Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Pan & Zoom help needed (PS22)

Last post 09-26-2019, 16:14 by thirly. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-16-2019, 19:37 788461

Pan & Zoom help needed (PS22)

Long question... not meant to sound like a rant!

Is there any sort of tutorial or explanation on how to use Pan & Zoom in PS22 (or any other version of PS that uses the same Pan & Zoom functions as 22)? Having used Pan & Zoom in PS12 for over a decade I’m struggling to use this feature properly in PS22. I am getting the results I want (eventually) but the methods that I’ve worked out seem incredibly fiddly and time consuming. I feel I must be doing something wrong - or, at least, not exactly right.

I see that there are several different Pan & Zoom editors in PS22. Is there a “best one” or an “easiest one”? The one I’ve managed to get results with is the Pan & Zoom accessed from the right-click menu when you select a clip or image on the timeline.

I’m wanting to do multiple movements on a single still image. I can manage to do this but I then have great difficulty if my settings need tweaking. I almost always get totally unexpected and unwanted results where the P&Z editor just does what it wants if I try changing any of the keyframes. The only certain way to get the result I expect is to delete the P&Z effect and start from fresh. Lots of trial and error - and wasted time.

If nothing else, is there an easy way to copy an end point, or any point, (X, Y & Z co-ordinates) from one P&Z clip and then paste those co-ordinates into the start, or any point, in another clip? In PS12 there was an option to “match previous image” (or similar) but I can’t see this in PS22.

While I can copy a keyframe’s co-ordinates within a P&Z clip and then select paste to duplicate that keyframe in that same clip, it appears that I cannot paste the copied keyframe into a different clip. Knowing how to do this would be a big step forward.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
  •  09-17-2019, 8:41 788491 in reply to 788461

Re: Pan & Zoom help needed (PS22)

Have you seen this video tutorial. It applies for all versions of Pinnacle Studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8QfFhLBXiE 

•  09-17-2019, 14:01 788504 in reply to 788491

R_Vera:

Have you seen this video tutorial. It applies for all versions of Pinnacle Studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8QfFhLBXiE 

Yes I have thanks. However, like most of his videos, it is really just a starting point and most of what he shows is obvious (to someone who has used P&Z in other software). I guess I'd need the next level tutorial if any such thing existed!

Also, his version of Studio's Pan & Zoom has several items missing that are in PS22. For instance, there is now an extra edit mode called "On The Fly" though I have no idea how to use this.

Also there are new options in the P&Z "Animated" mode which are not present in his video. Namely, Countdown (on/off) and two buttons that are labelled Start & End. While these may seem obvious (?) I can't see what they do.

My biggest wish is for an easy way to copy the P&Z coordinates from one clip all in one go and paste them into a different P&Z clip. Or have PS22 match the end and start coordinates of two adjacent clips like it did in PS12.

At the moment I can copy the Zoom, Horizontal and Vertical coordinates one at a time from one clip and paste them one at a time into another - going back and forth from one clip to the other in order to copy-paste-copy-paste...

Only by doing this can I have the start coordinates of clip B match the end coordinates of Clip A.

The manual for S22 does not appear to cover any of the new items in Pan & Zoom and only tells you the same basics as in the video tutorial.

•  09-17-2019, 16:01 788507 in reply to 788504

Why don't you make your pictures by using PS12 and then make an AVI file (or whatever format you need) and then just import your file into PS22.
  •  09-17-2019, 16:27 788508 in reply to 788507

R_Vera:
    Why don't you make your pictures by using PS12 and then make an AVI file (or whatever format you need) and then just import your file into PS22.

Yes that could be done but the reasons why I'd prefer to use PS22 exclusively include...

(1) In theory the PS22 Pan & Zoom is a lot more sophisticated than PS12. Among other things, it has smooth motion options and "ease in/out" options to make the P&Z movement less abrupt.

(2) PS22 retains image quality very well compared to PS12. In PS22 you can do quite large magnification of an image or video with no noticable quality loss while PS12 becomes very grainy when you zoom in. I don't know why this is, I guess it's just advances in image rendering.

(3) PS22 can handle my mp4 video files and my enormous image files very well while PS12 struggles with both.

(4) Render time. PS22 can render 30 minutes of footage in less than 5 minutes for me. PS12 is nearer 30 minutes render for 30 minutes footage.

(5) I bought PS22 with the intension of not reinstalling PS12 next time I reinstall or upgrade my system.

I've gotten into trouble on this forum before for suggesting certain parts of PS22 are fiddly (or "clunky"). I feel this is another example. A great feature made too fiddly. I have however found a way to get good results with P&Z - it just takes longer than it should and needs far too many steps.

•  09-23-2019, 1:43 788678 in reply to 788508

On page 125 here, usage of Pan and Zoom is covered.  http://help.pinnaclesys.com/pinnacle/v23/en/user-guide/pinnaclestudio.pdf .  But I assume you've seen that already.   

True, On-the-Fly mode is not covered there.  We will work on some updates to the manual, to better describe its use. 

As I understand, your requests / reports:

1. Request:  Copy Pan and Zoom settings from one clip to another.  Actually, you suggested something like 'match previous,' but an alternate idea:  what if we had "Pan and Zoom->Copy" (and Paste) when right-click the pink line above the timeline clip?  I see that this is not available, at least in the PS23 version I'm using here.  

2. Request:  Copy and Paste a keyframe from one clip to another. 

3. Setting keyframes works reasonably well, but going back to edit their values usually yields unpredictable results, so it's easier to just delete PnZ and start over.   We'll investigate and work on fixing that. 

Did I miss anything?

•  09-23-2019, 7:37 788690 in reply to 788678

glus:

Did I miss anything?

I think you understood me spot on! However...

1. I'm not sure about the copy from the pink line idea. It would only be useful (in my scenario) if it copied the last frame (or last keyframe) only. If it copied the whole "effect" then it wouldn't help me. It has to have the ability to copy the last keyframe setting and paste that setting into the start of a different clip.

2. Weirdly, Copying keyframes from one clip and pasting them into a NEW keyframe in a second clip can be done already. However, there is no option to paste into the FIRST keyframe. You can only copy from a starting keyframe in the P&Z editor - not paste into it.    

3. Re the "unprdictable results". I now think this is caused by a bug which led me to misunderstand what was going on. Explaining it isn't easy! Please (try) to follow these steps...

A. Place a still image on the timeline and use the right-click option to enter Pan & Zoom.

B. In animated mode copy the first keyframe and paste it anywhere along the P&Z timeline. This holds your starting position for as long as you want before movement begins.

C. Now attempt to move your newly created keyframe by dragging it. In PS22 I find that I cannot move a P&Z keyframe by dragging it. Instead it disappears. I have only seen this happen in the P&Z editor. Other keyframe editors allow you to drag a keyframe to a new postion. P&Z removes the keyframe if it is dragged. Is this a bug?

If you still have the first keyframe setting saved in your clipboard then you can instantly recreate the removed keyframe in a new postion. However, if you copy the first keyframe again (even if it WAS already in your clipboard) and then paste it to create the keyframe again, the settings of the new keyframe do not match the first keyframe. The settings in the new keyframe magically change to something (seemingly) random.

If you have deleted a keyframe by dragging it there is no going back. The only way to solve this is to exit to timeline and remove the P&Z effect and then start again. (Or - of course - avoiding dragging the keyframe)!

Hope all this has made some sense. But now that there is a PS23 I don't suppose this will ever be fixed in PS22?

•  09-26-2019, 15:09 788883 in reply to 788504

thirly:
    For instance, there is now an extra edit mode called "On The Fly" though I have no idea how to use this.

Also there are new options in the P&Z "Animated" mode which are not present in his video. Namely, Countdown (on/off) and two buttons that are labelled Start & End. While these may seem obvious (?) I can't see what they do.

Use them on a video and not a still image. What they do will be more obvious to you.

•  09-26-2019, 15:19 788884 in reply to 788690

1. Okay, understood.  C-P keyframes from clip to clip, and without the limitation in (2).

2. The starting keyframe has slightly different properties, part of our keyframe implementation.  We're working through some issues with that and should have it fixed soon. 

3. Thanks for the steps on the Unpredictable Results.  Confirming those here and will add to the bug.  

- Yes, disappearing keyframes when dragging is a bug, and as I recall, an intermittent one. I'll PM you with some ideas, after I discuss a little with a developer. 

•  09-26-2019, 16:06 788889 in reply to 788883

saby:

Use them on a video and not a still image. What they do will be more obvious to you.

Ah right. I've only used P&Z on still images so far. For instance, I often take 180 or 360 degrease panned photos on my stills camera. In S22 I pan across the image for a panorama effect. Also needs zoom to fill the full screen.

I really like that S22 can zoom (enlarge) a still image without much loss of quality. Pan & Zoom in S12 goes grainy when zoomed in even just a little way and, in fact, is often blurry during the P&Z movement.

•  09-26-2019, 16:14 788890 in reply to 788884

glus:

1. Okay, understood.  C-P keyframes from clip to clip, and without the limitation in (2).

2. The starting keyframe has slightly different properties, part of our keyframe implementation.  We're working through some issues with that and should have it fixed soon. 

3. Thanks for the steps on the Unpredictable Results.  Confirming those here and will add to the bug.  

- Yes, disappearing keyframes when dragging is a bug, and as I recall, an intermittent one. I'll PM you with some ideas, after I discuss a little with a developer. 

Just in case you don't realise. The end keyframe also currently has no option to paste into it, only to copy or delete it.

I had not initially realised that the disappearing keyframe "feature" was a bug. I thought it had been programmed that way, so that dragging it would delete it. Audio keyframes on the timeline work that way and that has always been by design going way back. I assumed P&Z was designed likewise.

Being able to drag the keyframes to reposition them would sure make life much easier when fine tuning a P&Z effect.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy