Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Project Bins and Projects not shown on new computer.

Last post 01-05-2020, 13:14 by Jacket. 11 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-31-2019, 21:40 793066

Project Bins and Projects not shown on new computer.

I just installed Pinnacle Studio 22 Ultimate on my Windows 10 computer. Up to now I've been running it on my Windows 7 computer and have numerous projects and media all resident on another drive. My Windows 10 computer is a mirror image of my Windows 7 computer when it comes to the number of additional drives and the files and folders contained on each drive. Basically when I setup a computer the only files and folders on the C: drive is the Operating System and all of the data and or media is stored on other internal, external, or NAS drives where the shares are mapped for easy access.

Before installing Pinnacle Studio 22 Ultimate on my Windows 10 computer I duplicated all of the project and media files that I have on the Windows 7 computer to the exact same locations on the Windows 10 computer. When I opened any of the projects I noticed that none of the Project Bins are listed under the Project Bin icon on the left side and none of the Projects are listed under the Project icon on the left side.

I should mention that after installing Pinnacle Studio 22 Ultimate on my Windows 10 computer I went into Setup>Control Panel and changed all of the Storage Locations to match the way they are on the Windows 7 computer.

Is there a way to have the Project Bins and Projects listed under their respective icon or do I have to recreate the Project Bins all over again?
  •  01-01-2020, 1:24 793068 in reply to 793066

Re:Project Bins and Projects not shown on new computer.

It s not possible without tweaking some hidden files.
  •  01-01-2020, 11:50 793092 in reply to 793068

Re: Re:Project Bins and Projects not shown on new computer.

What hidden files are we talking about and where are they located.

I may not be an expert in the field however I've been building computers for myself and family and friends since 2003. In addition I've been dealing with Windows Operating Systems since Windows 3.1 (prior to Windows 95 and not Windows NT 3.1) and has provided a little support on systems, applications, and the registry. Like I said I'm not an expert by any means but I can do know my way around to a certain degree. For what it's worth I currently show hidden files and folders on my Windows 7 computer and will do so if I need to on the Windows 10 computer.

In regards to tweaking the hidden files are we talking about the Windows 7 computer or the Windows 10 computer or both? 

•  01-01-2020, 12:38 793093 in reply to 793092

Tags, collections and bins are stored in this folder : C:\Users\Yourusername\AppData\Local\Pinnacle_Studio_2x\Studio\2x.0\NGDatabase\tag

In this folder you will find some .xmp files.

These are xml files. Each file describes a tag, a collection or a bin. You can easily edit them with Notepad.

When you see this character chain in a xmp, that's a bin, and its name is hello :     V F N G T a g   N a m e   _ s y s : b i n ; hello                   €

When you see this character chain in a xmp, that's a collection, and its name is hello :     V F N G T a g   N a m e   _ s y s : c o l l ; goodbye                  €

When you see this character chain in a xmp, that's a tag, and its name is hello : V F N G T a g   N a m e  cheers                   €

Copying/pasting these files may be what you need. At your own risks.

•  01-01-2020, 13:03 793095 in reply to 793093

Thanks again saby. If I read you correctly I can copy and  the files you list from the Windows 7 computer to the Windows 10 computer and that will possibly solve my problem.

What I will do first before I do any copy and pasting is do a complete Acronis True Image full backup of the C: drives on both machines. When I do a backup it's usually a complete iso image of the drive and store it on an external USB drive for safety. This way if I do something stupid or something goes wrong I can get back to the way the drive was before I decided to make the change.

Thanks again and I will let you know how it turns out later this week. 

•  01-01-2020, 13:06 793096 in reply to 793095

Jacket:

Thanks again saby. If I read you correctly I can copy and  the files you list from the Windows 7 computer to the Windows 10 computer and that will possibly solve my problem.

Yes.

•  01-03-2020, 13:54 793206 in reply to 793096

saby,

The copy and paste went as you suggested it would. There were however differences on what the final results of the copy and paste. As you can see in the included comparison jpeg image of the project bins, all media files for each Bin is not listed. I can explain the difference in "The Sky is the Limit" Project Bin because I did not cut and paste the two xmp files from Windows 7 to Windows 10. In this case the media files were not only shown as a total number in the Project Bin listing but the actual media files were shown and where the were located ie C:Users\Public.As I said this was not the case with the xmp files I had copy and pasted from Windows 7

I know you said in your directions that I could edit the xmp files in Notepad but I didn't what edits you were referring to therefore I didn't do any even though I opened each one ans viewed the contents. Is it possible that there were edits I should have made to the xmp files after pasting them in Windows 10 and that is the reason the media files of each Project Bin is not listed.What I did do was have the Control Panel open on each Project Bin in Windows 7 the compare it with the Project Bin Control Storage Locations in Windows 10 making and changes that needed to be made. That step made no difference.

Is there another step I should be taking to have the media files as a total number show in the Project bin listing and actually show when I click on a certain Project Bin? 

•  01-03-2020, 14:45 793208 in reply to 793206

Unfortunately, copying/pasting the .xmp files relating to project bins etc. is highly unlikely to "transfer" their contents as well due to the way in which those contents (all the video files etc. that you imported into the bins) are listed in the files.

When you import any asset into Studio's library, its location is stored in the library database along with a unique ID (that unique ID (an automatically-assigned GUID value) is how projects themselves, project bins, collections etc. refer to the assets. So if you've started with an empty database and re-imported all the assets, you will have completely new GUID values that won't match with anything that was in the old database.

There are two ways in which you might be able to get the old assets to show up in the project bins without having to manually re-add them:

• "Transplant" Studio's database folder tree in its entirety from the old to the new computer. So long as everyhing still appears in the same hard drive locations on the new computer, Studio ought to see it all exactly as it was...
    • Without having already imported the assets into Studio  on the new computer, open a project that was created on the old computer and which used those assets (Studio does an implied quick-import of anything referenced by the opened project that isn't already in the database, and it will use the old computer's GUID values (those are kept in the project file to allow a certain amount of portability (save project on one computer and open it on another)))

HTH
    Richard

•  01-03-2020, 15:54 793216 in reply to 793208

Richard,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I assume when you say Studio's database folder tree, you are talking about the Pinnacle_Studio_22>Studio>22.0>NGDatabase folder which shows also shows a db,Documents,tag, and Update folders. 

I also noticed in the Pinnacle_Studio_22>Studio>22.0 tree on my Windows 7 computer there is an Export folder that is populated with XML files.This same folder does not exist on my Windows 10 computer. Should I copy that one also? 

The biggest difference in folder differences is the Pinnacle_Studio_22>Studio>22.0>NGDatabase>Documents folder. On the Windows 7 computer the folder has 14 XML Document files and 14 corresponding BAK Files.

Except for the NGDatabase>tag folder where I previously copied and pasted the xml files, there are a few files in each of the other folders that are all the same on both machines except for Size differences.

Jacket 

•  01-03-2020, 15:56 793217 in reply to 793216

Jacket:

I assume when you say Studio's database folder tree, you are talking about the Pinnacle_Studio_22>Studio>22.0>NGDatabase folder which shows also shows a db,Documents,tag, and Update folders. 

No, the entire databse is stored into this folder : C:\Users\Yourusername\AppData\Local\Pinnacle_Studio_22\Studio

•  01-03-2020, 16:19 793218 in reply to 793217

Thank you for clarifying for me. I will do the transfer over the weekend and get back to when I do.

Thanks again 

•  01-05-2020, 13:14 793297 in reply to 793217

culpanr and saby,

Many thanks to both of you for directing me to get Pinnacle 22 running on my Windows 10 computer the same way that it is running on my Windows 7 computer.

First renaming the Studio folder to Studio_old on the Windows 10 computer then copying and pasting the entire Studio folder on the Windows 7 computer resulted in the two installations being identical.

Once again thanks to both of you for your expert direction.

Jacket 

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy