Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Editing scuba videos made Backscatter red filters - P. Studio Ultimate 21

Last post 11-17-2019, 3:36 by RMZahn. 17 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-31-2018, 7:15 768240

Editing scuba videos made Backscatter red filters - P. Studio Ultimate 21

Hello everybody, this is my first post

My setup is:

Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 21 trial version (will purchase after evaluation of how I can edit the scuba videos)

Go Pro 6 and Backscatter 3.1 flip red filters, mostly I use Shallow and Dive filters

Andoer light (not used with red filter until now)

I would like to how to edit scuba videos made mounting red filters on the camera. More or less, the idea is I should use the "enhance" function. Then use the selective saturation cyan, and also brightness, contrast, clarity, white balance etc. until I get a good result

Unless I am mistaken I could not find a clear tutorial or discussion, any link on this would be useful

Or perhaps you can give some hints

Thanks 

•  07-31-2018, 8:15 768243 in reply to 768240

Re: Editing scuba videos made Backscatter red filters - P. Studio Ultimate 21

There is no direct tutorial on how to edit videos that use filters.

You look at the videos and decide the color correction yourself. Make sure that your monitor is as "calibrated" as possible so that the color corrections will look presentable. 

•  08-01-2018, 8:40 768289 in reply to 768243

Thank you very much for your answer

Honestly, I find it strange that nobody put somewhere a video or tutorial or this. For scuba divers it is essential to do the editing, the videos made with filters are useless if there is no editing there must be many people who have the same problem

Anyway, now I know I only have to go on by trial and error 

•  08-01-2018, 15:06 768292 in reply to 768289

I shoot underwater 4-5 times per year, starting with a 8 year old Nikon thru GoPro 6.  I have never used a red filter.  It might have helped the Nikon and the GoPro 3 & 4(never bought the 5).

With the GoPro 6, there is no need for the filter.  It detects the water, fresh or salt, and adjusts accordingly.

Not sure how to help you get rid of the red in PS now.

•  08-01-2018, 15:20 768293 in reply to 768292

Red filter is necessary both in shallow and in deep water imho

Anyway it seems the only way to do the editing is by trial and error with Pinnacle and any other software

It is surprising how scarce is the info on this topic 

•  08-01-2018, 15:58 768294 in reply to 768293

I'm not surprised. First, how many SCUBA dive and video as opposed to surface video sports/action. I dove in NY/LI/NJ for over 20 years (pro and tech rated deep deco diver). The percentage of people that dove in that huge metropolitan area is a faction of 1%. Most that we trained, headed to some clear water destination for a vacation dive once a year. I dove from March to December (dry suit diving). Even diving in January. World wide, compared to surface sports, diving is way low on the list. The investment in time to produce a video specific to color correcting a red filtered dive video is high. If you have a monetized channel, that's a low return investment.

Most people that use an action cam under water do not bother with filters of any type or lighting. 

Since info on this topic is scarce, how about you putting the info together as you learn?

•  08-01-2018, 16:44 768299 in reply to 768294

In the Florida keys right now.  Here's a cropped still image from my GoPro 6, with no color correction.  Pretty windy and stormy, so the water is murky.  I can't send the full size image because of the forums upload file size limit.
  •  08-01-2018, 17:24 768301 in reply to 768299

Nice image of a barracuda. Swam with some giant ones in the Bahamas several years ago. Spooky the way they look at you.
  •  08-02-2018, 7:56 768321 in reply to 768299

@acsscott The point is that color correction depends on many factors, but especially depth and color of the water. Also, Florida has a tropical weather and high visibility all the year, including the time you consider of low visibility. You should see what the visibility is the Italian lakes or in Northern Italy sea during winter, or (I guess) in the US lakes and rivers in the North... 

•  08-02-2018, 8:03 768322 in reply to 768294

Tony P:

Since info on this topic is scarce, how about you putting the info together as you learn?

I will do that, for sure you guys here have the skills to understand if the color correction is properly done, even though you didn't try it on scuba videos yourselves

•  08-02-2018, 8:03 768323 in reply to 768294

Tony P:

I will do that, for sure you guys here have the skills to understand if the color correction is properly done, even though you didn't try it on scuba videos yourselves

•  08-02-2018, 8:12 768324 in reply to 768321

So true about Florida vis. I dove in the Middle Keys. Dive boat operator said vis isn't good today. I was buddied up with quarry diver. We talked about what we dove. I said a good day of vis (diving offshore Atlantic Ocean) is 30 feet. Norm is 10-20 feet, and there are those days when it's 5 feet. Backscatter in the North Atlantic is everywhere. There are those days of 100+ feet vis, but those are really rare but wow... oh so impressive!
  •  08-02-2018, 19:25 768352 in reply to 768321

Sbiriguda:

@acsscott The point is that color correction depends on many factors, but especially depth and color of the water. Also, Florida has a tropical weather and high visibility all the year, including the time you consider of low visibility. You should see what the visibility is the Italian lakes or in Northern Italy sea during winter, or (I guess) in the US lakes and rivers in the North... 

Funny that you have this discussion.

I was in Key West yesterday and was thinking to myself that nothing compares to the beauty and visibility of the Mediterranean water were I'm living !

https://goo.gl/images/FY44mq

https://goo.gl/images/Z8GPH9

https://goo.gl/images/6jQjve

https://goo.gl/images/mVKTN0

•  08-02-2018, 20:06 768361 in reply to 768352

Saby, Key West isn't the best place to see clear water. The Middle Keys are much better.

The Adriatic Sea is pretty spectacular too. Dove off of Croatian island....

•  08-02-2018, 21:14 768370 in reply to 768361

I've dove several places around the world, not Australia which i hear is nice.  I'll take the middle and upper Florida keys.

Saby, wish I would have known you were down here, I would have taken you diving or fishing.

•  08-03-2018, 0:11 768373 in reply to 768370

My stay would have been too short. We had only 1.5 days and one night in Key West.

We loved this place. Much more for the mood and architecture of the streets than for the sea.

We are now in Naples heading to Orlando and the Disney Parks. 

•  08-03-2018, 1:23 768380 in reply to 768373

It's a different latitude and a different attitude for sure. A lot of history.  Better yet, lobster season opens Monday.  Nothing like going out in the boat, throwing on a mask and fins, jumping in and bringing up lunch, then going in and throwing them on the BBQ.

Enjoy Disney.  It's different now that everything has to be scheduled using fast passes and the Disney app on your phone.  Be sure to take advantage of mobile food ordering in the Disney app, then bypassing the lines to pickup your food at dedicated windows.

•  11-17-2019, 3:36 791010 in reply to 768380

sorry for this late answer

you should always use a red filter in Seawater!

you get only too much red in the depth of 2, 3 meter

that's easy to correct with the whitebalance in Studio

btw. the color grading in Studio 21 is crap after the patch to 21.5 
    i use now Studio 23

see my videos on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkEdv6tvw90e6XVMAPYk43Q/

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy