Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

pinnacle squished images on video!

Last post 05-05-2019, 12:09 by anon125. 33 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (34 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-27-2019, 14:02 784265

pinnacle squished images on video!

Attachment: pin setup.JPG

our older discs we made have audio and video ts files.

what settings must we have made them with. the normal disc lasted 1 hour.

I just made a mini video and the square images (polaroids) were very narrow.

any ideas?

is the 50i and 60i for UK and US? which is which?

tried a DVD setting and it only played in the computer not in the dvd player connected to the TV. 

thanks all 

•  04-27-2019, 15:04 784267 in reply to 784265

Re: pinnacle squished images on video!

anon125:

our older discs we made have audio and video ts files.

what settings must we have made them with. the normal disc lasted 1 hour.

I just made a mini video and the square images (polaroids) were very narrow.

any ideas?

is the 50i and 60i for UK and US? which is which?

tried a DVD setting and it only played in the computer not in the dvd player connected to the TV. 

thanks all 

50i is for the UK .  60i is for the USA.  Project Format: Click "Set from first clip..."  Tell us if that solves the problem..

•  04-27-2019, 15:20 784268 in reply to 784265

The settings to control what kind of disc you want to create are under the "make movie" page - choose "Disc" from the tabs at the left and click the "Settings" button underneath the "Disc-o-meter" to see a dialogue like the one I've attached (came from PS15 but PS12 is pretty similar).

Some things to note:

• With "automatic quality" and a disc having less than 1 hour of video, Studio's video bit rate (7500 or 8500kbit/sec) can be too high for some older DVD players and could cause skipping/freezing - I normally choose custom settings and enter the video bit rate as 6000kbit/sec (there's very little improvement in picture quality in going from 6000 to 8500kbit/sec...).
    • For the choice of audio compression, in Europe all three offerings (PCM, MPA (MPEG-1 layer 2) and Dolby (2-channel and 5.1)) are all supported as standard by consumer DVD players; in the USA MPA is optional and a few older or low-end players might not support it. PCM audio is uncompressed, so takes a lot of space (probably unimportant if it's only a short video of less than an hour)
    • The Dolby 2-channel and 5.1 encoders have an issue with certain types of loud sound, and can turn the volume down in the created DVD (sometimes by a long way - up to 15dB - and the volume stays down (not like an auto-level control that recovers after the loud sound has passed))! For that reason I avoid Dolby and generally use MPA.

If you are making a (standard definition (720x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC)) DVD video, you might get better performance during the "Make Disc" process if the Studio project is also standard definition; especially if there are a lot of video effects or transitions (e.g. for 16:9  widescreen video choose "PAL Widescreen" or "NTSC Widescreen" according to your region and source video).

For the project settings you showed in your screen-grab, yes the 50i is for PAL (25 frames/sec, interlaced) and the 60i for NTSC (29.97 frames/sec, interlaced). If your source footage was shot in progressive mode, or if you're only going to view the DVD on a computer, you might get a smoother-looking playback by choosing "Prtogressive" settings (25p or 30p) for the project (e.g. "PAL Progressive Widescreen" or "NTSC Progressive Widescreen")

The comment about the "Polaroids" being squished and narrow - I don't understand it - are you referring to the thumbnails themselves in Studio's storyboard, or what has happened to a still-image you added to the project (appearing "squished" to fit it in the frame. If the problem is to do with still images, cropping them in an image editor such that they have an aspect ratio matching the project. For example an image from a DSLR (shooting 3:2 aspect ratio) might get squished to 4:3).

HTH
    Richard

•  04-28-2019, 12:51 784280 in reply to 784268

thanks guys

"the comment about the "Polaroids" being squished and narrow - I don't understand it  "  in the video editor we were very very tall and skinny, and the square polaroids were not square. the 50i 60i may have fixed that.

What is still needing solving is how i got widescreen videos  1920x1080 that lasted one hour on a normal disc.  to be played on a dvd player connected to the TV here in north america.  the files are audio and video ts

thanks 

•  04-28-2019, 15:56 784291 in reply to 784280

anon125:
    What is still needing solving is how i got widescreen videos  1920x1080 that lasted one hour on a normal disc.  to be played on a dvd player connected to the TV here in north america.  the files are audio and video ts
    You cannot get full-HD 1920x1080 on a DVD disc that is playable on a set-top DVD player; the video DVDs (with VIDEO_TS and maybe AUDIO_TS folders too) are standard definition (for North America (NTSC) the frame size is 720x480).

If you are wanting to make a video DVD that includes footage that came from a full-HD 1920x1080 source, start your new Studio project with "always start with this format" set as "NTSC Widescreen" (or "NTSC Progressive Widescreen" if all of your source footage was shot in progressive and/or you're only going to play the finished disc on a computer. Then, in Studio's "make movie (disc) settings choose to make a DVD and make any other adjustments to the settings if you need them.

Note: If you have a set-top Blu-ray player, you can make an "AVCHD DVD" that works somewhat like a Blu-ray disc but is burned onto a DVD disc instead (you can get an hour of reasonable-quality full-HD 1920x1080 video onto a double-layer 8.5GB disc, or around 20 to 30 minutes onto a single-layer 4.7GB disc).

Regards,
    Richard

•  04-28-2019, 18:49 784294 in reply to 784280

• BTW
    • i am using pinnacle studio 12.1 on a windows 7 laptop
    •  04-28-2019, 21:04 784299 in reply to 784294

"(for North America (NTSC) the frame size is 720x480)"

will that fill the screen on a big TV that is 1920 x 1080?

we only use regular discs - not double discs, as some players do not play them

thanks for your help 

PS is there anything i can see on the disc other than the ts files that would tell me the settings used? 

•  04-29-2019, 0:58 784302 in reply to 784299

anon125:

will that fill the screen on a big TV that is 1920 x 1080?

Yes, the TV will upscale the picture. Basically it will apply a zoom to it.

•  04-29-2019, 5:04 784304 in reply to 784299

anon125:
      PS is there anything i can see on the disc other than the ts files that would tell me the settings used? 
      Yes - use the free MediaInfo program to display the propertiies of the VTS_01_x.VOB files in your DVD's VIDEO_TS folder.

MediaInfo (its "tree" or "text" view) will show you lots of information about the file, including the video and audio data rates (though the video data rate may not match exactly with what was set in Studio's "Make Disc" settings), whether the video was progressive or interlaced, etc. There's a "tutorial" thread in these forums here - with a link to download MediaInfo and some screenshots giving the basics of how to use it.

Regards,
      Richard

•  04-29-2019, 10:15 784310 in reply to 784304

Attachment: mediastuff.PNG

Thanks guys.

what does this tell us? in english! what settings did i use to get one hour?

i used the biggest file i could find with mediainfo

thanks

•  04-29-2019, 13:06 784313 in reply to 784310

As requested by Richard use Tree or Text view and not Basic view in Mediainfo.
    •  04-29-2019, 16:32 784325 in reply to 784310

Even with only the sparse information displayed by MediaInfo's "Basic" view it is apparent that there is something strange (invalid) with that video file; the video data reported (18.4Mbit/sec) is way above what is supported by DVD players (and well outside the DVD-video specification). So hardly surprising that disc doesn't play on set-top players...

Studio's user interface shouldn't allow a video data rate higher than 8500kbit/sec to be entered - so the fact you ended up with such a strange data rate might indicate that there is some garbage in its "make disc" settings... one possibility is that Studio was unable to save the settings because it wasn't running with administrative rights (the "program compatibility appraiser" in Windows 10 knows about Studio and will grant those righrs automatically when Studio is installed (Studio's desktop icon should have a little shield in the bottom-right corner) - however older OS (Windows 7 & 8) might not do that automatically. So if you don't see a shield in the icon, and you don't get the "user account control" popup asking whether to allow Studio to make changes to the computer, you could assign that privilege manually (right-click Studio's desktop icon, choose "Properties" and on the "Compatibility" tabbed page add a tick to "Run this program as an administrator"

With regard to settings that would allow you to get 1 hour of video on a disc, try these for starters (see the screen-grab showing two of Studio 12's dialogues):

• In the "Make Disc" dialogue, choose the disc type as "DVD" and the quality/disc usage as "Automatic"
      • Then click the "Settings" button and make any necessary changes; the only things you may need to change are the setting for audio compression and whether to create the disc image but don't burn it on a disc
      • For audio compression, Dolby 2-channel should take up the least space - however you may encounter the issue I mentioned in a previous post; the volume may drop suddenly during a loud passage and not recover (the remainder of the disc remaining "too quiet"). If that bug bites, try the audio compression as Dolby 5.1 (however the volume bug may still bite) or as MPA, but if your audience's set-top players don't like those, as a last resort use PCM (takes the most space but should be 100% compatible with any DVD player)!
      • I would suggest choosing "Create disc content but do not burn"; after disc content is created you can review it by playing the VIDEO_TS folder using a media player such as VLC; once happy with the finished project you can burn a disc witrh Studio (choose "Burn from previously created content") or use third-party burning software such as ImgBurn, Nero, etc.

HTH
      Richard

•  04-29-2019, 18:56 784328 in reply to 784325

Attachment: pinnacle.txt

does the DVD setting play in dvd players connected to the television or only in computers?

as per request. here is the text file.

what does it tell us?

we use read write discs when prooving the file.

Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3  definitely NOT!

elsewhere it gets it correct Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9

thanks all

•  04-29-2019, 20:22 784329 in reply to 784328

it says 38% quality.DVD  we will see what it looks like.

thanks guys

•  04-30-2019, 5:12 784336 in reply to 784329

From MediaInfo's text dump, there is definitely something wrong with the file VTS_01_1.VOB; it is reported having an excessive average bit rate of 18.4Mbit/sec (and very short running time for a 1GiB file). The other .VOB files containing the menus and other parts of the movie seem to have realistic video bit rates.

I would be tempted to try deleting all auxiliary files and re-exporting the disc to see whether that solves the issue. Also try "making, and then undoing" a change to the "make disc" settings (confirms that Studio does accept and remember changes to the settings, also it might "flush out" any garbage that was in there...)

With regard to the "DVD" setting in Studio - that is a "top-level" control which defines that you are wanting to make a DVD-video (with VIDEO_TS folder structure), Studio can make several other kinds of disc too (AVCHD, Blu-ray, Video CD, etc.). And, within that "DVD" setting, you have the other setting options in the right-hand side of my screenshot (where you can set the video data rate, type of audio compression, whether to create and burn the disc in one go, etc.).

In many cases you can simply leave the quality/disc usage setting as "Automatic"; as you add more video beyond about 1 hour Studio will automatically reduce the video bit rate such that the content wouldn't overflow the chosen size of disc (whether 4.7GB or 8.5GB). For reference, what Studio shows as "100% quality" equates to a video bit rate of 8500kbit/sec. But from experience with an old set-top DVD player, 8500kbit/sec can be "too high" and result in skippy/jerky playbacxk - especially if the player's mechanism and laser are getting old and worn, or if using cheap & nasty unbranded or supermarket-brand discs that don't give a good burn quality. I would regard 7500kbit/sec as being a more realistic "maximum" - you'd be hard pushed to tell any difference in picture quality between 7500kbit/sec and 8500kbit/sec - and in many cases you could go lower (say to 6000kbit/sec) and still not see much (if any) difference...

HTH
      Richard

•  04-30-2019, 14:28 784353 in reply to 784336

I made one with DVD and aam hoping the low sharpness was due to the content

thanks for your help

•  04-30-2019, 15:44 784357 in reply to 784353

How long is your current movie?

If it's only 1 hour long, you ought to be able to achieve much more than "38% quality" (approx 3230kbit/sec); a setting that low ought to let you fit 2½ hours onto a 4.7GB disc. If you have got Studio set to "Automatic quality", check that the target disc size isn't wrong (for example set to 1.4GB (8cm DVD instead of 4.7GB (12cm DVD))... Yes, such a low bit rate could cause a lack of sharpness - especially where there's a lot of movement or fine detail in the shot.

If you look at the screen-grab in my earlier post you will observe that in the view in the left side of that screen-grab the "disc-o-meter" is shown as almost full (only 6 minutes spare) and that the quality is reported as 100%. If your video is only 1 hour long, you ought to be able to achieve just the same (the settings in the right-hand side of the screen-grab shows how I achieved it).

I have noticed on a number of occasions here that, upon first going to the "make disc" screen, the movie length and estimated amount of disc space used aren't shown correctly; whenever that happens I have to force the information to be refreshed by clicking the "Settings..." button and then clicking "OK" to close the settings dialogue (it is not necessary to make any change to the settings if they are already set up as you need them...).

HTH
      Richard

•  05-01-2019, 16:50 784397 in reply to 784329

Attachment: pin crash2.JPG

well the final video will have 5 videos in it - with a menu of course.

so i made a 12 minute test of just one (yes it will have to be a tad smaller.)

all it is is 12 minutes of random images.

when i try and make an avi file full screen DV or full screen Mpeg) it does not want to play.

any ifdeas?

thanks 

•  05-01-2019, 17:23 784400 in reply to 784397

The error text indicates that the "make file" process failed at the very start of the project (frame 0) - occupied by the first of those two strange clips that appear to have no thumbnail and have a yellow/orange background.

So my guess is that there is a problem with either or both of those clips (if I add things to a Studio 12 project here they always show the thumbnail and have a blue background - never orange). Please can you describe exactly what those clips are (if necessary give a recipe for how you created them). Knowing what they are, and how they were created may help others come up with suggestions for why they did not render and how to fix them.

Regards,
      Richard

•  05-01-2019, 19:28 784407 in reply to 784400

Thanks

Sadly i tried again with 6 random jpg pics.

same problem

•  05-01-2019, 23:47 784409 in reply to 784407

i suspect it is the computer that is the problem
    •  05-02-2019, 5:18 784414 in reply to 784407

anon125:
      Sadly i tried again with 6 random jpg pics.

same problem

Assuming that those .JPG pics were added to the project "unaltered" (no adjustments or effects applied to them inside Studio):

What size are they? Dimensions (pixels wide x high) and the actual file size in megabytes?

Note that legacy versions of Studio are known to have trouble with extremely large images (greater than about 4000 pixels in either dimension) - so if your pics are very large, try using an image editor program to make resized/resampled copies for use in Studio. At the same time, also consider cropping to 16:9 aspect ratio to include just the interesting parts of the subject and avoid the variable size black bars visible in the screenshots you have posted.

Suggestion - crop the image to 16:9 aspect ratio and then use the highest quality resampling method provided by your image editor to to reduce the size to "full-HD" (1920x1080), then save a copy at that resolution to use in Studio (keeping the original (high resolution) original for other applications, printing, etc.).

Regards,
      Richard

•  05-02-2019, 10:03 784426 in reply to 784397

as you see these are just standard pics that come from microsoft.

you may have them on your computer!

thanks 

•  05-02-2019, 14:48 784434 in reply to 784426

I do recall those sample images (from the days of Windows XP?) - I don't have them here any more but I guess they are pretty small (1024x768 or thereabouts).

So with that last sample project it does not appear to be the still images that are causing the trouble... Some troublehooting ideas:

• PC details - what is it (especially type of CPU, how much RAM, what make/model of graphics card? FWIW Studio doesn't play nicely with some really ancient graphic cards or integrated graphics (old graphics built into the motherboard chipset, not the CPU) that share system memory,
      • Operating system. I am guessing because of the "glass" effect in the title bar, that is's Windows 7 with the "Aero" desktop themes turned on. Is it up to date with all relevant service packs/patches? But if it isn't Windows 7, how is the "Aero" desktop being provided? If vai some third parfty hack or tweaking tool, try turning it off. And, for Windows 7 with "genuine" Aero, try disabling it while Studio is running (you can set the compatibility setting "Disable desktop compositing" for Studio's desktop shotrtcut (Aero would turn off when Studio is launched and turn on again when Studio is closed)
      • Graphic drivers - are they up to date?
      • DirectX - is it "up to date" (no damage/corruption or required components missing)? I believe that the Studio 12 install disc should have included it as a "prerequisite - but otherwise a good "one size fits all" version is the "June 2010 redistributable" (Studio 14 & 15 + all mnodern versions from Avid Studio onwards use that same redistributable (if all else fails you can get it from Microsoft here)
      • Studio - is it up to date (with the 12.1.3.6605 patch)?
      • Does Studio run as an administrator (certainly necessary for Windows 8.1 and 10 due to more robust security settings that would prevent Studio from making changes to some of its settings unless it runs as an administrator. I can't remember if the same applies to Windows 7. In Windows 8.1 and to, the setting may be allied automatically for you whn Studio was installed (its desktop icon would show the little shield in the bottom-rigtht, and when launched you'd get the "user account control" prompt asking if you want to let Studio make changes to your computer. If Studio isn't currently running as an andmistrator, you can add that as a "compatibility" setting.
      HTH
      Richard
    •  05-02-2019, 15:40 784438 in reply to 784434

thanks but this computer has been using pin 12.1 for many many years.

i set it back to factory specs recently and that worked for a while, just not now.

suggestions about how to check the computer would be welcome. it does not connect to the internet

Page 1 of 2 (34 items)   1 2 Next >
    View as RSS news feed in XML
    Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy