Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Help please.. 710-USB Firewire capture

Last post 05-05-2020, 4:09 by PHVideo. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-15-2019, 17:10 783934

Help please.. 710-USB Firewire capture

I have a 710-USB which I use to capture analog video flawlessly, but I've been given a mini DV tape to capture. I'm trying to connect the camera to the firewire port of the 710-USB and the PC isn't seeing it.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks 

•  04-15-2019, 17:16 783935 in reply to 783934

Re:Help please.. 710-USB Firewire capture

What version of Studio are you using ?
  •  04-15-2019, 17:18 783936 in reply to 783935

Re: Re:Help please.. 710-USB Firewire capture

Not using Studio, I'm using Nero video to capture.. I can see S-Video and Composite as input options but no firewire. 
  •  05-04-2020, 17:44 798824 in reply to 783934

Re: Help please.. 710-USB Firewire capture

You have a chicken and elephant situation. Devil Two different animals. Wink The analog capture device reads the analog signal from the "tape" (NTSC or PAL output) and coverts that signal to a digital code in a video file. The Mini DV tape contains a digital coded video file. One needs a DV transfer program found on older Pinnacle Studio programs or one of the many freeware programs, like  WinDV. Set the camera in VCR mode and connect by firewire. The program will (should) be able to control the camera and transfer the video file from the tape to the computer.

There is no "capture" (re-recording) of the DV in the process as there is in digitizing analog video or audio. The digital file was recorded by the camera to tape but to copy that digital file one must run the complete tape.   A 60 min, tape takes 60 min. to transfer because of the liner nature of tape.

•  05-05-2020, 1:42 798834 in reply to 798824

Stewart Lavis:

You have a chicken and elephant situation. Devil Two different animals. Wink The analog capture device reads the analog signal from the "tape" (NTSC or PAL output) and coverts that signal to a digital code in a video file. The Mini DV tape contains a digital coded video file. One needs a DV transfer program found on older Pinnacle Studio programs or one of the many freeware programs, like  WinDV. Set the camera in VCR mode and connect by firewire. The program will (should) be able to control the camera and transfer the video file from the tape to the computer.

There is no "capture" (re-recording) of the DV in the process as there is in digitizing analog video or audio. The digital file was recorded by the camera to tape but to copy that digital file one must run the complete tape.   A 60 min, tape takes 60 min. to transfer because of the liner nature of tape.

This is a situation that was reported over one year ago. Not sure if he has already solved the problem by now. 

•  05-05-2020, 4:09 798838 in reply to 798834

I apologise, I thought I posted the resolution. In the end I purchased a standalone FireWire card. Although Nero seen and worked with the hardware it just wasn’t reliable enough for a long term solution. I’m also currently using Studio 21 to capture the footage.

Thanks 

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy