB, but Studio does not recognize the video. Another freeware software, Debut, does recognize the video for capture, but I would rather use Pinnacle Studio, if possible. Isn't USB input possible in Studio?

•  11-19-2018, 9:59 774720 in reply to 774719

Re:Capture video from Sony Camcorder connected by USB

Studio can capture DV footage only via Firewire.
  •  05-04-2020, 17:03 798820 in reply to 774719

Re: Capture video from Sony Camcorder connected by USB

older post but may help someone. Fist the word "capture" is a misnomer for "transfer" or "copy". There is no "capture" (re-recording) of the DV in the process as there is in digitizing analog video or audio. The digital file was recorded by the camera to tape. To copy that digital file one must run the complete tape. 

Early camcorders used tape and "Capture" was by transfer of the file on tape by firewire. A 60 min, tape took 60 min. to transfer because of the liner nature of tape. All transfers were by firewire. According to the specs on the Sony DCR-PC100E it is a PAL camera that saves to a memory card. A computer would see the card as a USB connection as a storage device. Pinnacle "Import" should see the USB device and should be able to copy the files. Transfer time and speed is dependent on the capability of the USB and memory card.  If the camera connects via USB there is no need to "play" the file to transfer.

•  05-04-2020, 17:25 798822 in reply to 798820

Only still images can be recorded on the Memory Stick of this camera, plus there is no USB connector.

BTW, I doubt OP will ever read your message 18 months later. 

•  05-04-2020, 17:31 798823 in reply to 798820

Stewart Lavis:
    According to the specs on the Sony DCR-PC100E it is a PAL camera that saves to a memory card. A computer would see the card as a USB connection as a storage device. Pinnacle "Import" should see the USB device and should be able to copy the files. Transfer time and speed is dependent on the capability of the USB and memory card.  If the camera connects via USB there is no need to "play" the file to transfer.
    According to this, the Sony DCR-PC100E is actually a DV camera, that connects via Firewire. https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/3867/38677531M.pdf

It only uses a Memory stick to save stills to.

FWIW, Panasonic also made a few DV cameras that could be connected, via USB, to alllow digitising the DV tapes thus avoiding the need for a firewire port, as Apple had patented firewire and you had to pay them money to use it. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/06/the-rise-and-fall-of-firewire-the-standard-everyone-couldnt-quite-agree-on/

Anyway, this is a two year old post.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy