Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Audio "locking" to video

Last post 06-10-2019, 9:37 by JamesD1957. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-01-2019, 12:41 785349

Audio "locking" to video

Hello,

I've been gone for awhile, but I'm back creating a movie.  I've gotten a bunch of old 8mm home movies, 3" reels, about 3 1/2 minutes on each, obviously, silent.  As I'm going through I'm discovering that my father had a lot of different things on each reel, so I'm trying to more or less make chronological sense out of these.  It's a labor, but a labor of love.  Here's where my question comes in.  I've added some audio along the way.  When I need to insert a video clip (not in the middle of a current audio clip) the audio doesn't stay "locked" with the video I've paired it with.  Is there a way to make sure if I move a video clip, or insert a clip, that the audio I've added stays with its own video clip or clips?  Hopefully this is clearer than mud.  Thanks!

•  06-01-2019, 13:05 785350 in reply to 785349

Re: Audio "locking" to video

What version of Studio are you using, and are you using Smart editing mode? In later versions, adding a clip from the Library to the timeline in Smart mode will not disrupt the sync between tracks.
  •  06-01-2019, 14:54 785352 in reply to 785350

Sorry about that....I'm using Studio 17 Ultimate.
  •  06-01-2019, 14:57 785353 in reply to 785350

Also, I don't think I'm using Smart editing mode.  What I've been doing is importing clips, dropping them on the timeline, and editing them down.  I add my audio to the track directly below (SmartSound) and when I "stretch" the audio clip, it does seem to know when it hits the end of any video clip.  It's almost like a magnetic draw.
  •  06-02-2019, 3:30 785358 in reply to 785353

Attachment: Smart mode.jpg

In Studio 17, you know when you are in Smart mode by looking at the drop down icon at the end of the timeline toolbar - see the screen shot..

In Smart mode in that version, if you drag a clip from the Library and drop it onto a multi track timeline, all the tracks will move out the way of the inserted track, but once it is there if you try to move it around you will loses sync (this was fixed in later versions). So in 17, you need to create gaps in the timelines in order to reposition clips once you have added material to other tracks

The behavior your describe is called magnetic snapping - it is truned on and off with the magnet icon on the timeline toolbar

•  06-02-2019, 11:15 785366 in reply to 785349

The easiest way I have found, is to hold Shift+Ctrl and click on the video to the right of the insert point and move everything to the right.

When things have been inserted and edited, repeat Shift+Ctrl and move it back to correct position. 

•  06-02-2019, 13:12 785368 in reply to 785366

Basically the same way to perform editing while keeping it in sync, but be sure to put the timeline in overwrite mode beforehand. 

http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/post/784973.aspx

•  06-10-2019, 9:37 785624 in reply to 785368

Thanks for all the help guys.  It's amazing how fast you forget things when you're away for awhile!  It still seems really complicated to me, so I ended up just deleting all of the audio, getting all of my video in place and trimmed, and then adding the audio back in.  It's not TOO painful when using Smartsound.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy