Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Pinnacle Studio 22 and HEIC Files

Last post 08-01-2019, 2:18 by iraisok. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-30-2019, 12:21 786673

Pinnacle Studio 22 and HEIC Files

I realized that when I imported some photos into a project it missed 15 of them. Ah, all were HEIC files which is the current Apple choice of photo file format.

I'm wondering if this is a limitation or if there's something I can do to get them recognized (in another thread about .mov files it claims that Studio can see them). Originally my Windows 10 computer couldn't view HEIC files natively but I downloaded a Microsoft created CODEC from the Windows store for that. I'm wondering if, because that happened after Pinnacle Studio was installed it doesn't know about that.

In the meantime I can batch convert them to JPEG and move on but I wondered if anyone had anything to add.

Andy 

•  07-30-2019, 14:01 786675 in reply to 786673

Re: Pinnacle Studio 22 and HEIC Files

It's basically, as you said, an Apple format that is really not widely accepted at the moment.

If you read Pinnacle's website, it says for images:

Graphic: JPS, BMP, GIF, JPG, PCX, PSD, TGA, TIF, WMF, PNG, J2K

•  07-30-2019, 14:45 786676 in reply to 786675

Thanks Tony. Google forums are full of people mad that Google dared give them their photos back in the same format they were on their iPhone which made me chuckle.

There isn't even native support on Windows 10 without the add on so I'm not surprised.

Andy 

•  07-30-2019, 14:57 786677 in reply to 786675

Tony P:

It's basically, as you said, an Apple format that is really not widely accepted at the moment.

Not an Apple format but a container file standard created by the MPEG group. The HEIF for High Efficiency Image File Format is defined in MPEG-H part 12 standard. It allows storing still images or videos.

The 2 main extensions are .heif and .heic.

It is unlikely in the immediate future that Corel will add it in Studio, but when the day comes, if this format becomes more common, they will certainly do it.

Apple has decided when implementing this format to dedicate .heic to image storage and .heif to video storage.

•  08-01-2019, 2:18 786701 in reply to 786677

saby:
    Tony P:

Not an Apple format but a container file standard created by the MPEG group. The HEIF for High Efficiency Image File Format is defined in MPEG-H part 12 standard. It allows storing still images or videos.

The 2 main extensions are .heif and .heic.

It is unlikely in the immediate future that Corel will add it in Studio, but when the day comes, if this format becomes more common, they will certainly do it.

Apple has decided when implementing this format to dedicate .heic to image storage and .heif to video storage.

Want a free converter for .heic?  https://www.copytrans.net/copytransheic/

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy