Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Opinions of Adobe Premier

Last post 02-05-2019, 15:53 by Eightysix86. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-05-2019, 9:09 779334

Opinions of Adobe Premier

Hi everyone,

First off, I don't plan on dropping PS from my workflow.  I'm also a big Camtasia Studio user and often prefer their video editing platform for basic edits.  But for more serious projects where I can't be bothered with little glitches and poor titles......

Are there any PS users in here that also use (or have used) Adobe Premier?  I've had Adobe creative suite sitting on my computer for years.  I just haven't had the time to learn it.  I don't do a lot of crazy things in PS, but the things I do use I feel like it would take months to learn in Premier. I looked at it briefly a couple years ago but felt the learning curve was more than I had the time for.  I also had Sony Vegas and got a little more into that, but ended up feeling the same.  I always came back to Pinnacle Studio.  The software also has a bad rep (Corel, Pinnacle, etc) among editors.  Around here, people ask if you're either FCP or Premier.  I liked it better when I used Avid Studio, then I would just say "Avid".  I know what your thinking, who cares, it's about the final product - and I agree with you.  But it's not the world we live in, and people judge resumes.

My main reason for asking is because it seems maybe I am asking too much from PS and it's time to take the plunge.  For those that use Premier, can you share your experience with it, pros/cons, and any resources you found helpful when you were starting out?  I know Premier is not new software but I feel like I connect with you guys for some reason:)

•  02-05-2019, 10:46 779340 in reply to 779334

Re: Opinions of Adobe Premier

It costs too much. You have to subscribe whether you like it or not. Stop subscribing? Guess what happens.  Oh, and there really is no AMD support for multicore CPU/GPU. Heck, even for Intel, they do not support multicore CPU's well. 

The learning curve is a lot steeper. 

Who cares if Pinnacle has a bad "rep", if it works for you. I bet NO one would be able to tell what I edit my videos with. Especially since I do not used the "canned" transitions in any program that I use. I would ask "does it make a difference?". When I was editing back in the States, no one ever asked me what I used. They wanted results. If I were looking for work in video editing world, yeah, Premiere/Avid/FCP I would have to learn. Now? I use Pinnacle for most of what I have to do. And yes, I have other software on my computer. Try creating Split Screen, syncing 6 cameras and 2 audio streams for multicam editing... Pinnacle is spot on easy for me in what I do. 

Where Pinnacle lacks TERRIBLY (and I've said this for years) is in a real title program and now, AMD support for HEVC. 

Visit the Premiere forum, guess what you will read about.... bugs and crashes. Same with any editor. 

Side note.... this is a Pinnacle user forum.... asking for Premiere help is not the polite thing to do. Wink

•  02-05-2019, 11:50 779342 in reply to 779340

Thanks Tony,
    Cost is not an issue for me since I work at a university.  I hear you about the rep of the program.  At my job, sometimes using a specific program speaks to your skills (of which I do not agree), but it is what it is.  What I care most about though is supplementing an additional editor into my workflow to compensate for the things that Pinnacle lacks.

Perhaps this should be moved to an off-topic thread?  If there is one. 

•  02-05-2019, 12:08 779344 in reply to 779342

Eightysix86:

Done - you should have got an email.

I'm surprised you don't consider Avid Media Composer. It's the del facto standard in the UK broadcast industry. The new First version is free and if money isn't an issue then the the other versions are on a subscription.

There is also Resolve - free.

It's the learning curve that is the biggest thing that keeps me with PS.

•  02-05-2019, 12:14 779346 in reply to 779344

Yes, that learning curve is pretty big. Especially if you have something that has to be done "now".

I've been using PS in it's current "form" since Avid Studio. It has it's ups and downs. But at the end of the day, whatever I start with it, I finish. Yeah, there are those moments when I "hate" it.. but I know it like the back of my hand.

Resolve is free. Need the appropriate hardware to use it and learning nodes, well, it's not impossible.

Avid Media Composer has come down in price a lot. It's less than Premiere for yearly subscription.

•  02-05-2019, 15:53 779372 in reply to 779344

jjn:
    Eightysix86:

Done - you should have got an email.

I'm surprised you don't consider Avid Media Composer. It's the del facto standard in the UK broadcast industry. The new First version is free and if money isn't an issue then the the other versions are on a subscription.

There is also Resolve - free.

It's the learning curve that is the biggest thing that keeps me with PS.

I had mentally wrote off Avid.  I know of it's popularity but had assumed the learning curve is the steepest.   It's the learning curve that is the biggest thing that keeps me with PS.  -  I agree jjn

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy