Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Building a project in pieces

Last post 09-09-2019, 11:07 by saby. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-08-2019, 13:28 788183

Building a project in pieces

As a year progresses I like to create various short projects including photos, videos and audio, with effects. Then, after the end of the year, I'll create a project containing photos and videos taken throughout the year, with added audio and effects. This 'annual project' will include the elements of the previously created shorter projects plus many more elements.

To include a previously created project in a new project, I have, in the past with PS15, tried creating an MPG2 or MP4 file, which I've then brought into the new project. This always seemed to loose a noticeable degree of quality (from re-rendering, I presume). I eliminated this quality loss by, instead, opening a previously created file, selecting all elements. then Edit/Copy, then opening the new project I was creating and, with the timeline slider in the desired position, Edit/Paste. This successfully added everything to the new project, including effects, without any loss in quality.

Having recently moved from PS15 to PS20 I tried this same copying from one project and pasting into a new project and it works (though I'm not certain yet about which tracks the pasted elements end up on)., I'm wondering if this is the best way or if there is better way of accomplishing this. 

Thanks in advance for suggestions. 

•  09-08-2019, 13:36 788184 in reply to 788183

Re:Building a project in pieces

In PS20, you can add a project directly to the timeline of another project. It becomes a subproject of the main project.

Open the library, search for Projects category, drag'n'drop the thumbnail of a project to the timeline.

You now have what looks like a clip, with a grey background. Double-click it and a new user interface will open, showing up the content of the subproject. Any modification in this nested interface is applied to the grey clip.

The subprojects behave like normal clips. You can modify their location, apply any effect (it will be applied to all their content), any transition, ...

No quality loss at export because you're always working with source assets.

•  09-08-2019, 14:07 788186 in reply to 788184

Re: Re:Building a project in pieces

Ahhh...merci, tres bon!

I tried that and it works very well. Is there any way to 'expand' this added 'project clip' so you can see it's individual pieces? 

•  09-08-2019, 14:42 788189 in reply to 788184

Re:Building a project in pieces

I thought I had already replied to this question.

saby:
    Double-click it and a new user interface will open, showing up the content of the subproject. Any modification in this nested interface is applied to the grey clip.

Big Smile 

•  09-09-2019, 11:03 788211 in reply to 788189

Yes you did reply, my apologies for not reading more carefully. I have tried this and it works as described.

After a few days working with PS20, I do not know why I waited so long to move from PS15 (2 years after I purchased PS20!). It is very different, but better. 

•  09-09-2019, 11:07 788213 in reply to 788211

I'm sure you would say the same about PS23.

Not very different than PS20, but way better. For example the way it handles nested projects has been greatly improved. It's now based on tabs above the timeline and not on nested interfaces that have to be opened/closed.

https://youtu.be/AfYmJa1DEWc?t=111

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy