Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Studio 23 Ultimate Hardware Requirements:

Last post 02-07-2020, 16:55 by Tony P. 15 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-27-2020, 11:42 794548

Studio 23 Ultimate Hardware Requirements:

Hello Everyone:

Will Studio 23 playback and render faster the more cores a CPU has or is there a limit to the number of cores Studio 23 will use after which there is no benefit to more cores? For example, is there a benefit to a 12 core CPU over an 8 core CPU?

Ditto for the graphics card. Will a faster graphics card process graphics card enabled processes more quickly or is there a limit, eg RTX 2060 so that for example an RTX 2070 will not be faster than an RTX 2060?

I'm trying to get a definitive answer to these questions but support is pointing to me to hardware requirements that are four years old!

If anyone could help me with this, I would be deeply appreciative.

Thanks,

Regis

•  01-27-2020, 12:43 794549 in reply to 794548

Re:Studio 23 Ultimate Hardware Requirements:

Hi and welcome to this forum, Regis.

All I can say is that the best efficiency is reached thanks to the GPU and not the CPU.

Read this : http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/thread/762613.aspx

•  01-27-2020, 13:23 794551 in reply to 794549

Re: Re:Studio 23 Ultimate Hardware Requirements:

No, you are not understanding that post correctly.

You can see in this video here that 8 cores is around 15% faster than 4 cores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7viqHjiIPAA

•  01-27-2020, 16:37 794556 in reply to 794548

Re: Studio 23 Ultimate Hardware Requirements:

Can anyone help me with this? This is a pretty fundamental question.
  •  01-27-2020, 16:52 794557 in reply to 794556

Unless someone specifically tests with different CPU's, it's hard to say.

If you would have posted this a month ago, I would have tested with my Ryzen 7 1700X 8core/16thread, and compare it to my current CPU, Ryzen 9 3900X, 12core/24thread CPU.

With AMD hardware acceleration, export times have decreased, even in my old build. Why? Previously, there was no AMD graphics support, so exporting relied only on the CPU. Now, it's spread out better both.

Unless someone comes up with a test package that everyone can use and post results, it will be hard to say. 

But, I am loving my all AMD computer build!

•  01-27-2020, 17:07 794558 in reply to 794557

Hello Tony:

You can test this on your own computer. In your BIOS you can turn off cores so that you can see how long it takes to render the same file with for example 8 cores and then with all cores working, with 12 cores. 

In 'task manager' you can also see how much CPU capacity the render is using with 8 cores and with 12 cores.

If you could do this, I would be most grateful.

Regis  

•  01-27-2020, 18:20 794559 in reply to 794558

Attachment: CPU Test Export.jpg
    I personally can't do this. To set things up in the BIOS, create a project (what file format and resolution) with different fx, etc.. would right now, consume too much of my time. Then there are the additional CPU threads that are also used. Each project presents a different hardware result. All dependent on what is done on the timeline.

And since there is a graphics card (as you posted in your original post), there is no way to have a comparison if using a more pricey card will yield better results.. unless you have the hardware to test for yourself.

The methodology, setup and testing time is just too much.

But for "me", more is always better and faster. Example...project is 5minutes 56 seconds. With only CPU, export 3min 6sec. With both CPU and GPU, 2min 15sec. You can do the math if the same project is longer what the differential in time is.

•  01-27-2020, 22:34 794568 in reply to 794559

It's not that complicated. You would use the same file in all tests with 8 or 12 cores so that you can directly compare the results. You could even use the same file that you used for the attached jpg. It doesn't matter what different fx you would use because if you use the same file for all tests, the ratio of render speed between an 8 and a 12 core CPU would always be the same. 

I can predict from the jpg you attached how this is going to turn out but if you could this anyway, I would be deeply appreciative.

Thanks,

Regis 

•  01-28-2020, 10:40 794587 in reply to 794568

It is that complicated and time consuming for "me". It does matter what FX and file formats you are using. That determines the overall usage of the computer hardware. Some things will take advantage of all the cores, others will not.

Still images exported don't use much of anything, so if I use that, the results will be minimal as to hardware usage. To give a full assessment of how the hardware is used and not used, you would need a balance of what specifically does and does not use the hardware.

•  01-28-2020, 19:56 794619 in reply to 794587

in regards to Pinn Studio and 4K editing, its an important question that ought be tested.

How much is gained spending on a CPU ?

How well does Pinn 23 take advantage of multiple cores ?

How well does Pinn 23 perform using Intel Quick Sync vs a good GPU ? How well does it take advantage of powerful GPUs ?

FWIW, most of what I've read in regards to other editors emphasizes the value of more memory and more cores -- something that plateaus at around 12 cores.

But some software like DaVinci Resolve are more optimized for GPUs.

Doing a Pinn 23 test using a the same small 4K 60P file ought not be too tough.

If everyone who has good hardware were to all use a common 4K file and with a common AXP sequence, those results could be timed out and compared.

•  01-29-2020, 3:56 794622 in reply to 794619

That is what usually happens, create a project package that everyone can use and report back on.

Vegas Pro will use up to 32 cores, but not all the time. Everything is dependent on what fx/titles/etc are used. The same with exporting.  What export settings are used also affect the hardware usage.

But if someone is willing to step up and create something....

•  01-29-2020, 9:21 794631 in reply to 794622

There is no doubt in my mind that the developers of Studio know the answers to these questions but they just won't publicize them because somehow, they believe that this information is detrimental to their cause.
  •  01-29-2020, 10:16 794634 in reply to 794631

Really. I would like to see one NLE where the specs show what is happening with what hardware. They all list the minimum requirements to use the software. The developers also don't have all the hardware necessary to make these tests.

How would things be detrimental? In the forums people have posted results. So unless you are willing to create a project that would give an assessment of what different hardware will do, unfair speculation is not productive.

•  01-29-2020, 12:48 794638 in reply to 794631

Regis_Mencer:
    There is no doubt in my mind that the developers of Studio know the answers to these questions but they just won't publicize them because somehow, they believe that this information is detrimental to their cause.

I'm 100% certain that they don't have the answer.

•  02-07-2020, 12:37 794932 in reply to 794548

I recall reading an article on the Puget Systems website that spoke of the ideal computer configuration for using Premiere Pro. There was a mention of a sweet spot for the number of cores for running that application.  At a certain quantity (which I cannot remember how many), the higher core CPU was actually detrimental.  Of course, that may not apply to Pinnacle.  Interesting point, though.

•  02-07-2020, 16:55 794934 in reply to 794932

That was with Premiere. Each software is different and uses your computer hardware in different ways. Vegas Pro you can set the software for 32 cores/threads. Puget has a "bias" to hardware and software. They also sell Intel along with using Premiere as a benchmark (I don't use Premiere), which is one of the LEAST optimized pieces of software for using multicore CPU's. . Use independent testers, not them, as a guideline. There was a time when Intel high Mhz CPU's were better than AMD with Premiere. Not any more.

From TechSpot review comparing the 9900K to the 3900X, "The R9 3900X was 22% faster than the 9900K and even the 3700X edged out the 9900K, making it 25% faster than the 9700K. Making these results more impressive is that Premiere is a very pro-Intel piece of software. AMD’s shown the 3900X to be a little over 50% faster than the 9900K in DaVinci Resolve, and yes, we know we need to get a DaVinci project sorted and start adding it to our benchmarks, promise we’ll get that done soon."

My computer now (specs below) is faster than my previous computer, and the differences are, my "old" computer was a Ryzen 1700X OC'ed and 16GB RAM.. I also have now a X570 motherboard.

I bought to "future" proof myself. I have PCIe 4.0 which will become mainstream in the future, and I can upgrade to a 3950X CPU when it drops way down in price in a few years. I won't have to upgrade my motherboard, and with 32GB of RAM, I'm good.

Software will make use of more cores/threads in the future. 

This is my last computer build, and I will only be upgrading the CPU and maybe disk storage. 

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy