Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

iPhone .MOV files

Last post 02-14-2019, 13:25 by saby. 35 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (36 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-09-2019, 17:44 779710

iPhone .MOV files

Studio 22 does not recognize the .MOV video files (1080p/60) on my iPhone 8. The importer sees the iPhone and recognizes the JPEGs on it but not the videos. I've even tried copying them to disk and then importing them from there, but still no-go. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Michael

•  02-09-2019, 17:59 779711 in reply to 779710

Re:iPhone .MOV files

Are these files recorded in HEVC ?

Use Mediainfo to check it out : http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/thread/708486.aspx

•  02-09-2019, 18:07 779712 in reply to 779710

Re: iPhone .MOV files

Attachment: Import filter.jpg

I assume you mean the Import tab and not Quick Import.

Studio should recognizes the file type *.mov even if if finds the contents of a particular mov file incompatible and choke when it imports it. Are you seing other types of video in the Import window?

At the bottom of the Import window is a filter.

•  02-09-2019, 20:25 779718 in reply to 779711

Re: Re:iPhone .MOV files

saby:

Are these files recorded in HEVC ?

Use Mediainfo to check it out : http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/thread/708486.aspx

No. Video is AVC, audio AAC LC. Container is listed as "MPEG-4 (QuickTime)".

•  02-09-2019, 20:31 779719 in reply to 779712

jjn:

I assume you mean the Import tab and not Quick Import.

Studio should recognizes the file type *.mov even if if finds the contents of a particular mov file incompatible and choke when it imports it. Are you seing other types of video in the Import window?

At the bottom of the Import window is a filter.

Used the Import tab. No problem finding and importing .MTS files from other cameras. Studio lists .MOV as a compatible format, but it completely ignores mine. Only files I've ever had trouble importing.

•  02-10-2019, 3:00 779724 in reply to 779719

Do they refused to be dragged from a File Explorer window into a bin?

Does it see any .mov files? This one shows up in my importer and imports:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsQGA5vJayn7hPsDYf9pcSyl6I0xUQ

I don't have an iPhone so I can't test that.

•  02-10-2019, 3:12 779728 in reply to 779719

Possible trick => rename these files to .mp4 and retry to import them.
  •  02-10-2019, 12:35 779765 in reply to 779724

jjn:

Thanks. I tried dragging and dropping one of the files. It wouldn't go into the desired bin, however. Instead, it showed up in something labeled "I:", and I couldn't get it from there to where I wanted it. It did play back from there, however. It's perplexing. I use my iPhone as a backup when my main gear isn't handy, but it's my wife's primary video-recording tool. Lots of people record video on iPhones, so it's hard to understand why Pinnacle wouldn't support it properly.

•  02-10-2019, 12:35 779766 in reply to 779728

saby:
    Possible trick => rename these files to .mp4 and retry to import them.

Thanks. Didn't work, unfortunately.

•  02-10-2019, 13:43 779771 in reply to 779766

If you have VLC player, you could try to convert it to MP4 that way. Make a note of the video and audio stream specs. Open the video in VLC. Then Media> Convert/Save and follow the prompts.

Joe

•  02-11-2019, 2:23 779796 in reply to 779765

mdriggs:
    jjn:

Thanks. I tried dragging and dropping one of the files. It wouldn't go into the desired bin, however. Instead, it showed up in something labeled "I:",

As a subfolder in the Bn? That's where it would show up if you linked to it if that's where it was stored. Sort the bin by another category and it should show up under a different heading. Also try a quick import of the files you copied to the hard drive. Clearly .MOV is recognised as a valid format.

I'm very curious - if you downloaded the MOV file I linked to it does it show up in the importer? This would determine if its the whole file type of just something iPhone related.

(you do have Qucktime loaded?)

•  02-11-2019, 12:43 779817 in reply to 779771

loosecannon:

If you have VLC player, you could try to convert it to MP4 that way. Make a note of the video and audio stream specs. Open the video in VLC. Then Media> Convert/Save and follow the prompts.

Don't have VLC player, but maybe I should get a conversion program and try that.

•  02-11-2019, 13:00 779818 in reply to 779796

jjn:
    mdriggs:
    jjn:

Thanks. I tried dragging and dropping one of the files. It wouldn't go into the desired bin, however. Instead, it showed up in something labeled "I:",

As a subfolder in the Bn? That's where it would show up if you linked to it if that's where it was stored. Sort the bin by another category and it should show up under a different heading. Also try a quick import of the files you copied to the hard drive. Clearly .MOV is recognised as a valid format.

I'm very curious - if you downloaded the MOV file I linked to it does it show up in the importer? This would determine if its the whole file type of just something iPhone related.

(you do have Qucktime loaded?)

Thanks again. I was trying to move it by dragging it, not link to it. In any event, I: was an empty slot in my computer's card reader; the drive I was dragging from was J:. Part of the reason for the import is to copy the files. I suppose I could copy the files to the location I want them and then try to Quick Import from there. Still, shouldn't have to do that. Maybe I should submit a ticket. I was able, by the way, to import your test .MOV file, no problem. What equipment did you shoot that with? And no, I don't have QuickTime loaded; I really try to avoid QuickTime.

•  02-11-2019, 13:01 779819 in reply to 779796

I just tried importing some 4k video from my iPhone X.  I was unable to get the S22 importer to recognize the files for download to my computer.  (It does recognize HEIC photos.)  I then downloaded the files to my computer using other software and was able to drag and drop the files using Windows File Explorer to an S22 Project Bin.  From there, they preview just fine and can be played in the timeline.

Added:  I do have Quicktime installed on my machine.

•  02-11-2019, 13:03 779820 in reply to 779818

Michael,

Is it possible that you share with us (in public or via private message) a small sample video file from your iPhone ?

•  02-11-2019, 13:14 779821 in reply to 779818

When you drag a file into a bin, you do link to it. What this has proved is that Pinnacle Studio isn't incompatible with iPhone 8 videos, because you can play it. The importer can also see .mov files (that one was created with Studio).

I'm not sure where you are looking for these videos. Windows/Pinnacle might have detected the iPhone as a stills camera. I've had this in the past when plugginh in a DSLR and had to look in My Computer to find the video clips on the camera card.

Lots of posters here use iPhone video. Pinnacle have even mentioned them in bug fixes.

•  02-11-2019, 13:21 779822 in reply to 779821

FWIW, the iPhone 8 has the same video formats as my iPhone X.  Although I used 4K video for my test, I'm confident that I will be able to play1080 HD video from the device.  It is odd that S22 can't find the media on the device when using the Importer, but that may be because of the storage file system on the phone.  I will try to see if the videos are stored in the same folders as the images.

Added:  Yes, the video files are stored in the same folder as the photos, but the S22 Importer just doesn't see them.

•  02-11-2019, 13:23 779823 in reply to 779822

iPhone 8 is using HEIF container for its videos ?
  •  02-11-2019, 13:27 779824 in reply to 779823

saby:
    iPhone 8 is using HEIF container for its videos ?
    I believe it's the default configuration.

•  02-11-2019, 17:22 779830 in reply to 779824

Attachment: iPhone.jpg
    Some feedback from Facebook...

•  02-11-2019, 17:44 779831 in reply to 779819

gjslaw:

I just tried importing some 4k video from my iPhone X.  I was unable to get the S22 importer to recognize the files for download to my computer.  (It does recognize HEIC photos.)  I then downloaded the files to my computer using other software and was able to drag and drop the files using Windows File Explorer to an S22 Project Bin.  From there, they preview just fine and can be played in the timeline.

Added:  I do have Quicktime installed on my machine.

I use Windows Explorer to copy files from my iPhone when I need to. I did this to copy the files I want to a thumb drive, and from there I again tried dragging and dropping one to the desired bin. And again, it put it into someplace labeled I: instead of the bin. (Drive I: in my system is currently an empty slot in my card reader.) The importer sees photos just fine -- only the videos are a problem.

•  02-11-2019, 17:50 779832 in reply to 779823

saby:
    iPhone 8 is using HEIF container for its videos?

It can use HEVC, but I selected the "Most Compatible" option on my phone, which uses JPEG and H.264 instead of HEIF and HEVC. (4K/60p and 1080/240p modes force HEVC, but none of my videos are in either of those formats.) I chose that option because, wait for it, I assumed that would result in better compatibility. Maybe I got that wrong. Still, nothing about my files appears exotic, so this issue is puzzling.

•  02-11-2019, 18:06 779834 in reply to 779820

saby:
    Michael,

Is it possible that you share with us (in public or via private message) a small sample video file from your iPhone ?

I tried, but the forum software puts a 512-kB limit on file sizes. Hard to make a video that short at the settings I'm using.

•  02-11-2019, 18:08 779835 in reply to 779821

jjn:

When you drag a file into a bin, you do link to it. What this has proved is that Pinnacle Studio isn't incompatible with iPhone 8 videos, because you can play it. The importer can also see .mov files (that one was created with Studio).

I'm not sure where you are looking for these videos. Windows/Pinnacle might have detected the iPhone as a stills camera. I've had this in the past when plugginh in a DSLR and had to look in My Computer to find the video clips on the camera card.

Lots of posters here use iPhone video. Pinnacle have even mentioned them in bug fixes.

In addition to importing directly from the phone, I've also tried copying the files from the phone to a thumb drive and then importing them from there, but Studio still doesn't see them.

•  02-11-2019, 18:14 779836 in reply to 779835

Attachment: iphone 2.jpg
    Seems like the importer doesn't work from the iphone for everyone. They recommend copying them from the phone to the HDD. Have you tried that?

Page 1 of 2 (36 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy