Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Input requested for my new configuration

Last post 03-07-2020, 12:20 by Tony P. 42 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (43 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-18-2020, 8:05 795270

Input requested for my new configuration

Hi all,

I am brand new to this forum but I have been using Pinnacle software since version 7 already. My 10 year old PC (custom made for video editing, key components I7-930, 4x2.8 GHz, 3x2 GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GT240 512MB) is now struggling with Pinnacle Studio 20 Ultimate on Win10. Previews are calculated sooo slow nowadays and sometimes Pinnacle just stops working. Lucky for me I can resume my work from where I left when I restart Pinnacle (which takes one minute, even from an SSD...)

My video input ranges from SD to Full HD and 4K/UHD. The desired output is mainly meant to display nicely on my 4K/UHD TV. I do not intend to create BluRay output. My main struggle nowadays are the slow preview calculations of effects. Rendering takes a lot of time too, but that's only after everything is finished and I am not waiting for that process to be completed anyway, I will find the result the next morning.... Typical length of output is a 20-30 minutes Full-HD file and this takes about an hour or so to complete.

When selecting my components, I mainly had doubts on the CPU, GPU and memory.

CPU: should I go for the Intel I9 9700 or AMD's Ryzen 9. I tend to go for AMD this time based on what I have read.
    GPU: I read mixed stories on the use of a decent GPU. I am not sure if Pinnacle makes full use of the GPU power and if it doesn't there is potential saving here.
    Memory: again mixed stories. On one hand one says that video-editing PCs can not have enough memory. But I have also read somewhere that Pinnacle does not use more then 8 GB.... 

Anyhow, based on some configurations I saw in this forum I have tried to configure a PC on my own. It's still a shopping list and I am definitely interested in your opinion/suggestions.

Mario 

Case

COOLER MASTER SILENCIO S600 - MID TOWER

Processor (CPU)

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPU 12 Core (3,8 GHz-4,6 GHz/CACHE, 70 MB/AM4+)

Motherboard

ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0)

Memory (RAM)

32 GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000 MHz (2 x 16 GB)

GPU

8 GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 SUPER - HDMI, DP 

1ste Storage Drive

500 GB Samsung 860 EVO 2,5 inch SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (max 550 MB/sR | 520 MB/sW)

(primary for Win10, so I could opt for the 250 GB version)

2nd Storage Drive

500 GB Samsung 860 EVO 2,5 inch SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (max 550 MB/sR | 520 MB/sW)

To run programms from, mainly Pinnacle Studio 20 Ultimate.

Also to be used a scratch disc, although I do have some legacy SSDs I could install for that purpose (only if that makes sense of course). 

3e Storage Drive

4 TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3,5", 7200 RPM CACHE VAN 128 MB

Will be used for storing my footage. A back up is available on my NAS. 

DVD/BLU-RAY-station

None selected. I store the result on my NAS to view it on my TV. The absence of a DVD station allowed to cut down expenses on the case. The cheapest case with DVD-suppport I could find (at least in the shop where I was configuring) would cost me an additional €200).

Power

CORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRASTIL

According to the configurator this should be enough. 

Cooler

MasterLiquid Lite 240 high-performance by Cooler Master

Will this suffice once Pinnacle start heating thing up?

Soundcard

8 channel (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (default, built in)

Total price including Win10 and configuration is about €2500.  I intend to configure a PC that is future proof so I tend not to go for the bare minimum.

•  02-18-2020, 8:37 795272 in reply to 795270

Re: Input requested for my new configuration

See my computer specs below. I am quite happy with it. I "upgraded" from a Ryzen 7 1700X and 16GB of RAM to the current system. I still kept the same video card.

My reason for going with 3900X and a X570 motherboard is to "future proof" me of sorts. I can wait for the 3950X 16core/32thread CPU to drop way in price in 3 or so years. I have PCIe 4.0 already and have 32GB of DDR4 3200 RAM. I installed a 1TB NVME C: drive along with 2 SSD's, and a couple of mechanical HD's for storage. AMD is way ahead of Intel in this along with mutithread apps becoming more prevalent. The small single thread performance in some apps that the i9 has doesn't compare to the dominance of 3900X in everything else, and it includes a cooler.

I am using the stock cooler on the CPU. Also using the Phanteks P400a case which has great thermals/air flow. I might go 360 AIO in the future, but so far, have no real need to. I had an AIO on the 1700X and didn't bother transferring it  over. Besides, the RGB on the stock cooler is pretty good!

For the most part, I would run Pinnacle on the C: drive. I would never use a 240GB C: drive.... it's just too small.  500GB is the minimum, but a 1TB is what I would opt for. If you wanted to use a "scratch disk", you can use a 120GB SSD (dirt cheap) for that if you want SSD.  You can put all the storage locations and render files on it.

As for graphics cards... you will get different opinions. But for "me", AMD rocks. Especially when exporting. No problems with drivers, no problems with artifacts or black screens, just happy exporting. Others have had problems with Nvidia. But I am referring to Polaris, not Navi 5000series cards. I'll wait for prices to drop way down before investing in another video card. If you wanted to save money and don't game much, even a RX580 8GB will be enough.

I would go for a slightly stronger power supply myself. 550watt might be "enough", but I'd rather have a little more power reserve if I add say a 3950X in the future.  Getting a "gold plus" is nice but not necessary. A "bronze" 650 would be fine. I am using a bronze 730watt Thermaltake semi-modular because it was on sale. 

RAM: go 3200. Ryzen CPU's like fast RAM. Although there is faster RAM out there, currently, 3200 is the "sweet spot" in performance and cost.I am using Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro.

There was no mention of what case you are going to use. Air flow is extremely important. 

I haven't bought a pre-built computer in decades opting to always build my own. I was a system builder for clients for years doing custom PC builds for companies, etc.. 

•  02-18-2020, 10:20 795277 in reply to 795272

Betreft: Re: Input requested for my new configuration

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your detailed input. I am not into technical specs of components so I had my previous PC configured by a system builder. Good to read that you formerly was a system builder as well, that adds even more weight to you opinion.

I admit that when I said "...based on some configurations I saw in this forum.."  your configuration was one of them. And of course the availability of brands and series in the webconfigurator played a role as well.

Downsizing on the GPU saves me a considerable amount of money (about €250), so thanks a lot. 

I have now also increased the primary drive to 1 TB (Samsung 860 QVO) and I have exchanged the second drive for a 250 GB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 PCIe NVMe. (Adds €30, but I could save 20 when using SATA (Samsung 860 EVO) instead of NVMe again).But for those few bucks I'll go for the extra speed.

Power: 650 it will be for €10 extra. My reseller offers only Gold. 

RAM: Good tip to go for 3200. However 3000 is the fastest available on the website I was looking. I'll have to check for other PC Builders then or contact my current configurator to see I they can deliver it anyway. ALTERNATE offers it for an extra €7, so that no difference to bother about.

The case I was looking for looks like a very basic case, CoolerMaster Silencio S600. I can not find any information on the quality of the airflow. It's a cheap case (€80) so I guess there will be better (more expensive) alternatives. Would a BeQuiet! Base601 tower be a better option? On the other hand, the Coolermaster allows to install 5 additional fans on top of the 2 pre-installed ones, the BeQuiet! does only have the 2 preconfigured fans...

All in all your tips give me the feeling I am on the right path. I will check if I can find some other PC Builders that can deliver the faster memory as well as the rest of the components. The total price including the more expensive BeQuiet! case is at a somewhat more comfortable and affordable €2200 now.

The site's configurator does not recommend to install Windows on the SATA-SSD drive, but on the M.2/PCIe-SSD instead. That would mean I have to exchange the cheaper 1 GB SATA-SSD for a 1 GB PCI-e/NVMe-SSD and vice versa. This would add €120 again. I currently run Win10 on an ancient 80 GB Intel SSD and have stripped an 120GB M4 SSD from my wife's deceased laptop and it runs fine. When it comes to a deal I will check what they base their recommendations on.

All in all I am very happy with your valuable advice. I will certainly post the final configuration once I have bought it. In the meantime I'll embrace any further tips. I am in no hurry to buy this PC, but the first steps are made. And don't forget the Wife Acceptance Factor... 

Regards,

Mario 

•  02-18-2020, 11:09 795278 in reply to 795277

Re: Betreft: Re: Input requested for my new configuration

I'll start with the case. I wouldn't bother with it. Zero air flow and you will have one hot, throttling oven of a PC. If you wanted to save some money on a case, my Phanteks P400a (mine is white) costs about the same, gives you 3 RGB 120mm fans and has a mesh front for air flow. Watch this VIDEO of a Corsair 220T. You will learn something about airflow and cases. Also, watch this Best and Worst Cases of the Year 2019. BeQuiet cases are "quiet" but not the case to use if you want to consider airflow, which I do. Nothing worse than a hot running quiet computer. My case came with 3 fans already installed. I don't have to buy anything extra. Yes, when things do heat up, you hear the fans, but I've learned to have selective hearing and the sound isn't even remotely loud.

Using NVME over SATA will save you a few seconds, but getting a 1TB SSD (not necessarily Samsung, look also at Crucial MX500's or even older MX300's if they cost less) is a good option. I don't think you will notice the speed difference in a NVME used as a storage drive.

RAM: I would make sure that the motherboard I plan to use supports the RAM I am interested in buying. Nothing like buying RAM that isn't supported at it's rated speed and you will have to clock it slower, or let the motherboard do it's 2133Mhz default clock. A waste of RAM speed/cost.  

You can install Windows on anything you want. We've all had it installed on mechanical hard drives and lived to tell the story. In my current build (below), I am still using the SSD from my previous build as I migrate software over to the NVME C: drive (I dual boot back an forth). I've been using the SSD for 3 years now. 

Take your time in doing this. Before I built this current computer, I spent a lot of time researching everything. Weighing the cost/benefit of each part. I was Stateside last June (I'm from NY now living in Poland). I went to Microcenter and bought SSD's and NVME drive. Computer parts are WAY cheaper there than here in Poland with the wonderful VAT. But I bought the case, motherboard, RAM and CPU here just in case something doesn't work. 

About that water cooler for the CPU.... it's a nice option but if you aren't going to do really heavy, long rendering video projects and overclocking the CPU, it is really not necessary. Most of the projects I work on can be complex, but most are under 15 minutes. Never a overheating issue. Read THIS.

•  02-18-2020, 12:03 795280 in reply to 795278

My "2 pence" - someting that I don't think Tony commented on...

That 3rd storage drive - if it is solely for keeping copies of the finished videos (and not being used for holding source videos while editing) do you need the extra spindle speed (and cost) of an Ironwolf Pro? For archiving, IMO a regular Ironwolf (or even a Barracuda) would be plenty fast enough. At my usual supplier in the UK the 4TB Ironwolf Pro costs about 40% more than the non-Pro (and getting on for double the cost of the Barracuda)!

If that 3rd drive is only for archiving, an alternative to it being inside the PC would be to use a USB3 external drive (Seagate Expansion, WD Elements etc.) - here I can actually buy an external drive (with its case, power adapter and USB3 cable) cheaper than I can buy a bare SATA hard drive of the same capacity!

Regards,
    Richard

•  02-18-2020, 12:14 795281 in reply to 795280

Yep!! What he said above!
  •  02-18-2020, 13:45 795291 in reply to 795280

Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Input requested for my new configuration

Richard, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the HDD. My rough and finished videos will be stored on a 8 TB NAS, and I keep a backup on an external drive. The 3d HDD is intended for all sorts of data, to keep it apart from my OS (C:) and Program drives (D:). I may save some costs indeed if I switch to the non-Pro version and if speed becomes an issue I could give one of my current SSDs a 2nd life and copy my 'work in progress's video there.

Regards,

Mario 

•  02-18-2020, 13:55 795292 in reply to 795278

Thanks again Tony,

I'll check out your suggested videos soon. For sure I am not spending my money on an oven indeed and I do also not intend to waste some on a water cooler if that's not needed. I live in Holland, so I know VAT :(

I learned a lot, again.

Regards,

Mario 

•  02-18-2020, 14:47 795294 in reply to 795292

Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Input requested for my new configuration

Ask any  questions at any time!  Yes
  •  02-19-2020, 5:42 795305 in reply to 795294

One more thing about storage drives. Here is an interesting VIDEO by Linus on the topic... if you can notice the difference between SATA, NVME, and Gen 4. His final comment concerning Red 8K footage was interesting.
  •  02-20-2020, 11:54 795369 in reply to 795305

Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Input requested for my new configuration

Based on your input and videos and combined with the availability of products on a selected system-builder's site I have updated my wishlist. Switched to a case with mesh front and better airflow. Based on builder's advice I still have a watercooler and I have added an additional case fan (based on this review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqoGsaYJIzU). I saved some additional money by switching from M2 to SATA SSD, as you suggested. 

Mario 

•  02-20-2020, 12:12 795370 in reply to 795369

Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Input requested for my new configuration

Gamers Nexus is my "go to" for computer case evaluations. I understand you choices based on availability. The Phanteks P400a had to come in "special" for me since no one had it available in Poland.

As for water cooling.....you can't go wrong with lower temperatures on the CPU. Question, where is it going to be mounted? Front of case or top? 

Have you decided on GPU?

How much less is the total cost now?

•  02-20-2020, 13:50 795388 in reply to 795370

Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Input requested for my new configuration

I have added my 'wishlist' in my signature. Possibly there is some delay, but here is the full list. The system-builder suggests to changing from ASUS ORG to MSI for the motherboard to better comply to budget. I can't think of counter arguments.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 
    GPU: AMD RADEON RX 590
    MEM:Corsair Vengeance 32GB @ 3200Mhz
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E or MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WI-FI
    Case: Fractal Design Meshify C
    Watercooler:
    NZXT Kraken X42 or Corsair Hydro H100i PRO 
    2 Corsair AF120 fans frontpanel
    SSD Crucial MX500 (500GB + 1 TB) + 4 TB HDD 
    Power supply: Corsair VS650. Total required capacity is computed at only 420W so isn'tn 650 not overkill? I could also go for a gold 550 (Seasonic Focus) for only €35 extra and still have more than enough, not?

As for the placement of the watercooler, what would you suggest? I haven't gone through these kind of details (kind of trust he knows what he's doing...). I haven't ordered anything final yet.

Total price is now just over 2K including a Win10 license including the labor. 

•  02-20-2020, 14:54 795395 in reply to 795388

Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Input requested for my new configuration

Oh.... Does he carry Gigabyte? If you want to know which boards to consider because of the VRM of the boards being capable to delivering what is needed for the CPU, watch this VIDEO. Also, this VIDEO from about the 21 minute mark. The MSI board you listed doesn't have good VRM's as tested by many youtubers. Buildzoid is known for taking a hard look at motherboards and if you seen any of his detailed videos, he is highly respected. Here is a quick thought on the MSI board you listed HERE.

The Asus board is very expensive. The Pro Carbon not far behind in cost, but no one is recommending it. The board that I use, the Gigabtye Aorus Elite, a $200 board if you need no bells or whistles. I don't. Post code would be nice, but not the end of the world for me if there is none. 

Research boards before you spend. 

I wouldn't get the Kraken X42. It uses a single 140mm fan on the radiator. I'd stay with the supplied AMD CPU cooler. The Corsair H100i is an older AIO but would be more effective in cooling and has a larger radiator and is a 240mm cooler with two 120mm fans.

It has been tested that the best location for CPU cooling alone is the front of the case. But what it does is add heat into the case to increase the heat of the GPU. So, proper exhaust is something to consider. In my 1700X build, the water cooler was on the front of the case, but I had fans top and rear to keep the heat moving out. 

As for computing power supply wattage, 650 watt is not overkill. A 1000watt powersupply is overkill. A 550watt leaves little overhead. You have to see what your computer will draw from the wall outlet to know what it's really doing and needed as far as power.

•  02-20-2020, 16:40 795404 in reply to 795395

Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Input requested for my new configuration

Yes, they do carry Gigabyte and they offer the Aorus Elite as well, priced €20 under the MSI. I had to search for the meaning of 'VRM' and I  didn't even know that voltage management could even BE an issue... Thanks again for the warning, I'll check the videos later and will certainly consider the Aorus. 

I will also ask them about the placement of the (Corsair) water cooler.

To be continued... 

•  02-25-2020, 5:54 795615 in reply to 795404

Re: Input requested for my new configuration

At the moment, do not consider MSI boards. Watch this VIDEO.

So far, quite happy with the Gigabyte Elite.  Stay away from the board that was recommended, Gaming Pro Carbon.

You can pause on the graphs in the first few minutes to see the results overall. 

•  02-25-2020, 9:21 795622 in reply to 795615

Betreft: Re: Input requested for my new configuration

Message understood. I'll stick to the Aorus Elite. As for the case I am doubting between the Fractal Design Meshify C and NZXT H710, the latter costing an extra 75 euros, but has more built in fans (and great looks😊).

I notice memory prices are slowly rising (Corona...?) 

•  02-25-2020, 10:28 795626 in reply to 795622

Yes, RAM prices were projected to rise this year so I bought as soon as I could. 32GB is enough for me.

As for the NZXT, it looks nice but is not known for it's thermals.  My go to person for case reviews is Gamers Nexus. What the review HERE. Add more fans to the Meshify and it will cool nicely. But again, that adds to the cost.

My Phanteks P400a in white with the 3 front addressable RGB fans, the Corsair Pro RGB RAM and the stock AMD cooler really look nice with the glass panel side.  But you have to consider the additional cost for looks. I do like all the SSD mounts, but I still use large mega terabyte mechanical drives.

Again, I am still using the AMD supplied cooler, but maybe in the future, looking to 360 AIO water cooler. 

•  02-25-2020, 11:59 795630 in reply to 795626

Thanks Tony. I have already seen that review (thanks to your earlier tip to see Gamers Next reviews). The odd thing with the review of the NZXT case is that I cannot quite match the final verdict with the various graphs. The graphs justify a better verdict if I interpret them well.

So I could go for the good looking NZXT, having more pre-built fans (to compensate for the partially closed front), OR the Fractal Design Meshify C, cheaper but needs at least one additional fan. Then there is a third alternative: the PC builder I am looking at also offers the CoolerMaster H500p, having both a mesh front  AND more fans than the Fractal. This one is reviewed by Gamers Nexus and with good results. Downside: another 15 euros more expensive, so 90 on top of the Fractal, being the price of 2 fans...

Choices, choices... 

•  02-25-2020, 13:13 795633 in reply to 795630

Since I build my own PC's, I went with the Phanteks because it does what I want at a price that was low and still looks good. If I were spending more money, I would consider the NZXT because it looks good and has room to spare.But that comes at a cost. Aesthetics is important too. Then there is the Lian Li Lancool II. Decent airflow and highly customizable. But that wasn't available when I was building.

I looked at the graphs and temps of the NZXT, and it will do for what you want. Question is, which water cooler are you going to get, if any? If it's the X42, not worth the additional cost. 

•  02-25-2020, 13:41 795634 in reply to 795633

Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Input requested for my new configuration

Unfortunately, as I have no intention to build the PC myself, I depend on the assortment of my PC builder, ruling out isPhanteks. They do have Coolermaster, Fractal, Sharkoon, Corsair and NZXT, but of each only a selection of all cases on the market is available.

The watercooler they advise for the 3700X is the bigger X62.

•  02-25-2020, 14:01 795637 in reply to 795634

Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Input requested for my new configuration

I am guessing you meant to say 3900X and not 3700X?

While the X62 is a good cooler, the X63 is the newest one from NZXT. Looks like they are trying to upsell you. What other 240 coolers do they have?

•  02-25-2020, 17:34 795643 in reply to 795637

Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Input requested for my new configuration

3900X obviously. Good guess ;) 

The other 240 cpu-coolers they can supply are watercoolers only: 

CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML240L

Corsair H100i Pro

NZXT Kraken X62 (280)

•  02-25-2020, 18:15 795645 in reply to 795643

Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Input requested for my new configuration

The best AIO that you listed will be the X62, but I bet it costs more. The H100i is slightly better than the Cooler Master.

The X62 does look the best when lit up. But again, you pay for that too. 

I liked the look of the X62 when it first came out but wasn't willing to spend so much more just for a nice look. They also have one of the longest warranties. 

•  02-25-2020, 19:01 795647 in reply to 795645

Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Input requested for my new configuration

The configuration so far would consist of:

Fractal Design Meshify C

- Gigabyte Aorus Elite

- AMD RYZEN 9 3900X - 3,8GHz

- Corsair Vengeance 32GB (3200Mhz)

- 1 x 500 GB SSD Crucial MX500

- 1 x 1 TB SSD Crucial MX500

- 4 TB HDD

- AMD RADEON RX 590 8GB

- NZXT Kraken X62

- Corsair VS650

- Windows 10 Home NL 64 bit

and would be priced just under €2100, configuration and shipping included.

I could save 22.50 by taking the H100i instead of the X62 and spend 75 more on the NZXT case. But all in all I expect the above configuration to be quite suitable for HD and 4K video editing in Pinnacle and  I think I will not need another upgrade anytime soon then.

I'm currently on version 20 Ultimate, do you know if 23 is better, in terms of stability or performance? I may consider an upgrade then.

Page 1 of 2 (43 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy