Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Effect to keep an object centralised?

Last post 06-26-2019, 5:52 by thirly. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-25-2019, 14:58 785943

Effect to keep an object centralised?

My scenario:

I have a clip of a distant building (about 1 mile away) which I zoomed into by about 20x. Because my camera was hand-held on a breezy day I struggled to keep the building centralised. The scene is not "shaky" because my camera has very good stabilization but the building

which is supposed to be in the centre wavers left and right several times throughout the clip by a distance of about quarter way from centre of the screen and back to centre as I desperately tried to stay steady.

I've tried using New Blue stabilizer and the built in Pinnacle stabilizer but neither can keep the building centralised. The reason for this is probably due to one particular fact... the building is a windmill with its sails going round!

This causes havoc with the stabilizers on some settings as they attempt to track the sails which keep passing over the centre of the building. I have not found a setting that can handle this situation.

Is there another effect or settings in Studio 22 that can force the centre of a clip to stay in the centre throughout a whole clip? (I realise this would mean a certain amount of zooming/enlargement to avoid borders showing up).

Ideally I'd like a setting where you can pick any object (or part of the sceen) at any point within a clip and basically tell Studio to keep that object exactly where it is in relation to the edge or centre. Basically, an after effect to turn my wavering hands into a fixed position tripod!

•  06-25-2019, 16:20 785945 in reply to 785943

Re: Effect to keep an object centralised?

None that I'm aware of. The only suggestion is to keyframe
  •  06-25-2019, 20:43 785949 in reply to 785943

A suggested alternative that may work depending on your requirements.

If the clip is long enough and the centralised sections are fairly consistent you may be able to make a cut where the wandering starts and again where it ends ends and delete that portion (may only be a few frames).  Close the Gap.  If necessary, adding a short fade may smooth the join where the portion is removed.

•  06-26-2019, 5:52 785951 in reply to 785949

Traveller:

If the clip is long enough and the centralised sections are fairly consistent you may be able to make a cut where the wandering starts and again where it ends ends and delete that portion (may only be a few frames).  Close the Gap.  If necessary, adding a short fade may smooth the join where the portion is removed.

Yes, this can work in some cases and and it can be done without anybody noticing if the frames match at each side of the cut. I've done it in the past but it is very rare you get a 100% match due to something else moving in the shot. In this particular scenario the sails going around on the windmill prevent a "clean" cut or quick crossfade without the edit being very obvious. And, to be honest, in this case, my wandering camera was more than just a "few" frames - more like a few seconds!

As Tony said, key frames using pan and zoom effect (or 2d editor) works well enough but it takes time to do it. I actually do it quite often as I do a lot of filming from a moving boat. But I asked about an automatic effect for this sort of scenario in case I was missing something that had been added to Studio since my previous version (S12). It wouldn't be the first time I'd spent hours doing someting manually that Studio 22 now does in seconds.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy