Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

PS 22 Project settings

Last post 01-16-2020, 23:53 by R_Vera. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-14-2020, 23:01 793920

PS 22 Project settings

I just finished editing a video on PS12 and made it into an AVI file. Now I want to use PS22 to make the DVD menus since PS12 menus don't work very well on W10. I would like to know what settings do I choose for my project. Either NTSC Standard or NTSC Progressive or it won't matter what settings it appears as (HD...). I am not quite sure how the video may end up after making the disc. Thanks for your help.

BTW: The video capture was by Mini DV tapes. 

•  01-15-2020, 1:41 793922 in reply to 793920

Re:PS 22 Project settings

I'd say progressive, since modern TV are no longer displaying interlaced images.
  •  01-15-2020, 9:28 793955 in reply to 793922

Re: Re:PS 22 Project settings

saby:
    I'd say progressive, since modern TV are no longer displaying interlaced images.
    My gut-feeling would be:

• If the DVD is ever going to be viewed on a TV, keep with whatever setting was used by the original source videos (if the original video swas interlaced, keep as interlaced (30 (60i)). Modern TVs may make a better job of "deinterlacing" at the moment of viewing than having Studio deinterlace during the export (maybe try a little test project using a clip where the subject has a lot of sideways motion)
    • If the DVD will only ever be viewed on a computer, then use Progressive (30p) as Studio may make a better job of the deinterlacing than some media player software.

What is the issue with Studio 12 menus? I use legacy Studio (12/14/15) quite a lot for creating DVDs and have no issues with Windows 10. However there is an issue with VLC Player; a menu that has a solid colour or still-image background does not play in VLC; this is a very long-standing bug in VLC and not related to Windows 10 (MPC-HC (and the Windows "DVD Player" app have no problem with those menus). To work around the problem with VLC, use a video file a the menu background (even if that video file was created by exporting a still-image); you can put a soundtrack for the menu in that video file too.

HTH
    Richard

•  01-15-2020, 9:55 793957 in reply to 793955

culpanr:

saby:
    My gut-feeling would be:

What is the issue with Studio 12 menus? I use legacy Studio (12/14/15) quite a lot for creating DVDs and have no issues with Windows 10. However there is an issue with VLC Player; a menu that has a solid colour or still-image background does not play in VLC; this is a very long-standing bug in VLC and not related to Windows 10 (MPC-HC (and the Windows "DVD Player" app have no problem with those menus). To work around the problem with VLC, use a video file a the menu background (even if that video file was created by exporting a still-image); you can put a soundtrack for the menu in that video file too.

HTH
    Richard

The problem I have with PS12 on W10 is that a lot of the DVD menus won't show up correctly. Have missing features. 

•  01-15-2020, 12:55 793966 in reply to 793957

R_Vera:
    The problem I have with PS12 on W10 is that a lot of the DVD menus won't show up correctly. Have missing features.

Problems with the DVD menus might be down to a bad installation of the content, or that a later version of Studio has overwritten registry information telling Studio 12 where to find its content - and not actually related to Windows 10

(a) Are all of the assets needed by an affected menu (backgrounds, button graphics, fonts) present in Studio 12's content folders (should be under C:\Users\Public\Documents\Pinnacle\Content)

(b) Are three important registry values that tell 32 bit versions of Studio where its content folders are intact (and not overwritten by installation of a later 64 bit version)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Pinnacle Systems\Content - there are four values there, I believe for Pinnacle Studio 14 and earlier
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Avid\Content - there are three values there, I believe for Pinnacle Studio 15, Avid Studio and Pinnacle Studio 16

If those values were overwritten by a later Pinnacle Studio version (Studio 19 was one that I do remember overwriting those values), if there are DVD menus that were in Studio 12 that are not also in the later version, the Studio 12 menus may appear to have missing parts

HTH
    Richard

•  01-15-2020, 16:50 793980 in reply to 793966

I already tried making a repair on PS12 but still have the same results. I also installed the PS12.1 patch and still the same problem.
  •  01-16-2020, 6:02 793994 in reply to 793980

R_Vera:
    I already tried making a repair on PS12 but still have the same results. I also installed the PS12.1 patch and still the same problem.

A repair of PS12 may not "put right" registry values that were trampled by the installation of a later version of Studio (it nay just be happy that the values exist, but not check what is in them) - and the values could be different from the defaults if the user chose a custom content folder location the first time they installed.

I would suggest that if you haven't checked those Registry values that you do so; if you do find that they contain a path to a later version of Studio's content folders, that would be a strong indication that some "trampling" has happened. A little careful editing with Regedit may be all that is necerssary to put things right.

Regards,
    Richard

•  01-16-2020, 10:08 794006 in reply to 793994

culpanr:

R_Vera:

A repair of PS12 may not "put right" registry values that were trampled by the installation of a later version of Studio (it nay just be happy that the values exist, but not check what is in them) - and the values could be different from the defaults if the user chose a custom content folder location the first time they installed.

I would suggest that if you haven't checked those Registry values that you do so; if you do find that they contain a path to a later version of Studio's content folders, that would be a strong indication that some "trampling" has happened. A little careful editing with Regedit may be all that is necerssary to put things right.

Regards,
    Richard

Thanks Richard,

I think I will make the DVD menus on my old XP Desktop for the mean time. I kind of find the DVD menu's a little difficult with PS22. I once made one, but it was quite a long time ago that I already forgot on how to do it. I have to refresh my old brain back again.

Thanks for all your help. 

•  01-16-2020, 18:47 794041 in reply to 794006

Well, after a few hours making the DVD on my XP machine...it failed on me (only the DVD menu's). I think the desktop I used is not too good to handle it.

I copied the contents from Pinnacle Studio (older versions) and then I removed the one on my W10 desktop and installed the one I copied and seems I got a few DVD menu's to fool around with. Now I will make the project again in PS12 to see what results I get.

P.S. - Sorry I already got off topic from PS22 to PS12. But I will make the DVD menus on PS22 after this so I can refresh my memory again. 

•  01-16-2020, 23:53 794043 in reply to 794041

Finally finished my project and seems the DVD Menus worked well.

Thanks everyone for your help and support. 

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy