Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Transitions explained in PS23U still not updated.

Last post 08-20-2019, 9:16 by Tony P. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-15-2019, 2:19 787077

Transitions explained in PS23U still not updated.

Hi,

Just bought PS23U and find that how to do a transition is still not updated in the manual. It was not updated in PS22U. Some time ago I found a guy on the internet who showed this very clearly, but can not find this now. Does anyone know of a video that shows this in details? I never used PS22U and went back to PS21U, as I thought it was easier in that program to do transitions. However I now find PS23U very good and stable and would like to learn this and how use it.

Thanks for any assistance.

Tony 

•  08-15-2019, 5:23 787083 in reply to 787077

Re: Transitions explained in PS23U still not updated.

You do know that you can use it the "old" way....In Setup>Control Panel>Project Settings, you have 2 choices... Maintain timeline sync or overlap clips.
  •  08-15-2019, 5:37 787085 in reply to 787083

Aha there it was. Now I am happy. Thank you very much for this information.
  •  08-15-2019, 16:18 787119 in reply to 787083

Tony, I think this Control Panel Setting in PS 22 at least, only applies to 'Fades' (dragging start/end of clips), as far as I have been able to determine Transitions and Ripples of Fades/Transitions cannot be forced to overlap the clips.

Transitions and Ripples always Maintain Sync, so much trimming is necessary to achieve good video and audio when using for example .m2ts files and to avoid repeat playing if using 'scenes'. 

•  08-15-2019, 18:36 787125 in reply to 787119

I don't fully understand.

I took a clip. Chopped it up and resized the chopped bits so that the drummer would be "off beat" at the edit points. I used NBFX  Light Blends>Glow Pro>Gauze and rippled the transition to all the cuts in the clip. Rendered and it played back as it should as far as I can tell.

•  08-16-2019, 10:27 787168 in reply to 787125

FYI - in PS22.3, adding a transition by dragging from the library or by "rippling" an existing one already on the Timeline would always add it in "Maintain Sync" mode, regardless of the setting in Studio's control panel. It was therefore only possible, when using "overlap clips" mode to create some transition that wasn't a fade by first dragging the clip corner to create an "in" or "out" fade transition and then dragging the desired transition from the library and dropping on top of that fade transition to replace it.

The behaviour has been corrected in PS23; dragging a trantition from the library and dropping on the join between clips, or rippling an existing transition now respects the control panel setting - so the transition(s) being created will always be of the same kind as is defined there ("maintain sync" or "overlap clips").

HTH
    Richard

•  08-19-2019, 21:02 787343 in reply to 787125

Sorry for the delayed response.  I had been trying to come up with a clearly worded explanation. 

However, I think Richard has explained the problem more succinctly than I could.  The issue had been raised with Corel and it appears to be fixed in PS23 so I guess it's time to upgrade and hopefully the PS22 projects can be opened and completed OK in PS23.  This Transition issue has made the workflow on large projects very slow due to the additional manual trimming required to get smooth video and audio' transition' between clips, particularly those with motion and high sound level variations.

NOTE: Splitting or chopping the clip as in your test would make no difference as the clip is basically unchanged through the Transition.

Regards

Chris C

•  08-20-2019, 2:34 787351 in reply to 787343

Traveller:

NOTE: Splitting or chopping the clip as in your test would make no difference as the clip is basically unchanged through the Transition.

The clip is changed. I used a clip with a drum beat. Trimming and moving things around does change what is transitioned.

•  08-20-2019, 5:35 787356 in reply to 787351

Oh, sorry I didn't realise you had trimmed the clip.

Quick examples would be:

In PS22.3, add a 10 second clip to the Timeline (with Transition Mode = Overlap Clips and Timeline = Insert Mode).  Then:

T1 - Split the clip and add a 2 second Transition.  The timeline remains at 10 seconds; there is no overlap.

T2 -  Add an IN or OUT Fade (by dragging the corner of a clip to create a 2 second Fade).  The Timeline is shortened to 8 seconds: the clips are overlapped.

At the point of the cut, trim 1 second off the start of Part B and close the gap.  When you now add a Transition, Part B is stretched back so its starting point in the Transition is now earlier than the end of Part A.  This causes a re-play.

In my case someone walks up to a fence and through the Transition they walk up to the fence again.

I hope this makes sense, as I said difficult to put into words, at least for me.  It looks like Corel has responded to the ticket raised and fixed it in PS23, thankfully for Ripples also.

Regards and thanks.

•  08-20-2019, 9:16 787363 in reply to 787356

Attachment: PS22 Trans.jpg

I am familiar with how transitions work in PS22. I just used the additional tracks and never had a problem. 

Yes, when PS changed to keep the timeline in sync (as if that was a real problem to begin with), that's when people were having problems. The solution? Use different tracks. 

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy