Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

.MOV files support

Last post 08-03-2019, 15:40 by saby. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-22-2018, 20:28 773117

.MOV files support

Did a forum search for .MOV and did not see anything recent.  Almost all the footage I shoot is with my iPhone.  For all of the greatness that PS has, I just don't understand why it can't handle these files well.  Even if I convert them to mp4 which does not always code properly, the footage does not compare to other footage that is natively mp4 or wmv.

As a long time user, the #1 feature request would be to have a good workflow with MOV files that does not have any degradation.  I am using 21.5 now, and it does just about everything I need.  MOV support would be the reason I would ever upgrade.  So maybe someday.

Thanks 

•  10-23-2018, 1:03 773127 in reply to 773117

Re:.MOV files support

My PS21 has no problem working with MOV files from an iPhone 8.
  •  08-03-2019, 14:52 786738 in reply to 773117

Re: .MOV files support

The .mov extension (incase you don't know) is a wrapper.  a .mov can be all manner of things inside, so getting a free program like "mediainfo" will let you know what format the file is within the .mov file.

However, with all that said, I'm more than happy to back you up by saying that .mov support needs an overhaul.  I have Pinnicle Studio 22 Ultimate and it's very hit and miss, even though the file type within the .mov is supported.

Currently, importing .mov files entails me first trying the drag and drop.  If it fails, I then use the media import tab and "find media".  That often works, but again, it is hit and miss, so when that doesn't work, I change the .mov extension to .mp4 , then I drag and drop, usally with no probems.

I have .mov files that are apparently encoded using quicktime too, but Pinnacle tells me I need Quicktime installed in order to open these files.  I find it very frustrating as Quicktime hasn't been supported on Windows 10 for sometime now and there is no way to open these files in Pinnicle unles I re-encode them to another format.  I've used a few video editting pacakges and only in Pinnicle, have I found "quicktime" is required to open these files.

I personally feel that Pinnacle needs to rethink the whole .mov support.  They should either not support it at all, or provide a better import feature where it tells the user about the files wrapped within the .mov, whether they are supported and also, offers the user to convert them to another format in order for them to be compatible with either a user's project or Pinnicle Studio in general.

•  08-03-2019, 15:40 786742 in reply to 786738

Re: .MOV files support

1 post almost 2 years ago and OP never bothered coming back. I doubt he will ever read your message.

producer_ben:

However, with all that said, I'm more than happy to back you up by saying that .mov support needs an overhaul.  I have Pinnicle Studio 22 Ultimate and it's very hit and miss, even though the file type within the .mov is supported.

Currently, importing .mov files entails me first trying the drag and drop.  If it fails, I then use the media import tab and "find media".  That often works, but again, it is hit and miss, so when that doesn't work, I change the .mov extension to .mp4 , then I drag and drop, usally with no probems.

I have .mov files that are apparently encoded using quicktime too, but Pinnacle tells me I need Quicktime installed in order to open these files.  I find it very frustrating as Quicktime hasn't been supported on Windows 10 for sometime now and there is no way to open these files in Pinnicle unles I re-encode them to another format.  I've used a few video editting pacakges and only in Pinnicle, have I found "quicktime" is required to open these files.

I personally feel that Pinnacle needs to rethink the whole .mov support.  They should either not support it at all, or provide a better import feature where it tells the user about the files wrapped within the .mov, whether they are supported and also, offers the user to convert them to another format in order for them to be compatible with either a user's project or Pinnicle Studio in general.

I mostly agree with you but you already complained about it in this thread : http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/thread/786619.aspx

Please, do not multi-post.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy