Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

USING ATOMOS SHOGUN FLAME .

Last post 06-25-2019, 14:27 by Tony P. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-24-2019, 10:48 785911

USING ATOMOS SHOGUN FLAME .

I have not bought Pinnacle Systems 22 yet, I have used previous versions but have upgraded all my equipment and have added a ATOMOS SHOGUN FLAME to my equipment. Will Pinnacle Systems support the CODECS available from ATOMOS . they are ProRes, DNxHD and Cinema DNG. Aparently there is also an AVID codec available from Atomos, but Pinnacle does not support it ???
  •  06-24-2019, 12:54 785915 in reply to 785911

Re:USING ATOMOS SHOGUN FLAME .

The answer is no.
  •  06-24-2019, 13:25 785918 in reply to 785915

Re: Re:USING ATOMOS SHOGUN FLAME .

"IF" Pinnacle plans on moving up to "enthusiast/prosumer" editing, it will have to embrace the codecs the OP posted.

Especially considering something like BMD Cinema 4K Pocket Camera and it's cost. 

Just my opinion....

•  06-25-2019, 4:39 785925 in reply to 785918

Let me explain my Atomos question.

I have been running various versions of Pinnacle for the past 20 years , upgrading as needed, normally pushed that way through technology improvements. I started filming with cannon PD150,s then the PD170,s and  eventually moved on to HDV with theSony HDR-V1E’s.

Pinnacle is way more powerful than most users realise, and with careful planning when you shoot you can get exceptional results, I tend to stay with what I have for as long as I can because on each change you need to go through a learning experience.  My Sony’s are now past 12 years old , I know them backwards .. ( I have 4)   but the mechanical mechanisms are now starting to pack-up, replacing heads does not make sense ,  So off camera recording I thought would be the answer… Enter ATOMOS, I went to a dealer …. Explained my thought process which is basically extend the life of my cameras , and ultimately start getting ready to move to 4k…. I was first sold the ATOMOS NINJA INFURNO ….. Off home I went , was easy to setup…. But kept on flickering … and in record mode this caused a new scene ……Contacted ATOMOS , they even wanted a short video to show the problem which I did ….. they came back to me and said the HDMI port on the unit was faulty .

Went back to the shop , we tested two new units, on three equivalent cameras , still the same , so it was not the unit …. It is just not compatible with something in this model camera. So out came a ATOMOS SHOGUN FLAME,fantastic !!!!!   well so I thought …. Now I could not get it to record with a trigger from the camera ….. we tried everything and all possible settings but no luck…… Contacted ATOMOS again, this time I called them …. They sent me a mail explaining where I need to look, still nothing !!!, the unit has a remote port , I ask the ATOMOS support clown about this …. He cant help me , little information on the web…….OK….. so now I was happy and had made peace with the fact I would need to invoke recording from the front panel on the ATOMOS unit.

Problem Solved ??? noway ……… ATOMOS only supports a few Codec’s which are only found in afew limited high end editing packages …… so I did a few investigations, these turned out to be third party fixes ….. The expense of now changing to a new editing package,, the frustration of getting to know the working and work around on issues is just not worth it ……..

So it seems as if t he ATOMOS units are just nice to have and have little value in my game …..They are not money savers unless all the equipment you already have is compatible with the ATOMOS products …. They seem to work with a few select vendors and only focus on the high end market where there is an exceptional budget for gadgets.

The Idea of "off camera" recording and monitor is good, unfortunately it is often impractical,

ATOMOS support suck’s big time , with technical issues  - flip chart organogram support centres do not work….. My decision now is and I am at peace with it …… Buy new cameras ,upgrade pinnacle to V22.. and carry on as normal. And bless my cotton socks that I did not end up with a lot of moss !

In closing …. I use what ever I have  to the fullest, I made a living out of what I have by knowing it absolutely backwards and spending the money where it makes adifference.  

•  06-25-2019, 4:51 785927 in reply to 785928

To ATOMOS or NOT !

Let me explain my Atomos question.

I have been running various versions of Pinnacle for the past 20 years , upgrading as needed, normally pushed that way through technology improvements. I started filming with cannon PD150,s then the PD170,s and  eventually moved on to HDV with theSony HDR-V1E’s.

Pinnacle is way more powerful than most users realise, and with careful planning when you shoot you can get exceptional results, I tend to stay with what I have for as long as I can because on each change you need to go through a learning experience.  My Sony’s are now past 12 years old , I know them backwards .. ( I have 4)   but the mechanical mechanisms are now starting to pack-up, replacing heads does not make sense ,  So off camera recording I thought would be the answer… Enter ATOMOS,

I went to a dealer …. Explained my thought process which is basically extend the life of my cameras , and ultimately start getting ready to move to 4k…. I was first sold the ATOMOS NINJA INFURNO ….. Off home I went , was easy to setup…. But kept on flickering … and in record mode this caused a new scene ……Contacted ATOMOS , they even wanted a short video to show the problem which I did ….. they came back to me and said the HDMI port on the unit was faulty .

Went back to the shop , we tested two new units, on three equivalent cameras , still the same , so it was not the unit …. It is just not compatible with something in this model camera. So out came an ATOMOS SHOGUN FLAME,fantastic !!!!!   well so I thought …. Now I could not get it to record with a trigger from the camera ….. we tried everything and all possible settings but no luck…… Contacted ATOMOS again, this time I called them …. They sent me a mail explaining where I need to look, still nothing !!!, the unit has a remote port , I ask the ATOMOS support clown about this …. He cant help me , little information on the web…….OK….. so now I was happy and had made peace with the fact I would need to invoke recording from the front panel on the ATOMOS unit.

Problem Solved ??? noway ……… ATOMOS only supports a few Codec’s which are only found in a few limited high end editing packages …… so I did a few investigations, these turned out to be third party fixes ….. The expense of now changing to a new editing package,,,, the frustration of getting to know the working and work around on issues is just not worth it ……..

So it seems as if t he ATOMOS units are just nice to have and have little value in my game …..They are not money savers unless all the equipment you already have is compatible with the ATOMOS products …. They seem to work with a few select vendors and only focus on the high end market where there is an exceptional budget for gadgets.

The Idea of "off camera" recording and monitor is good, unfortunately it is often impractical,

ATOMOS support suck’s big time , with technical issues  - flip chart organogram support centres do not work….. My decision now is and I am at peace with it …… Buy new cameras ,upgrade pinnacle to V22.. and carry on as normal. And bless my cotton socks that I did not end up with a lot of moss !

In closing …. I use what ever I have  to the fullest, I made a living out of what I have by knowing it absolutely backwards and spending the money where it makes adifference.  

•  06-25-2019, 4:57 785928 in reply to 785925

Sorry to hear of your experience with Atomos.

What cameras have you considered as replacement? There is so many out there now that work with Pinnacle.

But still, having "pro" codecs will improve the chance of a prosumer considering Pinnacle and will also separate Pinnacle from the "consumer" editing programs out there. 

•  06-25-2019, 5:02 785929 in reply to 785928

Re: To ATOMOS or NOT !

I've personally been quite happy using Panasonic cameras over the last few years. Before that, Canon. They all record to SD cards which makes file transfers easy using a card reader or directly plugging the camera into the computer USB port.

The level of quality in shooting with the Panasonic cameras is great. UHD 4K, 1080HD with lots of features to help in getting the best recordings possible.  There are the camcorder style ones, and the mirrorless hybrid camera ones (I use G9, G7, FZ300).

As for the codecs Atomos supports.... they've positioned themselves to appeal to the "pro" users out there who do use the high end editing software.

•  06-25-2019, 6:08 785930 in reply to 785929

Threads merged.

Why did you open a new one ?

•  06-25-2019, 7:56 785931 in reply to 785930

Threads merged, quite simple..... the same answer was an explanation of the reason I posted with also an experience with a product. 
  •  06-25-2019, 8:07 785933 in reply to 785928

Tony P:

Sorry to hear of your experience with Atomos.

What cameras have you considered as replacement? There is so many out there now that work with Pinnacle.

But still, having "pro" codecs will improve the chance of a prosumer considering Pinnacle and will also separate Pinnacle from the "consumer" editing programs out there. 

I am seriously looking at the Panasonic AG-UX180 , issue with this is I need  three One for "A" roll and one for "B" roll  and one for backup.... most places I shoot are in the bush and  away from any support, I am not talking about 50km-100km... often 300km-500km away from any meaningful support , a reasonable amount of my work is filming foreign clients on Safari in Africa …. AKA Hunting, and in this sort of environment it is easy to have a camera damaged ….. although to-date we have not lost one camera yet.

DSLR is just not an option , way to many fiddly bit to adjust when you doing run and gun type shooting or being on foot all day …….. what is surprising is that the dedicated video cameras are similar in price to a similar DSLR camera  , but now you still need to buy the rigs, lenses . mikes etc etc ……..

With this ATOMOS experience I have learnt a lot … and now make no assumptions  that it will work ….. the Panasonic stuff seems like the way to go...…. 

•  06-25-2019, 14:27 785942 in reply to 785933

I've been shooting with DSLR style cameras for a few years now. It's second nature to get what I want when I want it, but there was that learning curve. A buddy of mine uses the Panasonic HC-X1000 I believe, the sort of "consumer" version of the camera you are looking at. He shoots corporate and docu with it. I think he likes it...

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy