Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Request - Automated relocate missing files

Last post 12-25-2019, 11:58 by Hackej. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-23-2019, 8:34 792699

Request - Automated relocate missing files

Hi!

I have used previous version of Pinnacle from 9 up to Studio 15 for years but not done anything for some time now.
    So I thought I give Studio 23 a try ti see what progress has been made.

So the first thing I do is to try to import an old project of mine, and at that stage Studio 23 starts to ask me for the location of the associated video files.
    This is probable quite common and natural due to files being moved and/or drive letters being changed etc, so thats okay.

But what is dissapointing is that such a trivial and basic functionality like "locate missing files" is not automated in any way!
    All old video file are still stored in the same folder in more or less the same structure but on a new drive with a new drive letter.

So when Studio has asked me for the location of the first file and found it, it should then be able to locate the following files in the same folder automatically,
    instead of asking me to direct the program to the same folder over and over again.

This is so fundamental so my proposal is to implement this in a future patch or version.

BR
    /Hackej 

•  12-23-2019, 11:02 792708 in reply to 792699

Re:Request - Automated relocate missing files

Hi,

Hackej:

All old video file are still stored in the same folder in more or less the same structure but on a new drive with a new drive letter.

In this case, why not. But how about if the files are now stored in a completely different structure ? Should Studio scan for the files everywhere on the computer ? Risky and more time consumming than a manual relocation, don't you think ?

•  12-25-2019, 11:58 792794 in reply to 792708

Re: Re:Request - Automated relocate missing files

Hi!

And thanks for the quick reply! 

I guess the smartest and simpliets would be for Studio to ask for the folder location and then have options for: 

- "Locate this file only" - and Studio only locates this specific file 

- "Stay in Search Mode for remaining missing files"  - and Studio continues to searh for missing files in the specified structure - nowhere else.

- With additional option for "Include Sub folders" 

Then user can choose which, depending on if files are in one location or scattered on multiple disks or folders.
    So depending on how high up in the structure/hierarchy you place your search, it will scan different numbers of folders. 

There should also be a clear option to Cancel the whole current search:
    This is also something  which I had a problem with, I.e. the search for missing files continued even after I had closed/quit the Studio program because there was another exe running the actual search it seemed.

BR
    /Hackej

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy