Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Syncing clips using Trim with Shift+T or Shift+click

Last post 06-04-2019, 9:32 by thirly. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-04-2019, 6:30 785394

Syncing clips using Trim with Shift+T or Shift+click

I have two questions regarding what I call the "keeping in sync" mode in S22. By this I mean the function which is enabled by pressing Shift+T or Shift+Click on a trim point.

(1)  Is there a one-click function or a single key shortcut to enable the Shift+T function. I realise pressing shift is not a big deal... except I keep forgetting to do it! There are so many Ctrl+, Alt+, Shift+ qualifier combos in S22. Its easy to forget which one to use, or to use one at all,

and if you haven't noticed that you forgot it can sometimes be quite a while before you realise a whole track (maybe way along the timeline) has gone out of sync.

(2) I was stumped when I first attempted to use the Shift+T function (or Shift+Click on a trim point) because I could not get clips on other tracks to be selected as described... so that all tracks would move in sync when trimming was performed.

After tearing my hair out for several hours [this is a lie - I have no hair] I eventually found that Trim+T only works if all open tracks have at least one clip (of any sort) on them. If any open track is completely empty, Shift+T does not work.

I now always place a blank title at the start of every newly opened track and this solves the problem, but am I missing something here? Or is this a function, feature or bug? If it is by design, then it seems a bit strange to me because,

by default, any new project starts with several empty tracks yet I can't find any documentation that says you must either remove empty tracks or add something to all open tracks for the Shift+T function to work.

•  06-04-2019, 8:06 785396 in reply to 785394

Re: Syncing clips using Trim with Shift+T or Shift+click

The second part of you post - having to have all the tracks occupied - is definitely a bug. If there are empty tracks, Shift Click doesn't work. I have reported it. I tend to delete unused tracks rather than put a place holder on the them.

As for forgetting to hold down shift, there are many times when I want to use the yellow trim on a single track (it is the best way to get frame accuracy), so that's a case of not being able to please all of the people all of the time....

However, you might find that disabling "set trim points by clicking near cuts" in the Project settings section of the control panel will swap the behaviour of the Trim icon and it will set multiple points without holding down shift. It used to in 21 and earlier, I can't currently test it on the machine I have with me as it has the standard version of 22 installed.

•  06-04-2019, 9:32 785399 in reply to 785396

Re: Syncing clips using Trim with Shift+T or Shift+click

jjn:

The second part of you post - having to have all the tracks occupied - is definitely a bug. If there are empty tracks, Shift Click doesn't work. I have reported it. I tend to delete unused tracks rather than put a place holder on the them.

Yes, I am getting into the habbit of deleting the empty tracks. It doesn't come naturally though having been used to the fixed tracks in old Studio for 19 years! Old Dog - new tricks.

jjn:

However, you might find that disabling "set trim points by clicking near cuts" in the Project settings section of the control panel will swap the behaviour of the Trim icon and it will set multiple points without holding down shift. It used to in 21 and earlier, I can't currently test it on the machine I have with me as it has the standard version of 22 installed.

I can confirm (with some suprise) that the Trim button bahaviour is reversed by disabling that setting. As you say however, the ability to click a trim end point on single track is then made awkward and (for me) that is a bigger loss than having to remember to press shift once in a while.

It's a shame there doesn't seem to be a configurable shortcut for Shift+T.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy