Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Smartsound issue

Last post 1 hour, 25 minutes ago by fidel47. 64 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (65 items)   1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-27-2019, 13:06 787628

Smartsound issue

Bit of a problem here. Just updated Sonicfire Pro 6.0 to 6.4. When I went to test it with Studio 23, the symbol for Smartsound was gone. It was there earlier and had worked earlier. Is anyone one else having this issue?
  •  08-27-2019, 13:17 787629 in reply to 787628

Betreft: Smartsound issue

Hi John,

I have the same problem here!

Wiel

•  08-27-2019, 13:35 787633 in reply to 787629

Re: Betreft: Smartsound issue

Wiel Gulpen:

Hi John,

I have the same problem here!

Wiel

Thank goodness. Someone else has the problem. Thought I was losing my mind !! If it is a technical issue, it can be fixed, and I am sure it will be 

•  08-27-2019, 13:40 787634 in reply to 787629

Same here...

SonicFire Pro 6.4 does not appear to work with any version of Pinnacle Studio (legacy or new, 32 bit or 64 bit - observed here with PS15, 16, 19, 22 and 23); the Smartsound tool disappears from Studio.

To restore the Smartsound tool it was necessary to uninstall SFP 6.4 and reinstall the earlier version (in my case SFP 6.1.6). However, that doesn't completely "repair things":

• Smartsounds start working again in 32 bit versions of Studio (15, 16) with no further action needed
    • But still not working in any 64 bit version of Studio - to get it working again it was necessary to uninstall and reinstall one of those versions (I chose to uninstall/reinstall the latest one (23) - uninstalled and reinstalled the program only (did not touch the standard/bonus content). After doing that, the Smartsound tool was available again in all 64 bit Studio versions (19, 22 and 23)

I have sent an email to Smartsound tech support advising of the issue.

Regards,
    Richard

•  08-27-2019, 14:09 787635 in reply to 787634

I saw the update, and the lure of 64bit was enticing. But I didn't update.

Smartsound tech support is pretty good. Use it and get back with what they've come up with. 

•  08-27-2019, 14:23 787636 in reply to 787634

culpanr:

Same here...

SonicFire Pro 6.4 does not appear to work with any version of Pinnacle Studio (legacy or new, 32 bit or 64 bit - observed here with PS15, 16, 19, 22 and 23); the Smartsound tool disappears from Studio.

To restore the Smartsound tool it was necessary to uninstall SFP 6.4 and reinstall the earlier version (in my case SFP 6.1.6). However, that doesn't completely "repair things":

• Smartsounds start working again in 32 bit versions of Studio (15, 16) with no further action needed
    • But still not working in any 64 bit version of Studio - to get it working again it was necessary to uninstall and reinstall one of those versions (I chose to uninstall/reinstall the latest one (23) - uninstalled and reinstalled the program only (did not touch the standard/bonus content). After doing that, the Smartsound tool was available again in all 64 bit Studio versions (19, 22 and 23)

Regards,
    Richard

Thanks Richard. Hope there is a quick response. Little strange since Smartsound was really pushing the fact that it was 64 bit 

•  08-27-2019, 18:18 787656 in reply to 787635

So far, all they have come up with is to download 6.1.6, Being fat dumb and happy, I did so ...and it won't open. Stay tuned.

Update; did get it to open, but as stated in another post, will not work with Pinnacle.Am not too keen on uninstalling Studio 23 (Ultimate) to get this lesser version running so I think I will wait for the people at Smartsound to fix the problem. 

•  08-27-2019, 23:35 787665 in reply to 787628

Re: Smartsound issue

I have the same issue. This is why this forum is so good! Thanks to all that contribute here! 
  •  08-28-2019, 9:02 787690 in reply to 787635

Always knew you were a smart man Tony...this proves it. Despite my age, I still have a tendency to leap ahead. Let's hope a little of this sinks in for me this time.
  •  08-28-2019, 14:48 787722 in reply to 787690

Nah... not that smart. SS is working and is vital to my editing. It's working just fine. The updates aren't that necessary for me, except the 64bit. But then, SFP never stressed the computer at all.

I also have it for Vegas Pro, but haven't done it yet for that either.

I sent Frank an email about the Pinnacle problems experienced with a link to this post. He hasn't gotten back to me. Must be pretty busy....

ADDED: Frank saw the link. He said he is looking into the problem and will post in this thread if they come up with anything.

•  08-28-2019, 16:21 787734 in reply to 787722

Tony P:

Nah... not that smart. SS is working and is vital to my editing. It's working just fine. The updates aren't that necessary for me, except the 64bit. But then, SFP never stressed the computer at all.

I also have it for Vegas Pro, but haven't done it yet for that either.

I sent Frank an email about the Pinnacle problems experienced with a link to this post. He hasn't gotten back to me. Must be pretty busy....

ADDED: Frank saw the link. He said he is looking into the problem and will post in this thread if they come up with anything.

Great. I'll keep checking. Thanks again Tony 

•  08-30-2019, 9:49 787811 in reply to 787634

culpanr:

Same here...

Regards,
    Richard

Richard,

Squinted my eyes, crossed my fingers and uninstalled Studio 23. Reinstalled it this morning and it works with the earlier version of Smartsound,  just like you said.  I will wait until I get some feedback from wiser heads than mine on the operation of 6.4 before I download again..

Thanks again for the tip. 

•  09-03-2019, 0:05 787935 in reply to 787811

I did a system restore to before the install of the new SFP update 6.4, and the icon is showing again........I didn't reinstall any of my Studio programs.  Studio 16 & 19 are also showing the SS icon again.

robert

•  09-03-2019, 9:53 787942 in reply to 787935

I think I’m running with SS 6.1.3.0.  What was the lure for so many of you guys to jump on SS VER 6.4 only to have new and pretty(?) bite you in the you know where?   And why in the world doesn’t everyone (well can’t expect everyone but after this experience many more will) backup their boot drive (not just a Windows restore) before installing seemingly critical s/w?  If you don’t want to spent money for Acronis or other, Macrium Reflect Free works well.

Good Luck, 

•  09-03-2019, 18:44 787953 in reply to 787942

Disagree. Smartsound has been pretty reliable with their updates. I've been a SFP user since v4, many many years ago. This is the first version that hasn't quite worked. I'm still on 6.1.6.

As I posted above, SS is aware and are working on getting things "right". 

So tell us, how long to "back up" a 1TB hard drive?

•  09-04-2019, 10:30 787978 in reply to 787953

Tony P:

Disagree. Smartsound has been pretty reliable with their updates. I've been a SFP user since v4, many many years ago. This is the first version that hasn't quite worked. I'm still on 6.1.6.

As I posted above, SS is aware and are working on getting things "right". 

So tell us, how long to "back up" a 1TB hard drive?

Tony, I agree SS has been stable for quite awhile.  Ask yourself if you really care about those new features.  

As for back up time for a 1TB HD. I'm pretty sure you know all this but allow me to say anyway.  

1. Other than “My Documents”, your boot Partition should only have applications, not have ANY MEDIA.  Application files compress well.

2.  While you could use differential or incremental backup methods to save time, I prefer to do full backups at max compression.  We could argue advantages and disadvantages of the methods but I like a single image.  Size is 96 Gb.  

3.  I’m hard pressed to believe/understand how you can fill up your boot partition with ONLY Programs to the extent of it occupying even a 1TB and I mean you will tell me you use all of those programs often to justify they being installed at all let alone onto the boot drive.  

Yes, I consider size my backup up image, time to backup and restore and risk of creating a large backup image managing boot drive accordingly to mitigate risk.  I have NEVER experienced a failed restore!  And I have never had to restore Windows to return to baseline after a crappy s/w installation.  I can’t come up with a valid excuse not to backup a boot partition.  

Allow me to give you an analogy and this is a true short story - I knew a guy who who not change engine oil in his car every 10,000 miles (this was in the 1960's - petroleum based - not synthetic)l not every 3000 mi or whatever was recommended.  His reason was that he did not want the drain plug to get stripped when doing it so often.  And this guy was a fellow Electronics Engineer.  Different strokes for different folks.

4.  Also, I use MS Synctoy to effectively backup all partitions (drives) where I have media folders.  Syncing to external drives 

Anyone who does not backup their boot drive enjoys reinstalling Windows or constantly trying to clean out remnants of programs after finding they are not working as desired never to really know if your gotten back to where you were before the Ah ***!  That’s what I heard from those who ran to install 6.4 and BTW I have chatted with Frank at Smartsound many a time.  He is a great guy and the company supports their product.

•  09-04-2019, 16:44 787999 in reply to 787978

To each their own when it comes to new features. What you might like, others, not so much. Also with incremental updates are things that get fixed that "you" might not experience, but others do.

Your suggestion of a "boot partition" while in theory is good, but in practicality for the majority of uses, doesn't exist. So it's back up everything or nothing. 

Your suggestion on filling a boot partition of 1TB with basically programs, well, that's "you". If you game, ever see the size of those games? And there are a host of other programs out there. I have several NLE's, photo editors, sound editors, DAW's, etc...

I have never needed to restore to a backup in all the years I've been involved in computing. Never restored Windows either. And I don't install "crappy software". I would not consider Sonicfire Pro "crappy" software either. 

I use Revo Pro to uninstall software if I have to. Works like a charm finding all the "bits and pieces".

As for installing SFP6.4, it's not unrecoverable, and I bet it can be done in less time than doing an image restore of 1TB, not a Win boot partition.

•  09-04-2019, 18:43 788004 in reply to 787999

Tony P:

To each their own when it comes to new features. What you might like, others, not so much. Also with incremental updates are things that get fixed that "you" might not experience, but others do.

Your suggestion of a "boot partition" while in theory is good, but in practicality for the majority of uses, doesn't exist. So it's back up everything or nothing. 

Your suggestion on filling a boot partition of 1TB with basically programs, well, that's "you". If you game, ever see the size of those games? And there are a host of other programs out there. I have several NLE's, photo editors, sound editors, DAW's, etc...

I have never needed to restore to a backup in all the years I've been involved in computing. Never restored Windows either. And I don't install "crappy software". I would not consider Sonicfire Pro "crappy" software either. 

I use Revo Pro to uninstall software if I have to. Works like a charm finding all the "bits and pieces".

As for installing SFP6.4, it's not unrecoverable, and I bet it can be done in less time than doing an image restore of 1TB, not a Win boot partition.

Tony, to close out this thread, last things first. -

Don't know where you concluded that I said SS is "crappy."  I think I may have been in close contact with Frank years before most people on solving issues (not everyone experienced my issue of course but Frank worked through it all - a great guy and company!). 

My point about taking an UPDATE to s/w that I consider complex/core s/w in my life, that integrates closely with other important applications, is I must protect myself from "unforeseen issues" that could evolve.  Yes, we take different risks.  No matter the time, I first take an Acronis backup image and then could care less what happens! 

Next, I expected you to return saying that you have multiple NLE's and other programs that fill up to 1TB of your multi-TB-SSD/HD.  However, those who don't partition HD's to "isolate" and separate media, pictures, projects and you name it should or will learn in time that it foolish NOT to do so.  Yep, I would expect you know that and do partition your system.  And BTW: Both MiniTool Partition and Macrium Reflect FREE versions are every much as good as the products I have PURCHASED. So, it ain't cost that is a hindrance, its ignorance.  I hope others get to read this.  Again, I expect that you know all.  Seriously, it is a complement.

I don't have ANY games on my PC.  I have quite a few high end applications and perform multiple non-related tasks.  No way will I ever need to reinstall Windows on this PC and NO I will not upgrade to Windows 10 although incidentally I have a Windows 10 Pro, fully licensed copy as a VMware virtual module that I keep current.  I use it as my test bed.  When done, I delete the folder, and in a few min, restore that Acronis folder that also happens to have a WinXp module for so s/w product I have.

I will ALWAYS have a Backup - at least every month.  Even if I my PC could not boot to Windows, and I did have such a problem that was intermittent (hate those) that was positively resolved, I would first boot with WinPE, copy off those few data files that changed between backups, restore the boot drive with latest image, copy back those few data files including my Outlook folder and I was alive again AND to DATE!. 

If you tell me you never had a situation where Windows would not boot. I'll believe you because I've known you here at the PS forum for a long time but share with me your next step, without having ANY backup image tell me the steps you took or would take to return to your last boot with all your critical s/w settings, and how you made that PC yours?

In closing (really) - while I am pleased with my SS SFP Ver 6.1.0.3, when you guys report that Frank reports 6.4 is fixed, if I care to experiment, you know what I will do first.  Time means nothing.  Reinstalling Windows is not my pleasure.  Having to scrutinize my system (and registry) AFTER using Revouninstaller is something I have done but at times prefer the tried and true way to return to where I was - restore my boot partition.

Tnx,

•  09-06-2019, 7:15 788099 in reply to 788004

iraisok:

Don't know where you concluded that I said SS is "crappy."  I think I may have been in close contact with Frank years before most people on solving issues (not everyone experienced my issue of course but Frank worked through it all - a great guy and company!).

Frank is great guy and SS is a great company. "Crappy" comes from your post where you said "crappy s/w installation" in reference to installing a program that causes problems requiring a re-image. That would be SS6.4  according to your standards.

My point about taking an UPDATE to s/w that I consider complex/core s/w in my life, that integrates closely with other important applications, is I must protect myself from "unforeseen issues" that could evolve.  Yes, we take different risks.  No matter the time, I first take an Acronis backup image and then could care less what happens!

Nothing wrong with working like that.

Next, I expected you to return saying that you have multiple NLE's and other programs that fill up to 1TB of your multi-TB-SSD/HD.  However, those who don't partition HD's to "isolate" and separate media, pictures, projects and you name it should or will learn in time that it foolish NOT to do so.  Yep, I would expect you know that and do partition your system.  And BTW: Both MiniTool Partition and Macrium Reflect FREE versions are every much as good as the products I have PURCHASED. So, it ain't cost that is a hindrance, its ignorance.  I hope others get to read this.  Again, I expect that you know all.  Seriously, it is a complement.

I used to partition my hard drivers. Then I ran into problems with space, and will always run into that problem as new programs, etc. are added. How many backups is necessary? 1? 2? Your image/backup drive can also go belly up. "Foolish"? Really? Calling someone that if they don't do it your way? I haven't partitioned any hard drives for years, as I am sure many others have not too, without incident. That is not saying something "could" happen. Hoping others get to read this and read your comments on how "foolish and ignorant" they are because they haven't done it your way, I am sure will convert the unconverted. Calling people "foolish and ignorant" is never considered a compliment, ever.

With the low cost of USB backup harddrives with easy to use software installed, it's easy to back up important folders/files. Easy. 

I don't have ANY games on my PC.  I have quite a few high end applications and perform multiple non-related tasks.  No way will I ever need to reinstall Windows on this PC and NO I will not upgrade to Windows 10 although incidentally I have a Windows 10 Pro, fully licensed copy as a VMware virtual module that I keep current.  I use it as my test bed.  When done, I delete the folder, and in a few min, restore that Acronis folder that also happens to have a WinXp module for so s/w product I have.

See? You don't have ANY games on your PC. So that is "you". Others are not "you" and have different needs, requirements and also different computer skill levels than you or I. 

"I will ALWAYS have a Backup - at least every month.  Even if I my PC could not boot to Windows, and I did have such a problem that was intermittent (hate those) that was positively resolved, I would first boot with WinPE, copy off those few data files that changed between backups, restore the boot drive with latest image, copy back those few data files including my Outlook folder and I was alive again AND to DATE!."

That is "you" again. I have built custom PC's for businesses and have had to network their entire PC clusters and set up servers, including running ethernet. That was my business. How many people here are capable of doing that? To me, "easy". To others, impossible. This is a consumer editing group, not an IT group that edits. Most people have a laptop or store bought desktop running Win10 because that is all that comes installed. Win7 will have zero support in 2020. WinXP? How many people today actually us it that are in this forum? And since both XP and Win7 are EOL, how will "average" consumer know what to do to protect themselves? Most don't know how. And for most people, the software they use won't run on XP, so point is mote.

If you tell me you never had a situation where Windows would not boot. I'll believe you because I've known you here at the PS forum for a long time but share with me your next step, without having ANY backup image tell me the steps you took or would take to return to your last boot with all your critical s/w settings, and how you made that PC yours?

With each new computer build that I do for myself (every 2 or so years), I reinstall Windows on a clean hard drive and begin installing the programs that I need to work with immediately. I do this because I have upgraded everything and M.2's, NVME's, SSD's, etc have gotten faster, so I want my software on new media. I slowly go through the old HD and wind up not reinstalling a lot of things. As for Win not starting, I don't remember a time when it didn't start. But then, I'm not the average computer user. And if it did happen, it would be no big deal for me to reinstall Windows and what I use.

In closing (really) - while I am pleased with my SS SFP Ver 6.1.0.3, when you guys report that Frank reports 6.4 is fixed, if I care to experiment, you know what I will do first.  Time means nothing.  Reinstalling Windows is not my pleasure.  Having to scrutinize my system (and registry) AFTER using Revouninstaller is something I have done but at times prefer the tried and true way to return to where I was - restore my boot partition.

Going through the registry on a Revo uninstall is fairly quick for me. I guess it comes from me doing REL file editing back in the day on C64 9060 hard drives putting files back together after being fragmented all over the place. As you said, time means nothing... if I have to reinstall Windows, it's not the end of the world, at least for me, and I know that all the "stray" files/registry entries, etc will be gone with a fresh new install. We all have our preferences. And I will install 6.4 when things are done. Frank and I go back many years along with me doing some "things" for Smartsound. The company and Frank are, as you have said, great. I've been a SS/SFP user since 2002. When Pinnacle decided to drop SS support in Studio, I was a part of the rebellion that voiced our thoughts on this, which eventually led to a SS plugin being made and available at a cost.  SFP, with all it's customization features now available for PS users as a plugin, is vital in my editing workflow. I look forward to seeing what new features are added. They never add "fluff" for the sake of an update.

•  09-06-2019, 10:17 788104 in reply to 787628

Tony,

Few final comments.

Thanks for sharing your operations through the years and slicing your responses to my points and how I operate.  Yes, if I jumped on SFP 6.4 as others had, had I learned of the update I, too would have been in the same boat.  But, trust me, I’d be back to 6.1.0.3 in 40 min and closely follow the threads at PS and immediately contact Frank, too.  I guess the reason I hadn’t “gotten bitten” is my last serious PS production (as I prefer to call them for all I put in) was my grandson Bar Mitzvah late last year so I hadn’t been running it since 6.4 was released. 

My need for WinXp, that is both an embedded module, as you know a feature of W7 Pro and Ultimate, was to maintain a commercial s/w product I have had since the early '90s never worth rehosting on W7 but got it run in any Windows OS as they were released.  When I learned about VMWare Player (nope, not a game) that hosts ANY OS, I installed and licensed Win 10 Pro to remain current and assist my daughter (and others) as her new PC of course has W10 and since it was easy installed WinXp for that other reason, if needed.

I laugh at fear instilled by MS when they warn W7 support will end in 2020, the same sort of warning about WinXp years ago that my wife’s older Dell had.  End of Life of the OS is not the same as End of My Life.  It NEVER posed a problem on her PC with security measures I take.  I won’t argue with you about things that could happen.  Again, never experienced an issue while my wife’s PC had WinXp.  Yep, I have since did a clean install of W7 x64 in her Pc but that was to conform with some s/w apps I run such as yet another unsupported product MS OFFICE PRO 2007.  I also have used MS Office 2016.  That's an example of change s/w to make people think it’s better that 2007 but it ain’t.  Not a topic for PS.  There is no way my PC will see Win 10 as it’s native OS.  There is absolutely no advantage (for me or this PC) to run Win 10.

Thanks for your PS volunteer support... as I also recognize and thank thank Yann, I know others help as I on occasions.

Have a great weekend!

•  09-08-2019, 3:57 788154 in reply to 788104

Win10 is needed for new hardware. That was my reason for going to it. My wife's computer is Win7, but I might migrate it to Win10. I prefer Win7 though. But time marches on.

Security issues are real, and if someone doesn't know what to do (and there are more than plenty), getting Win10 might be their only option. 

My next computer build will take advantage of more cores/threads than I have. 

We all have different needs and skill sets when it comes to using computers and editing. I do a lot of editing and also beta test software for US Army, along with other software companies. Keeps the grey matter active.

•  09-18-2019, 13:31 788539 in reply to 787628

oldman1:
    Bit of a problem here. Just updated Sonicfire Pro 6.0 to 6.4. When I went to test it with Studio 23, the symbol for Smartsound was gone. It was there earlier and had worked earlier. Is anyone one else having this issue?

Just got a note from SS (Frank) saying that they have a pre-release for 6.4.1, and giving me a link to download it. Also, some instructions on what to do if it does not work. Has anyone else received this note ? If so, can I let you be the guinea pig this time and let us all know what happens? I am in the middle of something and reluctant to risk a problem with it . Thanks all 

•  09-19-2019, 9:42 788574 in reply to 788539

Betreft: Re: Smartsound issue

Hi folks,

I did not uninstall the previous installed version 6.4 and then downloaded the update version 6.4.1.

First it wouldn't execute. Then I renamed the downloaded file to a .exe file.

The update was installed.

After updating I started Smartsound normally (not administrator).

Then I started Pinnacle Studio 22 normally (not administrator).

The Smartsound icon appears in Studio 22.

It all functions. I can send music to Pinnacle!

But the version number of Smartsound is still 6.4.0 and not 6.4.1.

Greetings,

Wiel

•  09-19-2019, 9:56 788575 in reply to 788574

Re: Betreft: Re: Smartsound issue

Back from Africa.

Installed 6.4.1 and installation went fine. I did install as Administrator. I also do this with Pinnacle.

Tested with 20, 21, 22, and 23.

With PS20, not running as Administrator, SS failed to launch from within PS20. Error message that SS could not be launched. After running as Administrator, all went as it should.

Mind you, I use SFP6 full and have not tested Mood Mapping, Hit Files, and editing the music from within SFP and sending it to the timeline. 

But basic functions seem to be working fine.

Now, those with 32bit versions of Pinnacle, I've heard SS does not work. That might be because it is now a 64 bit program.

•  09-19-2019, 9:58 788576 in reply to 788575

Re: Betreft: Re: Smartsound issue

Thanks to all. Working fine for me this morning.
Page 1 of 3 (65 items)   1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy