Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Techniques for resolving pan zoom challenge Studio 22 Ultimate

Last post 11-07-2019, 13:18 by iraisok. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-07-2019, 6:16 790717

Techniques for resolving pan zoom challenge Studio 22 Ultimate

Hi,

I'm looking for tips to resolve the following.  The original video has a fairly wide angle, with the camera zooming in a little bit and moving to the left to center the left half of the screen. I need to zoom in substantially more than does the original, and to do the zoom earlier than did the camera in the original footage.  I have done manually, keyframing adjustments in the zoom, horizontal/vertical position, and cropping parameters in the Properties of the clip.  With a lot of care and feeding, and keyframes, I've achieved a passable result - there are black bars on the left and right of the screen (they cannot be prevented), and I've done my best to try to keep centered throughout the zoom the person that i want there and to smooth the transition of the black bars.  But since the timing of the zoom and recentering of the original footage differs from what I want, it's not all that I want it to be.

Any suggestions for dealing with this?  I'm sure this not uncommon, but I couldn't find threads on the forums that seem to be right on point.  Some ideas I've had:

I've looked at masking to see whether I can mask the face, and tell Studio to keep the person's face rock-solid-centered, but I don't see that capability.  And I don't see that in the NewBlue Stabilizer effect.

As far as smoothing the creation of the black bars, I was thinking I could create a new layer on top of my video layer that starts out totally transparent, but smoothly transitions to a setting where I have the right sized black bars on left and right, but keep it transparent in the central part of the frame.  Is there a way to do that?

Again, any suggestions welcome!

Daddy Schlich 

•  11-07-2019, 10:04 790722 in reply to 790717

Re: Techniques for resolving pan zoom challenge Studio 22 Ultimate

Whenever I need to zoom way in and pan, I prefer to use the 2D Editor in Effects and key frame the clip.  The 2D Editor (or 3d used for more complex actions) have a greater zoom range, better resolution and more control than Pan and Zoom.
  •  11-07-2019, 11:52 790725 in reply to 790722

Hi, thanks.  I had seen tutorials on older versions of PS that advocated the use of the 2D CPU editing function, but the functionalities there - unless I am mistaken - don't address the specific issues I've outlined.
  •  11-07-2019, 13:18 790727 in reply to 790725

DaddySchlich:
    Hi, thanks.  I had seen tutorials on older versions of PS that advocated the use of the 2D CPU editing function, but the functionalities there - unless I am mistaken - don't address the specific issues I've outlined.

I admit to providing a generalized answer.  Yrs ago I would spend lots of time with Right-Mouse Pan and Zoom but found it be limiting and inaccurate.  I avoid Pan and Zoom (might be shot down on the forum for saying that).  Using the 2D or 3D effects editor worked better for me.   I can't provide detail on your requirement but will read responses by others.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy