Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

.movie suffix in exported files

Last post 05-04-2019, 6:01 by thirly. 16 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-01-2019, 6:27 784375

.movie suffix in exported files

In S22, everytime I export a project as a movie/video file (.mp4 etc) the file's title is saved like this...

myholiday.movie.mp4

Is there a way to stop ".movie" from being part of the title other than having to remember to remove it from the title myself every single time I export?

My reason is that some programs in Windows 10 and my external media player look for the FIRST full stop (or period) and assume everything after it is the file extension (or video format).

And of course they do not recognise .movie.mp4

•  05-01-2019, 6:45 784376 in reply to 784375

Re: .movie suffix in exported files

None that I am aware of. I've personally used a separate different name for the finished video than the project name, where I have many incremental saves.
  •  05-01-2019, 7:32 784377 in reply to 784375

Re:.movie suffix in exported files

thirly:

Is there a way to stop ".movie" from being part of the title other than having to remember to remove it from the title myself every single time I export?

No other way than renaming the file before exporting.

•  05-01-2019, 10:36 784378 in reply to 784377

Re: Re:.movie suffix in exported files

In Win10 (or any win), see if you can assign “.movie.mp4” as a file extension to the program with the issue.  I’m not on my computer now to know, for sure, if that is possible.  

Next, please tell me the program name you have that has has the issue, that was INCORRECTLY designed.  Yes, it is that other program that is not following a standard, not PS.  I would like to experience this, possibly see if it offers some option ... to help you.

•  05-01-2019, 10:48 784381 in reply to 784378

You're right Ira, but there is no obvious reason why Studio adds .movie in the file name when auto-naming is used.

•  05-01-2019, 11:34 784382 in reply to 784378

Associating the files so they can be double-clicked isn't a problem. I have .mp4, .mpg etc assigned to play in Zoom Player and it works fine so I'm sorted there. But my JVC TV and my WDTV media player ignore the files if they have "two" extensions.

I have a batch file that will rename  ".movie.*"  into ".*" (and the likes of Lupas Rename can also do this also).

So I can work around the problem (if it can even be called a problem) but I was hoping I'd missed a setting in S22 that allowed the .movie part to be removed automatically so I don't have to keep remembering to do it. I don't want .movie in the title of all my video files.

I notice that the manual tells you that all projects will be saved as .axp when in fact they are saved as .movie.axp. Maybe that is helpful to some people?

But there's no need to add .movie to the final export file - it is obvious to all of us that an mp4, mpg, avi etc is a movie (aka video). Win 10 even tells you these are video files in the Type column in Explorer if associations are set up right.

If you download from the likes of YouTube their videos don't have .video (or whatever) in every title. 

It bugs me that if you go into the export tab (in S22), remove .movie from the title, then go back into edit, then go straight back into export,  .movie has been put back into the title.

Also, if you save (or "save as") a project it adds .movie into the file name - when in fact it is not a movie - its a project!

Its no big deal and I'm aware that I'm whinging here but I don't ever remember any other program using "filename.extension1.extension2" (without the ability to change it).

I'm sure somebody will come up with a huge list though! Smile

•  05-01-2019, 12:03 784383 in reply to 784382

thirly:

It bugs me that if you go into the export tab (in S22), remove .movie from the title, then go back into edit, then go straight back into export,  .movie has been put back into the title.

That's due to the auto-naming feature => by default export name = project name.

And for a movie, project name includes .movie :

•  05-01-2019, 12:04 784384 in reply to 784383

•  05-01-2019, 12:36 784385 in reply to 784382

AW: Re: Re:.movie suffix in exported files

thirly:

Also, if you save (or "save as") a project it adds .movie into the file name - when in fact it is not a movie - its a project!

That's a movie project and the ".movie" makes the difference to a - legacy - disc project.

•  05-01-2019, 14:29 784391 in reply to 784383

saby:

That's due to the auto-naming feature => by default export name = project name.

And for a movie, project name includes .movie :

Well! I think I found how to force the export tab NOT to have .movie in the file title but only on single project and not automatically for every project. And, the solution takes longer than simply renaming the exported file!

I renamed the shortcut icon for a project by removing .movie from its name in Explorer. In S22 when trying to load that project I was prompted to relink it (because the file name had changed).

At that point I expected .movie to be added back in but it wasn't.

I loaded the relinkled project into S22 and resaved it, Studio did not re-insert .movie.

Also, when I went to the export tab the output name also did not contain .movie.

So, it can be done - but it's not worth the bother.

•  05-01-2019, 15:07 784392 in reply to 784391

thirly:

So, it can be done - but it's not worth the bother.

Yes. Spending 3 hours in a workaround to avoid a 3 seconds action is not a good deal ! Stick out tongue

•  05-02-2019, 4:59 784412 in reply to 784378

iraisok:

Next, please tell me the program name you have that has has the issue, that was INCORRECTLY designed.  Yes, it is that other program that is not following a standard, not PS.  I would like to experience this, possibly see if it offers some option ... to help you.

I forgot to reply to this question, sorry.

One program I was/am unable to use in the way I want due to the .movie.mp4 issue is VideoRedo V4. I can load files into it OK but I cannot do batch work on them. VideoRedo re-saves all the .movie.mp4 files without any extension at all. In fact it does the same when you save a single .movie.mp4 file - you end up with no extension. So, somewhere along the line I am forced to remove the .movie part of the name, whether it is in Studio during export (easiest to do but also easiest to forget to do) or in Explorer or in VideoRedo (but can't be done there when doing batch operations on the files).

So, what I've been doing; because I was exporting dozens of small clips (I won't go into why), is to export them from S22 without removing .movie (because I kept forgetting) and then run a batch renamer in Explorer to get rid of .movie from all the files (this only takes a few seconds).

In any case, I don't need to do this any more (for now) because I have completed all the clips.

•  05-02-2019, 9:47 784424 in reply to 784412

thirly:
    iraisok:

I forgot to reply to this question, sorry.

One program I was/am unable to use in the way I want due to the .movie.mp4 issue is VideoRedo V4. I can load files into it OK but I cannot do batch work on them. VideoRedo re-saves all the .movie.mp4 files without any extension at all. In fact it does the same when you save a single .movie.mp4 file - you end up with no extension. So, somewhere along the line I am forced to remove the .movie part of the name, whether it is in Studio during export (easiest to do but also easiest to forget to do) or in Explorer or in VideoRedo (but can't be done there when doing batch operations on the files).

So, what I've been doing; because I was exporting dozens of small clips (I won't go into why), is to export them from S22 without removing .movie (because I kept forgetting) and then run a batch renamer in Explorer to get rid of .movie from all the files (this only takes a few seconds).

In any case, I don't need to do this any more (for now) because I have completed all the clips.

The single most interesting point about your response is, the application you use where you have the problem, VideoRedo TVSuite V4 is one I am also registed with and use occasionally.  It is very unique and has some useful features in the video world, specifically, frame accurate editing.  The publishers (three guys, one in the UK and two in the USA) respond to questions quickly and in detail.  I understand your need has disappeared since you’ve completed the project.  I never needed to use video output from PS as input to VRDTVS.  I might run a test to explore the dilemna.  If I learn anything, I will return.

•  05-02-2019, 14:06 784431 in reply to 784424

iraisok:

The single most interesting point about your response is, the application you use where you have the problem, VideoRedo TVSuite V4 is one I am also registed with and use occasionally.  It is very unique and has some useful features in the video world, specifically, frame accurate editing.  The publishers (three guys, one in the UK and two in the USA) respond to questions quickly and in detail.  I understand your need has disappeared since you’ve completed the project.  I never needed to use video output from PS as input to VRDTVS.  I might run a test to explore the dilemna.  If I learn anything, I will return.

Yes I agree, the VideoRedo guys are always helpful and I frequent the VideoRedo forums but the program is now on V5 so there is no solution for my V4 issue. I do not know if the problem still exists in the newer version but I have no wish to buy V5 to find out.

I use VideoRedo TVSuite V4 mainly for 3 reasons, all of them connected with batching of small video files (usually containing music montages)...

(1) VRD has a good volume normalizer for clips containing only music. (2) VRD is a very quick and easy way to add the same intro and outro sequence to all clips using batch instruction instead of having to add the intro and outro to each clip individually in S22.

(3) My WDTV media player has always suffered in one particular way when playing video created in Pinnacle Studio (all versions of Studio that I've owned). That is, the WDTV sometimes displays in the wrong aspect ratio or will momentarily jump from 16x9 to 4x3 at certain points in the video, such as at crossfades or effects, in particular HFX transitions. Somehow, the WDTV (which is now 5 years old BTW) "reads" and displays those effects as 4x3 instead of 16x9. I do not know if other video editors will cause this to happen, I only evver use Pinnacle Studio.

However, I found out a long time ago that if I load the PS created clip into VRD and re-save the file (without any changes at all), the video does not jump to the wrong aspect ratio on my WDTV. Apparently VRD does something to the header info in the clip.

This was why I first installed VideRedo (v2) many years ago, advised by someone on this forum who had the same issue. VRD is a very useful program even though I am not really using it for what it is primarily intended for!

•  05-03-2019, 2:50 784442 in reply to 784431

I actually do have VRDTVS V5.  I did not have the time to test the issue today, hopefully tomorrow. Thank you for sharing how/why you like it.
  •  05-03-2019, 20:16 784457 in reply to 784442

Hello Thirly,

Here are my results:

Installed VRDTVS Ver 4 into Win 10 Pro.  Renamed any ole .mp4  from my collection (that I created using PS).  Changed file name to "test.movie.mp4."  It opened fine in VRDTVS Ver 4 and Ver 5 in Win10 Pro and in Win 7 Ultimate.  The blue title bar shows the file name as 'test.movie.mp4.'  .

If you wish to dig further or I've not simulated what you experienced, get back with me.  I am able to run very controlled tests in Win 10 Pro since it is installed as a VM using VMWare.  After tests I restore Win 10 Pro to the state it was in a few minutes just prior to the test.

•  05-04-2019, 6:01 784469 in reply to 784457

I’ve now tested a few scenarios in VRD4 in an attempt to describe the issue (which of course is just a minor annoyance rather than a serious problem).

Using the Joiner function in VRD. For test purpose I added the same clip to the joiner twice. It had a filename of test.movie.mp4. In this scenario VRD4 fills the Save dialog box with the filename test.movie and removes the .mp4 part of the original extension. Of course this can be altered manually but this is why I originally asked the question if Studio can be configured to automatically NOT add .movie into the filenamme the first place.

Actually, the easiest example of this is just to load a file into VRD4 then go straight to the normal save dialog. Again, VRD drops the last part of the “double extension” and will save the file with only a .movie extension. This will be corrected if you have more than one profile set up in the save dialog and you switch to one of those profiles. This is because as soon as you choose a different profile the filename changes to the correct extension (as set in the profile). But VRD will have the wrong extension if you do not change to a different profile in the save dialog or if you only have one profile.

When using the Batch Manager, all files are saved with the same filename they already had (unless you manually change each one in the Batch Editor). This means you still end up with .movie.mp4 but VRD is not at fault here.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy